HDMI Audio and Stereo Audio Simultaneously - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 08-19-2014, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
HDMI Audio and Stereo Audio Simultaneously

I have a windows media center PC as my main source for watching TV, and I have an Onkyo receiver that drives the audio. What I would like to do is be able to play the audio from the media center to zone 2 on my Onkyo receiver so I can enjoy it out on my porch. The problem is my receiver can only play analog audio inputs to zone 2 and currently its hooked up via HDMI.

My question is... is there a way to keep my HDMI audio that is currently in place and also output stereo from one of the headphone jacks on my mobo at the same time? This way I can still enjoy the HD audio in my main room using HDMI and also be able to enjoy audio out on my porch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-20-2014, 12:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 75
After quite a number of failed attempts I ended up separating digital / HDMI stuff from analog completely... I literally have two separate systems... a pioneer AVR with the main HTPC / TV and a 2 -Channel Denon amplifier with another Linux PC running JRiver media center...

If you really want to do this like you're asking, you first have to ensure that Windows sees both HDMI audio device and the mobo onboard audio device... this is something I know is widely recommended not to do... i.e. it is usually recommended to disable mobo onboard audio device in the BIOS to avoid conflicts with HDMI...

Hopefully, you're not using the same player for audio and video... you just need to select the mobo audio device in the audio player and connect the jacks from the mobo to the zone 2 input of your AVR and you should be fine...

The sound quality you will get from doing this is a completely different discussion topic...
If your audio player / mobo onboard device supports / allows WASAPI, you might still get an acceptable audio quality, if not and all the audio has to go through the windows mixer... ehmm... good luck...
post #3 of 7 Old 08-20-2014, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I can't figure out how to enable HDMI and stereo at the same time. When I go into the control panel and select 'sound' it only lets me select one or the other. I can't figure out how to do both.
post #4 of 7 Old 08-20-2014, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Not going to happen. Windows just won't let you do it.
post #5 of 7 Old 08-21-2014, 04:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapone View Post
Not going to happen. Windows just won't let you do it.
Really?... that is a big shame...

I'm almost certain that it must be an intentional lock down due to PAP / HDCP thingy... but whatever... it is simply lame...

I was actually providing advise with a Linux mindset... thinking it should be possible in Windows...

If you are using ALSA in Linux, you will be able see all the available sound cards in your system, and you can set which application uses which sound card...

I can't imagine what life would be without Linux...
post #6 of 7 Old 08-21-2014, 05:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 241
post #7 of 7 Old 08-21-2014, 05:13 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 398
How about Behringer UCA202? Not HDMI but optical out + stereo analog, though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page