Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

Old 08-27-2014, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Bummer.

I cannot see those XFX R7-250E's available anywhere in the UK. They seem like they would have fitted (although it is a shame they have a fan).

Is there a good GPU heat sink out there (passive or not) which would mount onto any regular single slot R7 GPU and allow me to cool from the other side or in fact from any angle/location.

Dean.

I wonder if I can get a few more sticks of RAM in my children.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2014, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_wales View Post
Bummer.

I cannot see those XFX R7-250E's available anywhere in the UK. They seem like they would have fitted (although it is a shame they have a fan).

Is there a good GPU heat sink out there (passive or not) which would mount onto any regular single slot R7 GPU and allow me to cool from the other side or in fact from any angle/location.

Dean.
You know what I was thinking? You should be able to just take the cooler off that 4650 you have there and then mount it to another card. I'm actually not sure what the GPU heatsink mount spacing is on these cards though and if they are different. However usually cards of the same manufacturer and same segment (e.g. low-end, mid-level, and high-end) usually use the same cooler mount spacing. It's possible a 4650 and a 7750 and R7 250 all share the same mount holes. It's also possible the cooler on there now is adjustable for different mount holes.

If you could do that, you'd be all set. The only thing is now to find out what the spacing is on the card you have and what it will be on a 7750/Cape Verde or an r7 250. Now the card you have now is 50W TDP and a 7750 is more like 70W but you could always add a fan on the other side there as it looks like there is room. The other thing you'd have to worry about is VRM cooling but that's probably not a huge deal on a card in this segment--some stick on sinks will probably do the job fine if the cooler doesn't touch the VRM area.

That way you could get any 7750 (or R7 250, Cape Verde Edition, lol) and just switch the cooler.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:04 AM - Thread Starter

That would be a great solution if it were possible. Surely the rather wimpy cooler on the HD4650 wouldn't be up to it? The cooler on the passive R7 250 is huge. Maybe with a little fan support.

How can I find out card layouts? Lots of googling I'm guessing or go into a store.

The irony is that I have a really great big passive or active cooler on the side strapped to a HD4870. If only I could use that (can't remember the brand but it was high end). Alas it is slim but still on the same wrong side of the card. Effectively making it a double slot.

Dean.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Old 08-28-2014, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_wales View Post
That would be a great solution if it were possible. Surely the rather wimpy cooler on the HD4650 wouldn't be up to it? The cooler on the passive R7 250 is huge. Maybe with a little fan support.

How can I find out card layouts? Lots of googling I'm guessing or go into a store.

The irony is that I have a really great big passive or active cooler on the side strapped to a HD4870. If only I could use that (can't remember the brand but it was high end). Alas it is slim but still on the same wrong side of the card. Effectively making it a double slot.

Dean.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Yeah determining the hole spacing will be tough. I searched on intarwebs and only came up with the higher end ATi cards' spacing which is 53.x mm or something like that. However I think the lower end cards have a smaller spacing. I guess the best thing would be to remove the cooler, find out your spacing, and then see if a local shop has cards out (or that they can take out) so you can measure the spacing on them.

The cooler you have now, what kind of temps do you see if you run FurMark? I think it will be alright to cool 20W (40%) more TDP if you mount a fan or two to it. They probably don't even have to run that fast as even low RPM fans should extract enough heat.
Old 09-01-2014, 03:27 AM - Thread Starter

The R7 250 shipped before I was able to cancel it (looks really nice!). I am at work but early indications are as follows...

Mixed feelings. One one hand the location of the chip and cooler mounting holes look like they might be compatible with the Zalman cooler on my old HD4650. Which means there is a chance that I could just move the cooler across.

On the other hand the card is a dual slot (so I would have to hack saw the mounting plate to fit. And the passive cooler it comes with is absolutely massive! I can't imagine that the smaller Zalman cooler will be able to keep the chip cool!?

So I am torn. My options are:
a) Keep the card and (if compatible) try and run it with the Zalman cooler.
b) Return the card for a single slot, low profile version and (if compatible) and try to fit my cooler to that one (http://www.ebuyer.com/580272-xfx-r7-...d-r7-250a-clf4)
c) Return the card and (if not campatible) give up unless I can find a UK source for the single slot HD7750 that was available in the US.

Suggestions welcome! Such a shame I can't just drop in the card I have here.

Dean.