Recommendation for controlling IR devices from PC - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-14-2014, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Recommendation for controlling IR devices from PC

Hi. I'm in search for a Plug-and-Play type of device that will allow me to easily turn on my AVR and TV from my PC.

I've seen a couple of solutions (IguanaSoft, WDP Software) but they seem very "homebrew", relying on WinLIRC for their operation, which I've already used and find quite involved to set up (especially when having to reinstall the PC).
For the record, no, it's not that I can't set it up, it's just that I want something less cumbersome.

Is there anything I'm missing? IE, a more developed commercial solution to do this?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-14-2014, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by tHE_uKER View Post
Hi. I'm in search for a Plug-and-Play type of device that will allow me to easily turn on my AVR and TV from my PC.

I've seen a couple of solutions (IguanaSoft, WDP Software) but they seem very "homebrew", relying on WinLIRC for their operation, which I've already used and find quite involved to set up (especially when having to reinstall the PC).
For the record, no, it's not that I can't set it up, it's just that I want something less cumbersome.

Is there anything I'm missing? IE, a more developed commercial solution to do this?

Thanks in advance!
What about the pulse-eight CEC adapter? If everything is connected together via HDMI (and everything is CEC compatible), this could work for you.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-14-2014, 04:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked: 430
I'd recommend a universal remote instead of using your PC for that kind of thing. But if you must, forget about IR and just use HDMI CEC (pulse eight)
post #4 of 6 Old 08-14-2014, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 161
If your other equipment is within sight of the remote then all you need is a universal remote that can be programmed with macros. Harmony remotes can be set up to control activities and will turn on just the components required for the selected activity. They're smart remotes so if you switch to a different activity it remembers what's already switched on and just turns on the additional components. When you press the OFF button it only sends a shutdown command to whatever was turned on.

For example, to select an activity to watch TV, the following commands are issued:

Turn on TV
Turn on source component (i.e., cable box, etc.)
Switch inputs on your receiver
Switch inputs on the TV
Etc.

You tell the remote what components are required for the specified activity when programming it using the software. You configure the software on your PC for whatever you want to control and then download the configuration to the remote via a USB cable. Logitech has a huge library of device codes so all you need to do is identify the device by type and make and model and the codes are downloaded to the remote automatically from their website. You actually configure the remote over the internet and the configuration is stored in your account.

If your components are tucked away out of sight, they also make RF remotes with IR repeaters that do the same thing.
post #5 of 6 Old 08-14-2014, 05:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked: 430
If cost is an issue, universal remotes with macros as described above can be had for about $3. Even the remote that came with your old cable box can do macros and is programmable via PC with the addition of a cheap cable. See the links in my signature for details.
post #6 of 6 Old 08-14-2014, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 28
What make is your AVR and is it networkable?
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
infrared ir control pc