Playback cablecard recorded tv on multiple WMC machines on network possible? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 08-20-2014, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Playback cablecard recorded tv on multiple WMC machines on network possible?

I have several windows media center htpc in my home network, 1 main in the livingroom, and 1 in each of the 3 bedrooms (individual computers, all running win7 media center, 1 local lan network)

The recording is always done on the main media center, and then we stream it from the living room pc to the bedrooms at night via a shared recorded tv folder on the LAN.

I recently added a cablecard tuner on time warner, and the tv recorded on the cablecard will only play on the livingroom media center, I am not able to stream those to my other networked media centers.... the OTA stuff streams fine.

Is what I am trying to do possible? please note i am not trying to copy the shows, or burn them or anything, just want to record tv in 1 room and watch in another.... kind of what media centers are all about.

Mitsu WD82738 DLP TV
Media Center PC HDMI@1080p
Moto 6412-III HD-DVR
Yam RXA3000 & Atlantic Tech speakers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 08-20-2014, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Grab an xbox360 for each satellite room and it will work. Your cablecard shows must be all copy protected, which blows.
post #3 of 21 Old 08-20-2014, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Depends how your local Time Warner flags the channels/shows. If you are having problems then yours have been flagged in such a way that you won't be able to share them to other PC's. The only way around this is to use WMC Extenders, they can stream copy flagged from one main WMC machine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 21 Old 08-21-2014, 12:59 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, can I set the other wmc pc's up as extenders? I would hate to replace my existing 3 bedroom htpc with xbox 360s...... its taken me a long time to get my lan/entertainment setup the way I have it.... seems like a step backwards to go to xboxes vs pc's?

(btw thanks for the quick replies guys)

Mitsu WD82738 DLP TV
Moto 6412-III HD-DVR
post #5 of 21 Old 08-21-2014, 04:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 137
No, the remote PCs cannot be used as extenders. Any show recorded that is flagged by the provider can only be played back either on the PC it was recorded with or through a WMC extender, such as the XBox 360 or a Ceton Echo. If you're running Windows 8 then the XBox is the only extender that will work. Windows 7, Vista, or XP can use older extenders, like the Linksys, HP, or D-Link models, as well as any of the newer ones.
post #6 of 21 Old 08-21-2014, 04:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post
No, the remote PCs cannot be used as extenders. Any show recorded that is flagged by the provider can only be played back either on the PC it was recorded with or through a WMC extender, such as the XBox 360 or a Ceton Echo. If you're running Windows 8 then the XBox is the only extender that will work. Windows 7, Vista, or XP can use older extenders, like the Linksys, HP, or D-Link models, as well as any of the newer ones.
XP, can only use Version 1 Extenders (HP x5400, Linksys WMCE54AG, Original Xbox with Media Center Extender Add-On) but hopefully no one is still messing around with XP MCE these days.

RAID protection is only for failed drives. That's it. It's no replacement for a proper backup.
post #7 of 21 Old 08-21-2014, 04:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araltd View Post
Ok, can I set the other wmc pc's up as extenders? I would hate to replace my existing 3 bedroom htpc with xbox 360s...... its taken me a long time to get my lan/entertainment setup the way I have it.... seems like a step backwards to go to xboxes vs pc's?

(btw thanks for the quick replies guys)
As mentioned above, you'd have to go to an extender setup, but you might want to wait until the Comcast/TWC merger dust settles. If you end up under the Comcast umbrella, there is a decent chance they'll change everything (except the premium channels like HBO) to "copy freely"

RAID protection is only for failed drives. That's it. It's no replacement for a proper backup.
post #8 of 21 Old 08-21-2014, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhieb View Post
As mentioned above, you'd have to go to an extender setup, but you might want to wait until the Comcast/TWC merger dust settles. If you end up under the Comcast umbrella, there is a decent chance they'll change everything (except the premium channels like HBO) to "copy freely"
That would be interesting. From my experience here in Pittsburgh when Comcast has acquired another cable system (legacy Adelphia for example) they continued using their technology. The boxes and digital guides were all different.

Comcast doesn't use tuning adapters anywhere, I assume TWC markets will still use them.

DVB Logic makes add on software for WMC that allows for some different kinds of whole home DVR management. While it won't allow you to do exactly what you want I think it can tell each PC on the network to tap into that tuner and record a copy of the program on each computer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback

Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #9 of 21 Old 08-21-2014, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 View Post
That would be interesting. From my experience here in Pittsburgh when Comcast has acquired another cable system (legacy Adelphia for example) they continued using their technology. The boxes and digital guides were all different.

Comcast doesn't use tuning adapters anywhere, I assume TWC markets will still use them.

DVB Logic makes add on software for WMC that allows for some different kinds of whole home DVR management. While it won't allow you to do exactly what you want I think it can tell each PC on the network to tap into that tuner and record a copy of the program on each computer.
It's hard to say since so much of this stuff varies by market even within the same company. We don't have SDV here yet in Central KY, on TWC, but we're evidently going to be one of the markets that ends up getting split off to Charter instead of going to Comcast.

I wouldn't expect them to switch over end user equipment immediately, regardless of who ends up in charge, I think that type stuff will get replaced through the normal course of system upgrades. I don't think changing the content flags is going to be dependent on equipment, it should just be a setting in some software at the head end. Now, I'm certainly not suggesting that they will change everything to copy freely, but I don't think it would be particularly difficult for them.

post #10 of 21 Old 08-21-2014, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

wow, this is really disheartening information.... I kind of thought cablecard would be the finishing touch to what I considered an excellent system, but it has introduced a new problem...........

Mitsu WD82738 DLP TV
Moto 6412-III HD-DVR
post #11 of 21 Old 08-21-2014, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
It's hard to say since so much of this stuff varies by market even within the same company. We don't have SDV here yet in Central KY, on TWC, but we're evidently going to be one of the markets that ends up getting split off to Charter instead of going to Comcast.

I wouldn't expect them to switch over end user equipment immediately, regardless of who ends up in charge, I think that type stuff will get replaced through the normal course of system upgrades. I don't think changing the content flags is going to be dependent on equipment, it should just be a setting in some software at the head end. Now, I'm certainly not suggesting that they will change everything to copy freely, but I don't think it would be particularly difficult for them.
I wonder why it is that some cable providers can allow copy freely while others don't. I can't believe that it's a competitive thing since in most markets, there is only one big cable provider. My cable provider (Verizon) allows copy freely which, for me, means that I can record on either of my two HTPC's, archive recordings to my home server and play them back on anything with a screen without ever having to worry about DRM restrictions. Why can't everyone do that? Why does it vary from provider to provider?
post #12 of 21 Old 08-21-2014, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

The cablecard tuners first showed up around 2006. There was hope for a while an a PC based extender technology known as Softsled would become a reality, or that Homegroup based recording sharing would be ok'd by Cablelabs, but neither ever happened. I gave up hope when Microsoft destroyed the thriving Green Button website.

That was the entire point of the extenders - they run a remote session of WMC on the host PC so that is the computer playing the file. When this was all in development the idea of having multiple fully functional PCs was kind of crazy, so the low power scaled down extender was adopted to kill two stones with one bird.

Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback

post #13 of 21 Old 08-21-2014, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajkrishock View Post
Why can't everyone do that? Why does it vary from provider to provider?
Its ridiculously stupid. I often record movies or program I want to save. I clip out commercials and convert to H264.

If I ever lost that ability I think I would throw in the towel and use a cable company system. They're starting to surpass WMC in terms of functionality and asthetics.

post #14 of 21 Old 08-21-2014, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Its ridiculously stupid. I often record movies or program I want to save. I clip out commercials and convert to H264.

If I ever lost that ability I think I would throw in the towel and use a cable company system. They're starting to surpass WMC in terms of functionality and asthetics.
While, I'm reasonably happy with my CableCard setup, I still can't help but wonder what could have been...

post #15 of 21 Old 08-21-2014, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
While, I'm reasonably happy with my CableCard setup, I still can't help but wonder what could have been...
<dream>
I wonder if Microsoft's new CEO might hear us out? Perhaps we could petition him to resurrect Windows Media Center as a separate, stand alone OS and reignite the HTPC concept.
</dream>
post #16 of 21 Old 08-21-2014, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Well IMO ceton could have done everyone a big favor with the echo

Instead of chasing 5W, the goal could have been high bitrate support and even 3d - at least with the hardware . . . I always wonder if they are stuck with the particular SoC they chose or if they can upgrade it without completely rewriting the software.

That being said, I've not heard if the echo can handle full bitrate h264 or vc1 rips like the dark knight with Sharks "echo extender support" checkbox . . . and I won't be paying $100 to figure that out. In personal experience prior to that checkbox existing. . . the answer was no
post #17 of 21 Old 08-21-2014, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Aww the Echo has to be the biggest disappointment of my htpc experiment. I had every belief that it would replace my computer - recorded tv, Netflix, hbo go, dts-ma bitstreaming, Pandora, mkv - i was really bummed i didn't get picked for the beta.

now like i said i fully intend to replace my htpc with a Comcast X1 dvr and a smart tv running Plex via arc. that could do everything under one input.

post #18 of 21 Old 08-22-2014, 04:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Aww the Echo has to be the biggest disappointment of my htpc experiment. I had every belief that it would replace my computer - recorded tv, Netflix, hbo go, dts-ma bitstreaming, Pandora, mkv - i was really bummed i didn't get picked for the beta.
In hindsight. I was really bummed I did get picked for the beta. It just meant I was disappointed with it, that much longer than everyone else.

post #19 of 21 Old 08-22-2014, 04:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

Instead of chasing 5W, the goal could have been high bitrate support and even 3d - at least with the hardware . . . I always wonder if they are stuck with the particular SoC they chose or if they can upgrade it without completely rewriting the software.

That being said, I've not heard if the echo can handle full bitrate h264 or vc1 rips like the dark knight with Sharks "echo extender support" checkbox . . . and I won't be paying $100 to figure that out. In personal experience prior to that checkbox existing. . . the answer was no
This.

If I could watch full bitrate (or even fairly high bitrate) rips on the Echo, I could probably live with the occasional random reboots, and other quirky behavior, but as it stands now, it's relegated to the "spare" TV that almost never gets used.

post #20 of 21 Old 08-22-2014, 05:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Playback cablecard recorded tv on multiple WMC machines on network possible?

Quote:

Haha no they aren't. Ive seen the x1 graphics and while its better than before, it doesn't come close to wmc/computer based media consumption device. All thats new with the x1 system is that you get a better guide and search live tv and ondemand simultaneously. You'll NEVER have the ability to playback all your own media in whatever format through the home screen interface like we all can with wmc/plex/xbmc. Nevermind that their interface is still slow as crap.

Tablet
post #21 of 21 Old 08-22-2014, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

Having not looked at Shark007 in some time, I didn't know that this checkbox even existed. The Echo sees MB3 on its WMC interface so I wonder if it works in that or if the native WMC movie library is required.

I've got two new builds scheduled soon, one due to failure of my HTPC during my recent move and the other which was already scheduled. Hopefully this weekend I can build at least one of them and test this out but am not sure because there's so much to do to settle in after the move and every time I get focused on a task I hear, "Honey! Can you..."
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page