post #1 of 5 Old 09-04-2014, 06:00 AM - Thread Starter
V_J

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Compro E900F: component input

Hello,

I have a Compro E900F, a TV card which also has component input, composite input and svideo input.

Short question:
Are there media center softwares that can show this input? (e.g. XBMC via NextPVR, MediaPortal, Windows Media Center...) Or am I stuck with the Compro software for showing it?

Long story behind it:
I've come to realize that I should connect my htpc directly to my projector, as it supports more than my receiver (receiver has hdmi 1.2 in, 1.1 out and does not support 1080p input, deep color, hdmi 0-255 range, etc.). I'll connect the htpc via optical to it (for the digital formats supported by the receiver) and also using 5.1 analog.
As there is only one hdmi cable from the position where the receiver/htpc are to the projector, I cannot connect the receiver to a second intput on the projector. This makes that I cannot show the OSD of the receiver. This is not often necessary, so it is not a feature that is frequently needed, but it would be nice to be able to display it without having to reconnect cables (a hdmi switch is an option, but I'm not sure the rare use justifies the cost). So I thought of connecting the receivers' composite output to the input of the tuner card, and displaying it that way...

I still need to decide on a media center, and consider - in order of personal preference: WMC (with MediaBrower/MPC-HC), MediaPortal, XBMC. But this would be another argument for one over the other; I'm quite sure all of them suit my other needs, so it boils down to features and personal taste.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-04-2014, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 208
You could spoof WMC into thinking that your source device is a cable box. You need a usb IR receiver/blaster (if your card has this built in that should work too) plugged into the computer so Windows thinks it can control it, but thats not outside the realm of possibilities. Your input would show up as a tv channel.
V_J likes this.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #3 of 5 Old 09-04-2014, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter
V_J

Thanks!
The receiver is connected via a serial port, so I have full control over it (better than an IR blaster/receiver). I found some things that seem to hint that NextPVR can do it (wiki mentions composite input, but says nothing about component). MediaPortal seems similar. But I don't know if the card is supported well enough under them. Guess I'll just have to give it a go... once I get the computer...
post #4 of 5 Old 09-04-2014, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 208
If you decide to go this route you won't actually be IR blasting anything.

Heres what happens:

When you do the tv signal set up in WMC you will tell it you have a set top box. To be able to use a set top box Windows has to be able to control it (via IR blaster). If there isn't a blaster connected you can't proced through the setup.

The blaster doesn't have to actually work, Windows just needs to think it does. You can type any cable box in the set up and Windows will test to see if it can properly change the channels. Just say yes it works fine, since you won't ever be doing that anyway.
V_J likes this.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #5 of 5 Old 09-05-2014, 01:42 AM - Thread Starter
V_J

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 View Post
You can type any cable box in the set up and Windows will test to see if it can properly change the channels. Just say yes it works fine, since you won't ever be doing that anyway.
Ok, thanks! Good to know (I wouldn't have thought to say it is a cable box).
Thanks!

Jörg
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page