Best way to watch NFL games on HTPC ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 34Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 96 Old 08-17-2014, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Mfusick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Western MA
Posts: 22,761
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Best way to watch NFL games on HTPC ?

So in the past it was possible to "trick" NFL.com into giving you free streaming NFL games by using a VPN with a location in key areas of Europe because NFL gave away free access to those countries in their desire to expand into that market and gain fans.

Anyone know if this is still possible this year? The icon is gone when I tried it, but it's only pre season.

If so, what is the best way to get the games via streaming ??? I like to watch more than one game at once, like picture in picture and use the PC as a source for a second game because it works well. Or the ipad. My main screen runs the normal cable broadcast.

I'm not opposed to paying either, but I'm not a direcTV customer and can't get it because of line of sight issues (otherwise I would have it).

Last year I also bought the Madden NFL game for XBOX just because it came with free online sunday ticket (which worked great!) [also never played the game so if you want to buy it make me an offer, it's new still] That worked great on the ipad with the sunday ticket app for ipad.


I have not seen that offered yet either.

With a VPN service that can bounce your location (even inside USA) you can watch even the black out games via streaming. But I'm not seeing a good way to get the games yet this season. ???

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Mfusick is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 96 Old 08-18-2014, 01:19 AM
Member
 
umeng2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
HDTV tuner card and a good Antenna? Sunday night games are already streamed for free. I don't think ESPN does Monday night games though...
umeng2002 is offline  
post #3 of 96 Old 08-18-2014, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jhoff80's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,075
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Don't even necessarily need VPN... if you use something like the "Hola Better Internet" Chrome extension, and say to use, for example, a Netherlands server... And once you get to the signup/signin page, you're set, you can disable the extension so that your credit card and then login details aren't at risk. You'll have to do this every time you log into the games, but I've 'heard' that it SHOULD work.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
jhoff80 is offline  
post #4 of 96 Old 08-18-2014, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Mfusick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Western MA
Posts: 22,761
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by umeng2002 View Post
HDTV tuner card and a good Antenna? Sunday night games are already streamed for free. I don't think ESPN does Monday night games though...
No I want ALL THE GAMES... Not just the locals. I'll pay. That's not the problem either. I might end up buying sunday ticket on someone else's directv account and just using the internet side of that myself...

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Mfusick is online now  
post #5 of 96 Old 08-18-2014, 09:00 AM
Member
 
SlantNGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
No I want ALL THE GAMES... Not just the locals. I'll pay. That's not the problem either. I might end up buying sunday ticket on someone else's directv account and just using the internet side of that myself...
DirecTV is offering Sunday Ticket this year for non-DirecTV subscribers who either live in one of several qualified metro areas or college towns, are on a list of apartment buildings that forbid installation of dishes, or are unable to receive DirecTV at their location. See if you qualify for this--$199 for the season.

Personally, I've stopped watching sports live whenever possible. Without commercials and breaks, games take only about 2/3 as long. I'm planning on just ordering NFL Game Rewind and watching games on Monday. Sunday I'll just stay off social media. We'll see how well that works.
SlantNGo is offline  
post #6 of 96 Old 08-18-2014, 09:54 AM
Member
 
bakerja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Nashville
Posts: 145
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlantNGo View Post
DirecTV is offering Sunday Ticket this year for non-DirecTV subscribers who either live in one of several qualified metro areas or college towns, are on a list of apartment buildings that forbid installation of dishes, or are unable to receive DirecTV at their location. See if you qualify for this--$199 for the season.

Personally, I've stopped watching sports live whenever possible. Without commercials and breaks, games take only about 2/3 as long. I'm planning on just ordering NFL Game Rewind and watching games on Monday. Sunday I'll just stay off social media. We'll see how well that works.
That's what I do in conjunction with OTA/TIVO. I watch the OTA games first because I can start on Sunday (I buffer about an hour to skip the ads) and have games all through the week.
JustaSheep likes this.

JAB

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bakerja is offline  
post #7 of 96 Old 08-18-2014, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Mfusick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Western MA
Posts: 22,761
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 815
I only have local channels, but I am a die hard NFL fan. I need to watch all the games live. Commercials or not. Trust me I know about commercials and hate them too. No one on this forum is more sensitive to commercials than I am. I've completely changed how I watch TV with my HTPC to avoid live TV and cable. But for sports, there is no other way.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Mfusick is online now  
post #8 of 96 Old 08-18-2014, 08:08 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 138
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Buy the Sunday Ticket from DirectTV.
htpcforever is offline  
post #9 of 96 Old 08-18-2014, 08:45 PM
Senior Member
 
emcdade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 310
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Learn to love the Red Zone channel. It's a dream come true for a degenerate gambler such as myself. I would hate to have to navigate every game on my own.
Ou8thisSN likes this.
emcdade is offline  
post #10 of 96 Old 08-18-2014, 09:38 PM
Advanced Member
 
lovekeiiy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 995
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
NFL Game Pass service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
... NFL.com into giving you free streaming NFL games by using a VPN with a location[s] NFL gave away free access to ... countries [with no TV contracts] to expand into that market and gain fans. ....
I corrected some of your first statement about the NFL's free service. What has happened, NFL has gotten a lot more aggressive about VPNs. Basically, they've red flagged the popular VPN servers for their free regions, but they haven't banned them outright; they just require to buy a subscription.

Remember, this service isn't not available in the USA and it's terrorities, Mexico and a few other spots. Some areas such as Canada don't offer all the available services (I think Canada doesn't get the NFL Network or Playoffs). Other Areas such as the UK have a few blacked out games; like a total or three or four the whole season. I've been using the service for over four years.

The service provided by the NFL is called NFL Game Pass: (nfl.com/gamepass or gamepass.nlf.com). They have different packages you can choose from:

graphic grabbed from UnoTelly.com

It should be noted, the prices are region dependent. The above pricing is the most common and lowest. Personally, I like the Season Plus plan since it gives access to NLF Network and most of the archived shows such as Football Life, NFL films Superbowl shows, and so on. Then again, I watch the NFL Network almost everyday.

I cannot vouch for Hola. I've heard of others using it and they like it.

Personally use a VPN. I use it all year round, so I just buy an annual subscription to the service. What I will say, with VPNs, you get what you pay for. You're just not going to get high throughput on a free service. VPNs have to pay for bandwidth too. I use this with other services too such as MLB, NHL, BBC iPlayer and so on. Many VPNs give discounts for longer commitments, so you can get the price down to around $5US per month. In addition. some VPN include multiple servers and you can at any time, and others you have to pick one location; the one I use has a quite a few. Also, you may want to go with one that has been around for a while. You traffic may be safe from outside the pipe, but not within in it. Thus, established services has built up trust. Another thing to consider is mobile access. I use a service that includes it (except on one particular phone that is over four years old now).

The last part I say because the Game Pass includes mobile access and has an app for Android and iOS. I have thread on XDA to download GamePass apk

On a side note for VPNs, if you're into torrenting, you're going to want to pay attention to their home base location and read their TOS. Some will report your IP to law enforcement and subpoenas. Some VPN services state explicitly torrenting is TOS violation.

Lastly, if you do subscribe, there is a promo code for 15% off. Here'a link to the post where someone informed me about it on XDA thread I mentioned earlier. Worth a try nonetheless.

With all that said, I know there are other services available. What I like about the NFL Game Pass, the quality is very good, very consistent and reliable versus things like FrontLineSports, JustinTV. DirectTVs service is more expensive and limited on who gets to use it. I haven't tried it, but I suspect NFL is the one providing the actually video streams; DirectTV may provide the portal but they're most likely a billing agent and they want their "cut" since they have exclusive rights to mutliple game feeds in the USA and its territories.
lovekeiiy is offline  
post #11 of 96 Old 08-19-2014, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
pittsoccer33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Pittsburgh (East Liberty)
Posts: 1,869
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 205
I'd probably just try calling up Directv and ordering the Sunday Ticket internet thingy from them. Thats definitely worth a shot. The worst outcome will be you saying "so you're telling me you don't want to take my money?"


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
pittsoccer33 is offline  
post #12 of 96 Old 08-19-2014, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Ou8thisSN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 2,515
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlantNGo View Post
Personally, I've stopped watching sports live whenever possible. Without commercials and breaks, games take only about 2/3 as long. I'm planning on just ordering NFL Game Rewind and watching games on Monday. Sunday I'll just stay off social media. We'll see how well that works.
I never understood the point of people who DVR games and then watch it later. It's not like its a drama or a story with plotlines.. without ads, yes the games are 2/3rds as long but with non of the suspense inherent in sports. why not just watch the very end, or catch the highlights on sportcenter? I'm not picking on you, I'm just wondering / trying to understand how you can reconcile watching a live event like this, for an entire season.
Mfusick likes this.
Ou8thisSN is offline  
post #13 of 96 Old 08-19-2014, 02:44 PM
Member
 
SlantNGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ou8thisSN View Post
I never understood the point of people who DVR games and then watch it later. It's not like its a drama or a story with plotlines.. without ads, yes the games are 2/3rds as long but with non of the suspense inherent in sports. why not just watch the very end, or catch the highlights on sportcenter? I'm not picking on you, I'm just wondering / trying to understand how you can reconcile watching a live event like this, for an entire season.
If I know the result before hand, then I often find it pointless to watch the games. Hence why staying off social media is key to this approach. I'm not sure how well it will work for the NFL given that it's all over the place. Currently I watch MLS and Bundesliga soccer, and it's pretty straightforward to not get results about either league. MLS offers a service (MLS Live) that allows you to watch out-of-market games from a website, and it allows you to time shift, so I often start watching the game half an hour in to skip the halftime break.

To answer your second question about the suspense, I don't see it as removing suspense. If I watched football games on the hyper mode where you skip the 30 seconds in between plays, then I agree that the suspense is removed. Removing a 3-minute commercial break? Especially when they occur right before and right after a kick-off? No suspense removed there. Do you also sense a lack of suspense in amateur sports that aren't televised and thus don't need to insert commercial breaks all over the place?

I think with the decision to purchase NFL Game Rewind ($50) rather than Sunday Ticket ($200), I'm committed to watching everything on Monday rather than Sunday this season, and hoping not to get any spoilers. We'll see how it goes.
SlantNGo is offline  
post #14 of 96 Old 08-19-2014, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Sammy2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Right next to Wineville, CA
Posts: 9,835
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
Don't even necessarily need VPN... if you use something like the "Hola Better Internet" Chrome extension, and say to use, for example, a Netherlands server... And once you get to the signup/signin page, you're set, you can disable the extension so that your credit card and then login details aren't at risk. You'll have to do this every time you log into the games, but I've 'heard' that it SHOULD work.
Made me laugh a bit...

Sammy2 is offline  
post #15 of 96 Old 08-23-2014, 06:06 PM
Advanced Member
 
lovekeiiy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 995
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ou8thisSN View Post
I never understood the point of people who DVR games and then watch it later. It's not like its a drama or a story with plotlines..
If you're really into the sport, the game as a whole is the drama. It's part of larger plot of getting to the championship game and taking home the big trophy.

Me for me example, I work grave shifts. Unfortunately, I don't get to watch all the games live. When there is a game I want to watch that has already completed, I have to stay off TV with news updates, any sports station on radio, and tell anyone who likes discussing sports not to say anything to me so I can have the suspense.

Other times, even though you know what happens, you just want to see it for yourself. You know the outcome, but not the path that was taken to get there.

As for out friend who is going to use Game Rewind, I wouldn't wait till Monday. They usually have the games up shortly after they have completed. It takes a few hours to get to feeds with all the commercials and half time removed. I have see the games up within fifteen minutes to watch, but they had the commercials. Trying to get through all Sunday without someone saying something may be next to impossible.
lovekeiiy is offline  
post #16 of 96 Old 08-24-2014, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Mfusick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Western MA
Posts: 22,761
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Not watching the game live isn't even an option; I skip funerals, birthdays, baptisms, weddings, graduations, and just about any other thing you might possibly think could be more important (but are wrong about).

My friends and family understand this; and if they don't I'm ok with not being friends or losing the relationship over it. I drew the line in the sand, my wife understood it before we get married and everyone else finally gets it. Sundays from Sept to Jan are for NFL.... Period... Stop. Waited on our "trying" for the pregnancy so our babies were not born in fall; just had twins in May.

I'm so far past the "watch it later" conversation I'm not even sure how to explain the extent of that to someone else. If I could create world peace and end world hunger by giving up watching NFL for rest of my life, the world would hate my decision.
dabotsonline and Dark_Slayer like this.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."

Last edited by Mfusick; 08-28-2014 at 11:14 AM.
Mfusick is online now  
post #17 of 96 Old 08-24-2014, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ajhieb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,393
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
Not watching the game live isn't even an option; I skip funerals, birthdays, baptisms, weddings, graduations, and just about any other thing you might possibly think could be more important (but are wrong about).

My friends and family understand this; and if they don't I'm ok with not being friends or losing the relationship over it. I drew the line in the sand, my wife understood it before we get married and everyone else finally gets it. Sundays from Sept to Jan are for NFL.... Period... Stop. Waited on our "trying" for the pregnancy so our babies were not born in fall; just had twins in May.

I'm so far past the "watch it later" conversation I'm not even sure how to explain the extent of that to someone else. If I could create world peace and end world hunger by giving up watching NFL for rest of my life, the work would hate my decision.
If it's that important to you, find a place to mount a dish, order DirecTV, get the Sunday Ticket and be done with it.

RAID protection is only for failed drives. That's it. It's no replacement for a proper backup.
ajhieb is offline  
post #18 of 96 Old 08-24-2014, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member
 
captain_video's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Posts: 3,559
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ou8thisSN View Post
I never understood the point of people who DVR games and then watch it later. It's not like its a drama or a story with plotlines.. without ads, yes the games are 2/3rds as long but with non of the suspense inherent in sports. why not just watch the very end, or catch the highlights on sportcenter? I'm not picking on you, I'm just wondering / trying to understand how you can reconcile watching a live event like this, for an entire season.
I'll never understand why people suffer through commercials so I guess that makes us even. I record every game I watch and start playback about 45 minutes into the game. This allows me to skip past the commercials and the halftime show so all I watch is the game and nothing but the game. By the time I get to the last two minutes I've caught up with live TV so I watch the end of the game in real time.

I don't even have to wait for my commercial skipping software to process the recording in order to skip commercials. Any WMC remote automatically has a 30-second skip function programmed into it. Every commercial break during the game is exactly two minutes so four quick presses and I'm back to the game. The break at each 2-minute warning is 2-1/2 minutes so I have to press the button one additional time. I fast forward through the halftime break.
StinDaWg, JustaSheep and freetvEE like this.
captain_video is offline  
post #19 of 96 Old 08-24-2014, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Ou8thisSN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 2,515
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Best way to watch NFL games on HTPC ?

I watch college and pro games with my laptop on my lap so im chatting with my friends from all over during thr game, so time shifting isnt a possibility for me, unless they all got dvrs too and we all somehow synched it up. Also im just one of those people who are just too darn impatient, if i knew i could just go fwd in time, i wouldnt watch all the plays between the breaks id constantly skip around and end up ruining the game.


Tablet
Ou8thisSN is offline  
post #20 of 96 Old 08-24-2014, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Dark_Slayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,550
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post
I'll never understand why people suffer through commercials so I guess that makes us even. I record every game I watch and start playback about 45 minutes into the game. This allows me to skip past the commercials and the halftime show so all I watch is the game and nothing but the game. By the time I get to the last two minutes I've caught up with live TV so I watch the end of the game in real time.

I don't even have to wait for my commercial skipping software to process the recording in order to skip commercials. Any WMC remote automatically has a 30-second skip function programmed into it. Every commercial break during the game is exactly two minutes so four quick presses and I'm back to the game. The break at each 2-minute warning is 2-1/2 minutes so I have to press the button one additional time. I fast forward through the halftime break.
+1

This was exactly what I did in the past, though I could never wait a full 45 minutes . . . 20 at the most so I ended with a few watched commercial breaks (those where trash talking opportunities though). This season I'll be watching live CFB in sports bars so there are more distractions for the breaks anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
Not watching the game live isn't even an option; I skip funerals, birthdays, baptisms, weddings, graduations, and just about any other thing you might possibly think could be more important (but are wrong about).

My friends and family understand this; and if they don't I'm ok with not being friends or losing the relationship over it. I drew the line in the sand, my wife understood it before we get married and everyone else finally gets it. Sundays from Sept to Jan are for NFL.... Period... Stop. Waited on our "trying" for the pregnancy so our babies were not born in fall; just had twins in May
You know if you had a reality show where you explained your opinions on stuff to family, friends, internet forums, etc . . . I think I would watch it
dabotsonline likes this.
Dark_Slayer is offline  
post #21 of 96 Old 08-24-2014, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Mfusick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Western MA
Posts: 22,761
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhieb View Post
If it's that important to you, find a place to mount a dish, order DirecTV, get the Sunday Ticket and be done with it.
As I explained I have line of sight issues or I would!

FYI: I did as in years past and bought on my dad's account. I spend a lot of time there watching games with him but he's too cheap to pay for it. I'll use the password for streaming at my house since he won't use that.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Mfusick is online now  
post #22 of 96 Old 08-24-2014, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ajhieb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,393
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
As I explained I have line of sight issues or I would!
Quitter.

A real football fan would find a spot to put that dish with proper line of sight. Unless you're house is located under a skyscraper, you're just not trying hard enough.
dabotsonline likes this.

RAID protection is only for failed drives. That's it. It's no replacement for a proper backup.
ajhieb is offline  
post #23 of 96 Old 08-24-2014, 10:06 PM
Advanced Member
 
lovekeiiy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 995
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I totally with Mfusik on the NFL. When I was talking paralegal classes at the local community college, years ago before smartphones and streamingm and digial OTA TV, I would bring a 3" handheld portable TV and have it on during class. I had the volume all the way down and sat in the front row. The teacher didn't say nothing because I was usually the one who blew the curve, LOL.

Now, I use a lot of streaming services. So if it's not on the big TV, I have it on my phone or tablet. I'll do this at friend's kid's sport events, while eating out, or just picking up a pizza to eat while watching the game at home. It may not be "legal", but I'll have games while driving down the road. I can drive and not stare at the screen.

The only reason I'm not watching some of the night games live is because I work grave shifts, go to school and don't get home till around 12:30 to 1pm. Just not enough sleep. Since I tell people don't say a word, when I watch the replay on NFL Game Pass, I get all the anticipation I would normally. I have similar issues with playoff games because I can't get enough sleep to watch all of them live.

Yes, my name is ... and I'm addicted to sports, especially the NFL.
lovekeiiy is offline  
post #24 of 96 Old 08-25-2014, 04:23 AM
AVS Special Member
 
captain_video's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Posts: 3,559
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekeiiy View Post
The teacher didn't say nothing because I was usually the one who blew the curve, LOL.
I hope it wasn't an English class. With that grammar I can only assume which way the curve got blown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
Not watching the game live isn't even an option; I skip funerals, birthdays, baptisms, weddings, graduations, and just about any other thing you might possibly think could be more important (but are wrong about).
Dude, you're a new parent with twins. There comes a time when you've got to grow up and give up certain things. If you think football is more important than any of the things you mentioned, it's past due time for an intervention.

Last edited by captain_video; 08-25-2014 at 04:26 AM.
captain_video is offline  
post #25 of 96 Old 08-25-2014, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Mfusick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Western MA
Posts: 22,761
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhieb View Post
Quitter.

A real football fan would find a spot to put that dish with proper line of sight. Unless you're house is located under a skyscraper, you're just not trying hard enough.
The biggest tree you ever saw in the way, not on my property.

I'm hoping after my addition remodel I'll have better chance with taller house and longer / better angle.

Trust me, I'm not scared. It is what it is. If I could I would. I'm planning on cutting my own huge tree down soon, my new garage is going there. I'm expecting to get it for my dedicated theater, even if I need a 100 foot pole on my roof.

I'll take a picture for you. You'll laugh. It's bad.
Mfusick is online now  
post #26 of 96 Old 08-25-2014, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Mfusick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Western MA
Posts: 22,761
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post

Dude, you're a new parent with twins. There comes a time when you've got to grow up and give up certain things. If you think football is more important than any of the things you mentioned, it's past due time for an intervention.

I disagree. Why would I need to give up something I love and it's important to me. Life is about choices, I'm making mine.

Unless it's an immediate family member there's just no way I'm getting dragged to some bullchit kids birthday party, or whatever other event is happening. Don't get my wrong if my wife or kids needed me I'm there, but barring some extra ordinary circumstance directly effecting and immediate family member then my line is drawn in the sand. It's funny because I found when I first started this no compromise policy about 5 years ago there was a little blow back the first season but now it's auto pilot and pain free. Wife just knows and understands, and everyone else too. We avoid that same old fight over every instance that repeats itself over and over for the next 25 years. It's really avoided and fighting it confrontation and enhanced all of our lives. It helps to be really clear on important issues so misunderstandings don't occur.

NFL is important to me. I really enjoy it, and I consciously choose to enjoy it rather than be a slave to life's bullchit. Aside from an immediate family member emergency there's nothing that takes priority. This year I watch kids on Saturday so wifey can get out of house, and in return I'm allowed watch NFL all day Sunday. It's not that I'm not wiling compromise, it's more that I've declared it unacceptable to not watch NFL. Avoiding the same old fight about this matter every weekend for rest of my life like most people have has enhanced my life. Would recommend.
dabotsonline likes this.
Mfusick is online now  
post #27 of 96 Old 08-25-2014, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member
 
lovekeiiy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 995
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post
I hope it wasn't an English class. With that grammar I can only assume which way the curve got blown. ...
Nope. There is something to be said for a this weird concept called, proof reading. I've heard is a great mystical, and mythical beast, only tamed by the studious of people, LOL. Apparently my grammar skills are right up with your either your read comprehension or recall, LOL. I tease only because I said which the course of study the class was in; ironically enough, there was a bit writing in it, LOL.

I like to blame the internet and other people's extreme lack to grasp the English language--written and verbal--for my "questionable" sentence grammar, so that's the story I'm going to use.

On a side note, yes, that sentence had several errors. The only error I managed not to do was either run-on or fragment sentence. I almost never proof read anything I post on forums. This becomes an issue because I'll change thoughts mid sentence. Usually, my biggest issue is I leave out words; sometimes critical ones.
lovekeiiy is offline  
post #28 of 96 Old 08-25-2014, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jhoff80's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,075
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Ugh, rumors on Twitter are that DirecTV and the NFL are working on a $1.4 billion extension for their current deal into the next decade.


For that much money, it seems unlikely that they'll ever be able to use GamePass in the US for their own streaming service like the other leagues do.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
jhoff80 is offline  
post #29 of 96 Old 08-25-2014, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member
 
captain_video's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Posts: 3,559
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
I disagree. Why would I need to give up something I love and it's important to me. Life is about choices, I'm making mine.

Unless it's an immediate family member there's just no way I'm getting dragged to some bullchit kids birthday party, or whatever other event is happening. Don't get my wrong if my wife or kids needed me I'm there, but barring some extra ordinary circumstance directly effecting and immediate family member then my line is drawn in the sand. It's funny because I found when I first started this no compromise policy about 5 years ago there was a little blow back the first season but now it's auto pilot and pain free. Wife just knows and understands, and everyone else too. We avoid that same old fight over every instance that repeats itself over and over for the next 25 years. It's really avoided and fighting it confrontation and enhanced all of our lives. It helps to be really clear on important issues so misunderstandings don't occur.

NFL is important to me. I really enjoy it, and I consciously choose to enjoy it rather than be a slave to life's bullchit. Aside from an immediate family member emergency there's nothing that takes priority. This year I watch kids on Saturday so wifey can get out of house, and in return I'm allowed watch NFL all day Sunday. It's not that I'm not wiling compromise, it's more that I've declared it unacceptable to not watch NFL. Avoiding the same old fight about this matter every weekend for rest of my life like most people have has enhanced my life. Would recommend.
Wow. I don't think I've ever read a more selfish response. If the NFL is more important than family I feel sorry for you. There will come a time when you'll look back and regret not going to that "bullchit kids birthday party." Believe me, your kids won't forget it and will appreciate you more for it. I never missed anything in my kids' lives while they were young and I certainly wouldn't hesitate to miss an NFL game to attend something that was important to them.

There will always be another NFL game. Your kids only have one childhood. Missing any part of it would be the biggest mistake you could ever make. Do you really want your kids growing up thinking their Dad was a selfish A-hole or would you rather have them believing that they are more important than a dumbass football game?
assassin, nvmarino and bomberjim like this.
captain_video is offline  
post #30 of 96 Old 08-25-2014, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member
 
StinDaWg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,610
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 159
The Netherlands VPN trick doesn't work anymore as the games are no longer free. You can still VPN in and watch them though if you buy the package.

I used to watch sports live years ago but I just can't do it anymore. I guess I've been completely spoiled by DVRs because I don't watch anything live anymore, can't deal with commercials. Football is the worst. Kickoff, commercial. Time out, commercial. Injury, commercial. Half time, 30 minute break. As said above I will either record the game and watch it an hour behind or I'll grab a torrent if it's a game I can't find anywhere else. I even watched a few "condensed" games last season where they cut out everything but the actual plays and the games are only 30-40 minutes long. It's a little weird at first but if you don't have time to sit there for 3 hours it's pretty convenient. Wiziwig also has 720p/1080 streams now with Ace Player that are good quality, and you don't get the buffering and lag issues because it's using bit torrent technology to stream so the more people who are using it the better connection you get, which is the opposite of how it used to work.
StinDaWg is offline  
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off