Loading the Media Server - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By dfkimbro

post #1 of 9 Old 08-22-2014, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Loading the Media Server

Yup, it's me again! I'm back with another question about implementing my spiffy new (to me) media server. I'll be running Media Browser 3 on the server which will have Windows 8.1 and FlexRAID (f). My plan for day-to-day operation is to use Windows Remote Desktop. Really, once it is up and running, I shouldn't need to access it hardly ever. What I am curious about though is, what is going to be the best way for me to load up the media on my server?

I have all these external HDD sitting on my desk attached to this PC already. Should I just use Windows Homegroup/network and copy/paste things over one drive at a time? Will either of those options allow me to get picky enough about where the files end up? I know Homegroup likes to restrict to a select few folders. Once I have the server up and going, I'd like to keep the media library folders in the disc farm simple: Movies, Television, Anime Movies, Anime Series, Music.

Alternatively, I could plug each of these external discs into the server via USB and do a copy/paste like that. No matter what I choose, I get that the initial data load will be a time-intensive process and that the initial parity construction could take an inordinate amount of time as there will be 30 TB of data.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-23-2014, 04:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 74
If you go the copy/paste route, use TeraCopy, or xcopy /v from the command line (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc771254.aspx), or MS SyncToy or with something similar functionality. All of these have error checking integrated into the copy/paste function. Just selecting the files, clicking copy, and then paste can and likely will introduce undetected errors in large files. TeraCopy is easy to use, GUI driven, and shows the CRC checksum validation for each file. SyncToy usually works fine, but takes a bit of setup. I haven't used the xcopy command in a long time, but it's command line driven and you've got to add the command line switches you want/need.

Someone else will need to comment on Homegroup.
Dark_Slayer likes this.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-23-2014, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkimbro View Post
If you go the copy/paste route, use TeraCopy, or xcopy /v from the command line (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc771254.aspx), or MS SyncToy or with something similar functionality. All of these have error checking integrated into the copy/paste function. Just selecting the files, clicking copy, and then paste can and likely will introduce undetected errors in large files. TeraCopy is easy to use, GUI driven, and shows the CRC checksum validation for each file. SyncToy usually works fine, but takes a bit of setup. I haven't used the xcopy command in a long time, but it's command line driven and you've got to add the command line switches you want/need.

Someone else will need to comment on Homegroup.
I'll take a look at TeraCopy. I'm not big on command line stuff. When I get it to work, it's usually because someone walked me through line by line what I need to enter.
post #4 of 9 Old 08-23-2014, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked: 392
I would personally initialize the flexraid pool and begin copying directly to the pool. Shares in windows are whatever your preference. I don't personally use home groups, but just manually specify my share folders from right clicking in explorer. There are a couple extra steps if you do that in flexraid, but you could do like Mfusick and myself (and likely a bunch of others) and just share your entire Flexraid pool (V across your lan. I have mine shared this way

I'd also just plug the drives into your server and copy/paste using an error checking method like dfkimbro mentioned

Although, teracopy, in the past, was not recommended for use with Flexraid RT raid (which was another old naming convention that is more or less deprecated by tRAID) . . . don't recall if you went with tRAID or RAID-F

However, if you are particular about your locations (though you really don't need to be anymore with an array) then you can copy everything to the drives before creating your parity. It will just be a much longer wait time until your server is online. If you initialize the array with 0 TB of data and add everything to it afterwards, your newly copied data will be available immediately
post #5 of 9 Old 08-23-2014, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Also, if you chose tRAID then you can initialize your pool without calculating the parity, making the "copy before" or "copy after" decision moot
post #6 of 9 Old 08-23-2014, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post
I would personally initialize the flexraid pool and begin copying directly to the pool. Shares in windows are whatever your preference. I don't personally use home groups, but just manually specify my share folders from right clicking in explorer. There are a couple extra steps if you do that in flexraid, but you could do like Mfusick and myself (and likely a bunch of others) and just share your entire Flexraid pool (V across your lan. I have mine shared this way

I'd also just plug the drives into your server and copy/paste using an error checking method like dfkimbro mentioned

Although, teracopy, in the past, was not recommended for use with Flexraid RT raid (which was another old naming convention that is more or less deprecated by tRAID) . . . don't recall if you went with tRAID or RAID-F

However, if you are particular about your locations (though you really don't need to be anymore with an array) then you can copy everything to the drives before creating your parity. It will just be a much longer wait time until your server is online. If you initialize the array with 0 TB of data and add everything to it afterwards, your newly copied data will be available immediately
I'll be going with RAID(f) for the server. I've been searching around the Internet throughout the morning looking for options for this. There don't seem to be all that many of them really.
post #7 of 9 Old 08-23-2014, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Okay, well I'm not sure what you're still looking for but if it's a homegroup explanation then here goes

The only thing homegroup sharing really provides is a single password for group sharing. If you've ever setup linux permissions before it's akin to defining group management over a location . . . then individual users only need to be added to the group and not added to each share. In windows . . . allocating additional shares as read only or read write will always have "homegroup" at the top of the "share with" list. Otherwise you'd mount each share to each computer, but use the credentials from the box doing the sharing.

Honestly I just run my shares with r/w set to "everyone" and disable password protected sharing. It's a ton easier for me since I'm pretty much platform agnostic and access my shares from android, windows, osx, and linux. My protection is my router and my firewall, but in realty that's your only real protection anyway
post #8 of 9 Old 08-23-2014, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

As to network copy paste vs plugging in externals, I'd suggest plugging in solely because it's less power management options to worry about and only a single failure point vs two

As to the speed, usb 2 copy paste vs gigabit lan should be on the side of lan being more than fast enough. Normally I would suggest just ripping and copying over lan, but given the size and time your amount of data will take . . . plugging in directly seems like a no brainer. For a few movies or downloads in the future crossing the lan is normal
post #9 of 9 Old 08-24-2014, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post
As to network copy paste vs plugging in externals, I'd suggest plugging in solely because it's less power management options to worry about and only a single failure point vs two

As to the speed, usb 2 copy paste vs gigabit lan should be on the side of lan being more than fast enough. Normally I would suggest just ripping and copying over lan, but given the size and time your amount of data will take . . . plugging in directly seems like a no brainer. For a few movies or downloads in the future crossing the lan is normal
This is more or less what I was assuming. However, given how wrong I have been on other parts of this project up to now, there's something to be said for verification.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page