Looking to replace SageTV with new setup....Help - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 08-16-2014, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking to replace SageTV with new setup....Help

So I've been using sagetv for about 10yrs. But the last of my streaming devies are dying. So I'm lookin to replace the whole setup.

I would like to be able to:

record tv shows, from cable.
Play rip'd dvd's and blurays
play music and store photos

Is there anything out there that I could use? I have no issues build a HTPC, but I would need some base software and streaming devices to play the content on my TV's.

Any thought or pointers would be great.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-17-2014, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I keep telling myself when my SageTV dies, I'll let it go knowing it lived a good life, but then I look around and there's nothing on the market to replace it. Instead of letting it die a natural death, I've resorted to extrodinary measures to resucitate it and keep it working. When the power supplies for the Hauppauge encoders failed, I replaced them. When the motherboard failed from bad capacitors, I had a friend migrate the Window XP hard drive to a new motherboard by performing registry hacks, and that was not easy. Then my Motorola DCT6200 tuners failed, also due to bad capacitors. The same friend used a soldering iron to replace individual capacitors on the tuner circuit boards to get those working again. It still works, barely. And I'm happy it's still alive.

Apparently SageTV has a new life as version 8 in Google Fiber TV: http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?p=565124&postcount=18
post #3 of 11 Old 08-18-2014, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Windows Media Center and Windows Media Center Extenders.

Mostly same functionality, but adds support for encrypted and copyright protected cable like HBO and Cinemax.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!

post #4 of 11 Old 08-18-2014, 09:48 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiedgod View Post
Windows Media Center and Windows Media Center Extenders.

Mostly same functionality, but adds support for encrypted and copyright protected cable like HBO and Cinemax.
This works up to and until you try to play back a ripped Blu-ray at full bit rate. Then you need to either tanscode to a Roku or need to either have a NUC or other HTPC as the client for movies in addition to the WMC extender for TV/PVR use.

post #5 of 11 Old 08-18-2014, 10:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post
This works up to and until you try to play back a ripped Blu-ray at full bit rate. Then you need to either tanscode to a Roku or need to either have a NUC or other HTPC as the client for movies in addition to the WMC extender for TV/PVR use.

Maybe I am a minority, but we only have 1 relatively large TV (55") where raw BD rips would've made a difference. The rest of the TV's (6x total) in the house are 42" and under (1x 42", 2x 24", 2x19"), where raw or compressed BD/DVD rips make no difference, since you can't really see the difference.

They are mainly used for live and recorded TV, as well as DVD rips converted to XVID due to the extender support limitation, and my refusal to spend more on something that no one in the house would be able to tell the difference.

Kids don't really care if Bugs Bunny/Dora/Jack/Elmo/Cat in the hat/ is in 1080p or 480p.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #6 of 11 Old 08-18-2014, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For Windows Media Center Extenders, is Xbox' the only ones that can connect?

Thanks for the reply's everyone!
post #7 of 11 Old 08-18-2014, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiedgod View Post
Maybe I am a minority, but we only have 1 relatively large TV (55") where raw BD rips would've made a difference. The rest of the TV's (6x total) in the house are 42" and under (1x 42", 2x 24", 2x19"), where raw or compressed BD/DVD rips make no difference, since you can't really see the difference.

They are mainly used for live and recorded TV, as well as DVD rips converted to XVID due to the extender support limitation, and my refusal to spend more on something that no one in the house would be able to tell the difference.

Kids don't really care if Bugs Bunny/Dora/Jack/Elmo/Cat in the hat/ is in 1080p or 480p.
This is basically why I am now using Roku and MediaBrowserServer but still have full bit rate rips for playback on the 60" plasma via HTPC in the family room.

post #8 of 11 Old 08-18-2014, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdefino View Post

That and Ceton Echo and some of the older Linksys and HP units but they are probably aging hardware just as your SAGE TV stuff is.

post #9 of 11 Old 08-19-2014, 07:11 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post
That and Ceton Echo and some of the older Linksys and HP units but they are probably aging hardware just as your SAGE TV stuff is.
I'll add that a lot of people have had very unsatisfactory experiences with the Echo (myself included). I don't want to start an argument about it, but I'd recommend that the OP do a search and judge for him/herself.

The Xbox is larger than the other extenders and the video quality is somewhat diminished but I think that it generally provides the best and most reliable consumer experience for most people.

If OP is not interested in streaming premium/protected content there are a few more options available for clients (such as SFF PCs).
post #10 of 11 Old 08-19-2014, 08:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdefino View Post

Only 2 products remain available through retail, XBOX 360 and Ceton Echo. Linksys, D-Link and HP products are no longer manufactured, but available through secondary market.

I'm rocking 5x Linksys (DMA 2100 and DMA 2200 mix). I have no intentions of switching, unless they die.

post #11 of 11 Old 08-19-2014, 09:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 650 Post(s)
Liked: 432
After seeing the Comcast X1 in action recently I really think that will be my WMC/HTPC replacement when the time comes. If WMC were actively developed it would look like the X1.

My basement media room and bar
Epson 2030, Onkyo TX-NR626, and Kodi based system

Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page