Why is my LT W7 consuming so much RAM and CPU load? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 08-27-2014, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Why is my LT W7 consuming so much RAM and CPU load?

Why is my LT W7 consuming so much RAM at 76% and CPU load?

Windows 7 64 bit. Lap top.

When the Lap top is initially turned on at the desktop RAMis 22%.connect to internet RAM jumps to 57% then open a word doc. RAM jumps to76%.

My HTPC RAM usallely stays around 25%.

Thephysical RAM of HTPC is 6 GB DDR 3 1333 MHz..

The LT has not slowed down however I have observed higherCPU temps. So I have to close apps. Or open windows.

I have recently observed the CPU load on both cores what is regularly2% load to jump to 48+%.

Thephysical RAM of LT is 4 GB DDR 3 1333 MHz.. which is 33% less than the HTPC.

I resently installed a W7 gaget to the DT where I observedhow much CPU and RAM where being used the RAM seams very high at 76% even w/ noprograms running is this normal?

I have two browsers internet explorer and chrome I normalleyuse explorer because it saves my passwords and user names ect. Chrome doesn’t,I use chrome for a few sites because I like the saved history.

Not sure if chrome is always running even if I’m not usingit.

LT has not slowed down any just curious if RAM is weakeningon my 3 year old Lap top?

I’m real concerned about the CPU load like it’s normalley0-2% load go to a word doc. Or a website like AVS forum and it jumps to 50+% then it will stabilize go back to 0-2% loadthen back up this can’t be normal?

I did a restore point to two weeks in past also did theupdates

still have high RAM and CPU load consumption.

I did a memory diagnose test and memory is fine.

Any tips

Thanks STB

Samsung PN58C500/Amp: Yamaha RX-V465/Polk DSW1KProSub/DefTECH SM450/C1CC/Pro80/Sony BPX37 BD/Magnavox515HTPC-CPU: I3 550, 3.2 GHz/Mobo: Intel H57/RAM: 6GB DDR3 1333/HDD: 1TB/2TB Internal, 1TB external/Tuner: 1600-950 Haupague/W7 64 OS Remote: Harmony 700
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-27-2014, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I'm guessing you have some kind of spyware/malware/virus on your system. This seems like the most likely possibility given the jump in RAM use when connected to the internet and the high constant CPU usage.

I'd do a scan with whatever scanners you have access to; there's various free online ones. Sometimes such malware can be tricky though and to get rid of it becomes a job much much harder than simply backing up all your stuff, wiping the drive, and reinstalling the OS/programs.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-27-2014, 02:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 23
In Task Manager, try to identify the process that takes the most CPU and Memory resources (e.g. sort by the corresponding column); Test it (e.g. stop it, check resources, etc.). Then research it on the Internet. Sometimes, it may be a legitimate application with a bug, e.g. Adobe Reader.

edit: don't forget to press the Show Processes from All Users button.
post #4 of 9 Old 08-28-2014, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 204
RAM should be used. You don't need it free until another program requests it and there is none available. Then it will be freed up and reallocated.

But in your case it is probably a virus. I'd create a Win7 installation disc, format and reinstall. Then install the device drivers.

post #5 of 9 Old 09-01-2014, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ES_Revenge View Post
I'm guessing you have some kind of spyware/malware/virus on your system. This seems like the most likely possibility given the jump in RAM use when connected to the internet and the high constant CPU usage.

I'd do a scan with whatever scanners you have access to; there's various free online ones. Sometimes such malware can be tricky though and to get rid of it becomes a job much much harder than simply backing up all your stuff, wiping the drive, and reinstalling the OS/programs.
I can't figure out how to reinstall the W7 OS

I've created a W7 OS disc, from My digital life downloaded

however when I attemp to install it I get this dirtech lauch manager you'r software is being installed after a few hours of it's progress status stuch on 1/3 I turn off the PC. What is dirtect launch task master (Acer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roussi View Post
In Task Manager, try to identify the process that takes the most CPU and Memory resources (e.g. sort by the corresponding column); Test it (e.g. stop it, check resources, etc.). Then research it on the Internet. Sometimes, it may be a legitimate application with a bug, e.g. Adobe Reader.

edit: don't forget to press the Show Processes from All Users button.
excellent I right click toolbar then start task manager I'll be keeping a eye on open programs anhow many net open windows I have.

In the past I've had many net windows open and a couple of word doc.s open however never obsevred 98%CPU usage and 99% RAM there's got to be something wronge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post
RAM should be used. You don't need it free until another program requests it and there is none available. Then it will be freed up and reallocated.

But in your case it is probably a virus. I'd create a Win7 installation disc, format and reinstall. Then install the device drivers.
Looks like I will be forced to pay the $20. for a W7 OS disc.

Samsung PN58C500/Amp: Yamaha RX-V465/Polk DSW1KProSub/DefTECH SM450/C1CC/Pro80/Sony BPX37 BD/Magnavox515HTPC-CPU: I3 550, 3.2 GHz/Mobo: Intel H57/RAM: 6GB DDR3 1333/HDD: 1TB/2TB Internal, 1TB external/Tuner: 1600-950 Haupague/W7 64 OS Remote: Harmony 700
post #6 of 9 Old 09-01-2014, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevethebrain View Post
I can't figure out how to reinstall the W7 OS

I've created a W7 OS disc, from My digital life downloaded

however when I attemp to install it I get this dirtech lauch manager you'r software is being installed after a few hours of it's progress status stuch on 1/3 I turn off the PC. What is dirtect launch task master (Acer)
Hmm, perhaps try this solution?
http://community.acer.com/t5/2013-Ar...ger/td-p/73351
post #7 of 9 Old 09-01-2014, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ES_Revenge View Post
OK I’d like to try this I know how to get to task manager

I don’t know step two how to launch manager task?

Thanks STB

post #8 of 9 Old 09-02-2014, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevethebrain View Post
OK I’d like to try this I know how to get to task manager

I don’t know step two how to launch manager task?

Thanks STB
I'm not sure you need to launch any tasks as per that description but if you want to know how...once in Task Manager just click on File and then New Task.

I'm actually not sure what the guy means by "double-pressing" enter on the Dritek task either. That would just "Switch To" that task. So perhaps that unfreezes it or perhaps he killed the task instead but just said he double pressed enter? Not sure but you should try switching to first and seeing if that works, then try killing the task if it doesn't?
post #9 of 9 Old 09-03-2014, 12:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I've tryed installing W7 OS many times I thought I was doing something wronge when I constantly got this Dritek task manager.
I'm sure I tryed pressing ctrl-alt-del that was just to end the Dritek task manager being stuck.

I will try this next attemp.
1.bootup w/ W7 OS dvd in tray
2.when Dritek task manager comes on screen
3.ctrl-alt-del
4.task manager
I assume skip launch manager task
because the discription states
"and quickly got to the launch manager task" (but doesn't actualley launch anything)
5.press enter twice

hopefully I can reinstall W7 OS if the install starts

how long is the process. installing to a
3.5" SATA 2 HDD?

Thanks STB

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page