AVS Forum banner

HDMI Audio and Stereo Audio Simultaneously

523 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  renethx 
#1 ·
I have a windows media center PC as my main source for watching TV, and I have an Onkyo receiver that drives the audio. What I would like to do is be able to play the audio from the media center to zone 2 on my Onkyo receiver so I can enjoy it out on my porch. The problem is my receiver can only play analog audio inputs to zone 2 and currently its hooked up via HDMI.

My question is... is there a way to keep my HDMI audio that is currently in place and also output stereo from one of the headphone jacks on my mobo at the same time? This way I can still enjoy the HD audio in my main room using HDMI and also be able to enjoy audio out on my porch.

#2 ·
After quite a number of failed attempts I ended up separating digital / HDMI stuff from analog completely... I literally have two separate systems... a pioneer AVR with the main HTPC / TV and a 2 -Channel Denon amplifier with another Linux PC running JRiver media center...

If you really want to do this like you're asking, you first have to ensure that Windows sees both HDMI audio device and the mobo onboard audio device... this is something I know is widely recommended not to do... i.e. it is usually recommended to disable mobo onboard audio device in the BIOS to avoid conflicts with HDMI...

Hopefully, you're not using the same player for audio and video... you just need to select the mobo audio device in the audio player and connect the jacks from the mobo to the zone 2 input of your AVR and you should be fine...

The sound quality you will get from doing this is a completely different discussion topic...
If your audio player / mobo onboard device supports / allows WASAPI, you might still get an acceptable audio quality, if not and all the audio has to go through the windows mixer... ehmm... good luck...

#5 ·
Really?... that is a big shame...

I'm almost certain that it must be an intentional lock down due to PAP / HDCP thingy... but whatever... it is simply lame...

I was actually providing advise with a Linux mindset... thinking it should be possible in Windows...

If you are using ALSA in Linux, you will be able see all the available sound cards in your system, and you can set which application uses which sound card...

I can't imagine what life would be without Linux...

#7 ·
How about Behringer UCA202? Not HDMI but optical out + stereo analog, though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.