Poll: Do you want your HTPC setup in a way that would be annoying to me? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

View Poll Results: How do you want your PVR integrated into your HTPC?
I like Movies, TV Shows, and Recordings to be separate 25 56.82%
I want all of my recordings automatically moved to Movie and TV Show libraries 5 11.36%
I don't use any sort of PVR 12 27.27%
I usually move recordings around manually, but they usually end up in my main libraries 2 4.55%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #1 of 36 Old 08-27-2014, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Poll: Do you want your HTPC setup in a way that would be annoying to me?

I have noticed one of what I'd consider niche areas becoming less niche and more vocal in regards to PVR setups

I actually prefer having my htpc setup include Music, Movies, TV Shows, and Recordings

I do not want recordings moved to TV Shows. IF (and that's a big if ) there was a solid comskip program that didn't take some rube goldberg "watch and mark" process or rely on the very unreliable channel logo appearance for skips then I'd be more into the auto-rename, skip, and move side. As it stands I've gotten quite used to watching an entire tv series in my TV Shows folder netflix-all-you-can-stand style with no commercials. I've used mcebuddy with default comskip and show analyzer and had too many episodes clipped improperly, so I'm in a place where if I want to watch something live (a comedy central roast, sporting event, news broadcast, state of the union, etc) then I may end up recording it. I like having that recording stored. I had shark week saved for a while, etc

I think the difference with me know is that I DO NOT want any of that stuff organized in my TV Shows library. I just want to peruse some recorded TV in a big recordings folder -- thumbnails are nice. My TV Shows folder gets populated from dvd and blu ray rips as well as some other automagic non-commercial processes

I've started to realize there is a growing niche who want all of their recordings organized into their libraries - movies, episodes, etc. Comskipped or not, I really don't like this and it's not what I want out of MB3, XBMC, Mediaportal, etc

So I created a poll to try and gauge where this forum's crowd falls
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 08-27-2014, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Keep 'em separated!
Mfusick and htpcforever like this.
post #3 of 36 Old 08-27-2014, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 172
I'm not sure I understand the question.
post #4 of 36 Old 08-27-2014, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked: 568
Being on TWC, everything is flagged so commercial skipping is off the table for me.

Anything recorded from Live TV just stays in the Recorded TV folder of WMC for me. (30sec skip ahead works wonders on recorded TV to blow through commercials)

Any media that has been ripped goes to my TV folder on the server and is accessed via MediaBrowser.

RAID protection is only for failed drives. That's it. It's no replacement for a proper backup.

Last edited by ajhieb; 08-27-2014 at 07:27 PM.
post #5 of 36 Old 08-27-2014, 06:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked: 1742
I can't properly answer or comment on this issue due to forum rules.

You'll have to find your own way. I don't have any commercials in any media on my server. Having any sort of commercial advertisement automatically excludes it from being eligible to be on my server. It will need to be some other place, and if the commercials are not removed it won't stand the test of time or avoid deletion.
Having someone else remove the commercials is preferable too, since it's an annoying thing to do.
StinDaWg likes this.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #6 of 36 Old 08-27-2014, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

I see what you did there!
StinDaWg likes this.
post #7 of 36 Old 08-27-2014, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked: 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post
I see what you did there!
Why is it that everyone who does things in a way that isn't consistent with forum rules and guidelines always wants to make sure that everyone knows that they're doing things in a way that isn't consistent with forum rules and guidelines.

Announcing to the world "I can't talk about that thing that you know I'm not supposed to talk about" is no different than just talking about it.

You could still have made your thoughts on the topic of the thread quite clear without even mentioning how you aren't supposed to talk about that thing that you aren't supposed to talk about.

Quote:
Any media that has been ripped goes to my TV folder on the server and is accessed via MediaBrowser.
See what I did there?

RAID protection is only for failed drives. That's it. It's no replacement for a proper backup.
post #8 of 36 Old 08-27-2014, 06:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 129
I'm sort of hybrid. My recordings (what very, very few there are) go into a separate folder. However, sometimes they are episodes/specials/whatever that I actually want to save for future viewing. If they are commercial free and high quality, they wind up in the media library. If they aren't they eventually get deleted.
post #9 of 36 Old 08-27-2014, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have my recordings moved automatically to the TV Shows (or Movies) area on XBMC. But I think a great deal of that is about how I use XBMC. While I do own a fair number of movies (almost all on DVD or Bluray), I own very few TV shows, and I'm not using the recordings to build a library. So once we watch a show, we delete it. If we really loved the series, I buy it on Bluray. What I do like is the visuals of having things in the library (and all the extras like show descriptions, fan art, episode descriptions, etc). So by moving my recordings into the TV Show library I get all that. When we want to watch something, we go to the TV Show library (which shows only unwatched stuff), pick a series, and watch an episode (or four).

I think if you are using your recordings to build a library (i.e. you want to curate them before they get moved to the library) OR have lots of existing TV Show content, then having the recordings separate probably makes sense.
post #10 of 36 Old 08-27-2014, 07:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapone View Post
That makes two of us... and I'm a youngin'. I googled and it appears to be an interface that lets you organize audio/ video files? Something like a tivo on steroids?
post #11 of 36 Old 08-28-2014, 01:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aras_Volodka View Post
That makes two of us... and I'm a youngin'. I googled and it appears to be an interface that lets you organize audio/ video files? Something like a tivo on steroids?
What did you google? If it was HTPC then :facepalm: . . . Also, if you are truly curious and want to know more take a look around this particular video component subforum of avs

Quote:
I don't know whether this was sarcasm or virtuous, but note the thread title and poll title are separate. Perhaps I should update the thread title

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhieb View Post
Being on TWC, everything is flagged so commercial skipping is off the table for me
I didn't consider this aspect

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkscout View Post
I have my recordings moved automatically to the TV Shows (or Movies) area on XBMC. But I think a great deal of that is about how I use XBMC. While I do own a fair number of movies (almost all on DVD or Bluray), I own very few TV shows, and I'm not using the recordings to build a library. So once we watch a show, we delete it. If we really loved the series, I buy it on Bluray. What I do like is the visuals of having things in the library (and all the extras like show descriptions, fan art, episode descriptions, etc). So by moving my recordings into the TV Show library I get all that. When we want to watch something, we go to the TV Show library (which shows only unwatched stuff), pick a series, and watch an episode (or four)
I see your point. The visuals of various frontends are nice compared to a simple recordings view. Sickrage is just so much more preferable to me, but its not for everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
You'll have to find your own way
???

I'm not asking for advice. It's a poll

However, I created the poll after seeing more than 3 comments (not in this forum alone) related to how poor XBMCs PVR interface is because it doesn't automatically catalog your Recordings into your TV Shows library. I could see why some would want that option, but I wanted to gauge how many people that happens to be in this particular HTPC forum. I do not care if it becomes an option as long as I can disable it. I would hate to have to workaround that being added as a feature that I couldn't disable
post #12 of 36 Old 08-28-2014, 01:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
With XBMC it isn't really an option, it's an adventure. I have to have external tools that rename my NextPVR recordings into XBMC friendly formats and then have the recordings directory as a source XBMC scans. I'd say it works about 90% of the time. The rest of the I have to tinker with a bit or just manually rename them. The good news is that the wife doesn't know what day any of the shows are on, so if I don't notice a recording that didn't get scanned for a couple of days, I can just fix it and she never notices (or cares).
post #13 of 36 Old 08-28-2014, 04:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
You left out one alternative. I want to be able to choose which one to use. I want all of the above.
post #14 of 36 Old 08-28-2014, 04:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post
I don't know whether this was sarcasm or virtuous, but note the thread title and poll title are separate. Perhaps I should update the thread title
It was not sarcastic at all. I genuinely didn't understand the question.

Are you saying: You do not want PVR recordings to be moved to the "TV Shows" folder in _____ automatically? Because _______ ?
post #15 of 36 Old 08-28-2014, 04:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It was not sarcastic at all. I genuinely didn't understand the question.

Are you saying: You do not want PVR recordings to be moved to the "TV Shows" folder in _____ automatically? Because _______ ?
Well it is just a poll. What is your PVR integration preference for your htpc?

The options I could think of are in the poll

Yes, I'm also saying if front ends automatically moved/catalogued my recordings to my libraries (even if my wife hit record on AMC replay of the hobbit, or this weeks covert affairs, etc) . . . I would be annoyed and want it turned off. I treat my recordings like the biblical treatment of lepresy
post #16 of 36 Old 08-28-2014, 05:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Well it is just a poll. What is your PVR integration preference for your htpc?

The options I could think of are in the poll

Yes, I'm also saying if front ends automatically moved/catalogued my recordings to my libraries (even if my wife hit record on AMC replay of the hobbit, or this weeks covert affairs, etc) . . . I would be annoyed and want it turned off. I treat my recordings like the biblical treatment of lepresy
Ah. I see. Now, I get it. Sort of.

Well, other than WMC, I don't see why any other front end can't be configured to not include the "Recordings" folder in your respective libraries? WMC makes recorded "Movies" show up in the "Movie Library", but how many of us actually use the "Movies Library" from WMC??

The way mine is setup, WMC is the front end. For recordings, I go to WMC Recorded TV, and everything is a big list, just like you want. For Movies, TV Shows, etc, I have Media Browser (2) setup to display things, the way I want, and I just select Media Browser from WMC.

Am I doing something wrong?

Edit: Sorry, I missed a step. I have a separate "conversion" server, which actually cleans up recordings, skips commercials etc and what not, and then moves the recordings to the "TV Shows" library. This conversion server is basically a hack job, of Windows tasks, custom scripts and what not, that converts things and moves them around.

The way things are setup, every night, all my WMC machines dump their recordings from local storage to a master recordings directory on the server. The master recordings directory is setup as:

Recordings\HTPC1
Recordings\HTPC2

etc.

Each HTPC's recordings end up in their respective folder in the master recordings directory. When the recordings have been moved to their master directory locations (this is a scheduled Windows task), the server wakes up the "conversion server" (the server is monitoring the master recordings directories for new items) and the conversion server does its thing.

If a particular recording is "encrypted", the conversion server leaves it alone in its master recording directory location. If it can convert it, it does its thing, and moves the recording to the respective Show/Season folder in the TV shows directory. From there Media Center Master picks up the newly added show (it is monitoring that location), and generates the metadata for it.

And the metadata shows up correctly in Media Browser/front end.

Each HTPC's recorded TV monitor location is set to the root Master recordings directory, so all recordings show up everywhere as such.

Last edited by kapone; 08-28-2014 at 05:22 AM.
post #17 of 36 Old 08-28-2014, 06:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Keep them separated.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #18 of 36 Old 08-28-2014, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhieb View Post
Why is it that everyone who does things in a way that isn't consistent with forum rules and guidelines always wants to make sure that everyone knows that they're doing things in a way that isn't consistent with forum rules and guidelines.

Announcing to the world "I can't talk about that thing that you know I'm not supposed to talk about" is no different than just talking about it.

You could still have made your thoughts on the topic of the thread quite clear without even mentioning how you aren't supposed to talk about that thing that you aren't supposed to talk about.

See what I did there?
I'm sorry for the confusion. I should have quoted Mfusick in my post. I wasn't referring to you at all.
post #19 of 36 Old 08-28-2014, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 261
Recordings go into my RecordedTV folder and stay there. I use the ShowAnalyzerSuite to map the commercials. Once they're watched they get deleted.

Downloaded and ripped content gets placed on my server. I've got shares set up in unRAID so all TV shows and miscellaneous videos are in a share called Videos, which gets mapped as a media library in WMC. Blu-Rays and HD-DVDs get placed in another share called HD.DVDs. Standard DVD rips get placed in a DVD share. All shares are mapped as media libraries. However, the HD.DVDs and DVDs shares are generally played via XBMC.

Unless I have some desire to archive a TV series, the individual episodes on the server get deleted after watching. Same goes for any other content I don't need to take up space after its been viewed since I rarely have time to watch something twice.
post #20 of 36 Old 08-28-2014, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked: 118
[QUOTE=Dark_Slayer;26943689]What did you google? If it was HTPC then :facepalm: . . . Also, if you are truly curious and want to know more take a look around this particular video component subforum of avs

PVR... can it back up blurays discs or is it online digital content only?
post #21 of 36 Old 08-28-2014, 01:01 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Gotta keep em separated.

It would be too confusing to navigate through my TV series library to watch new show. I want PVR content presented chronologically.
StinDaWg likes this.
post #22 of 36 Old 08-28-2014, 01:05 PM
Advanced Member

[quote=Aras_Volodka;26960169]
Quote:
What did you google? If it was HTPC then :facepalm: . . . Also, if you are truly curious and want to know more take a look around this particular video component subforum of avs

PVR, commonly referred to as TiVo because of the first major producer of the equipment is a device used for recording broadcasts (OTA, cable, satellite) and storing them for later viewing. Included features are show listings, pause, fast-forward, and rewind functions, and the ability to schedule recordings based on season passes or by selecting content from the listings.

These are not designed for optical media. To make copies of optical media, you're pretty much stuck with using a PC.
post #23 of 36 Old 08-28-2014, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aras_Volodka View Post
Are you familiar with HTPCs? I dont intend that to be condescending, but if you are curious take a look at assassinhtpcblog.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aryn Ravenlocke View Post
PVR, commonly referred to as TiVo because of the first major producer of the equipment is a device used for recording broadcasts (OTA, cable, satellite) and storing them for later viewing. Included features are show listings, pause, fast-forward, and rewind functions, and the ability to schedule recordings based on season passes or by selecting content from the listings.

These are not designed for optical media. To make copies of optical media, you're pretty much stuck with using a PC.
PVR can be dedicated hardware and software (TiVO -- and really the cable boxes that you rent from Comcast, TWC, etc though you don't get to own them)

In the HTPC subforum, we usually lump the term into software that can run on x86 hardware (though x86 is not necessitated, it just happens to be the most available and popular) with either PCIe, USB, or network based tuners or capture cards

For the intents and purposes of this poll, I really only wanted to know about the software term. Though a very plausible option that I left out was "use a harmony or similar universal remote and TiVO/cablecoDVR/etc on a separate input from my HTPC"
post #24 of 36 Old 08-28-2014, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 105
I don't use my HTPC as a PVR because I already had a Tivo with a lifetime subscription before I found my way to HTPC-land. That said, my method for any show that I think might have replay value is to move my unedited recordings from the Tivo to a separate network drive from my main server. From there I use VideoReDo to cut out the commercials and save the shows to my TV server once I have the full season on the network drive.

The network drive is just a staging area because the hard drive in the Tivo isn't big enough (only 250GB) and because it doesn't make sense to me to save unedited recordings to the main server and have parity written for them when I'm not even going to watch them again until the commercials are edited out anyway.
post #25 of 36 Old 08-28-2014, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Happy wife, happy life.

Game of Thrones, Boardwalk Empire, etc. go to TV Shows with all the artwork.

Dr. Phil and House Hunters are relegated to the WMC recorded TV folder for a prompt deletion after viewing.

I tried the other route and this just works much better for both parties!
post #26 of 36 Old 08-28-2014, 03:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
Keep them separated.

HEY HEY HEY, Come out and PLAY!

Mfusick likes this.
post #27 of 36 Old 08-28-2014, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJimador View Post
I don't use my HTPC as a PVR because I already had a Tivo with a lifetime subscription before I found my way to HTPC-land. That said, my method for any show that I think might have replay value is to move my unedited recordings from the Tivo to a separate network drive from my main server. From there I use VideoReDo to cut out the commercials and save the shows to my TV server once I have the full season on the network drive.

The network drive is just a staging area because the hard drive in the Tivo isn't big enough (only 250GB) and because it doesn't make sense to me to save unedited recordings to the main server and have parity written for them when I'm not even going to watch them again until the commercials are edited out anyway.
I still have a 1st Generation TiVo with a lifetime subscription on it. Somehow it missed the recent "legacy purge". I was one of the really early adopters for TiVo. If I still watched television through any of the traditional means, I would almost certainly still be using it, even if it is a bit dated now.
post #28 of 36 Old 08-29-2014, 12:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 56
My HTPC is used mainly as a DVR and the recordings go into the WMC Recorded TV folder & show up as one long list of thumbnails. I record, watch, delete.

There are a couple TV programs that I'm not sure if I want to continue watching, so every week or two I grab the wireless keyboard & drag them to another folder just to get them temporarily out of the way. I'll probably just delete these later as I already watch too much TV.
post #29 of 36 Old 08-29-2014, 06:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by htpcforever View Post
HEY HEY HEY, Come out and PLAY!

Lol.

One sentence and that so stuck in my head for hours ...

-

post #30 of 36 Old 08-29-2014, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Separated.

I use WMC with a CC and wish my provider didn't encrypt channels so I could use a commercial skipping app to remove commercials and have my PVR recordings and TV Show library combined.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page