HTC setup advice - Netboxx R904N - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 09-05-2014, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
HTC setup advice - Netboxx R904N

I was looking for some advice about my setup. I will list what I have then get to my question.

I am using a Win7 machine and I stream media from a Ubuntu Sever hosting all of my media. I also listen/watch media locally CD's, DVD, Bluray. I have a Bluray burner/player and a Nvidia GTX260. I use Winamp and Foobar and PowerDVD as my software. I'm using WASAPI plugin with Winamp. I have a XFI Soundcard with SPDIF out to my R904N. All my connections are digital through software. I have a 5.1 Klipsch bookshelf setup connected to the Netboxx.

I am thinking about possibly changing out the XFI to a better card or maybe a DAC but I can't seem to find one for my setup. I was hoping for a HDMI sound card so I could run a cable from the card into the receiver but it's very hard to find a HDMI sound card that is not discontinued. So then I started to look at USB dac's that would give me what I want. Still can't seem to find a match. Anyone have any ideas or do you think the XFI over SPDIF is plenty? The Netboxx can decode all the Bluray audio tracks but that won't work over SPDIF (so I've read). So I was hoping to get the max out of the setup I have. Right now is sounds great but I was just hoping to up the quality since this is were I usually listen to the most of my music these days.

thanks for the help. If I need more information let me know

Klipsch Bookshelf Reference 5.1 speakers
Sherwood Netboxx R-904N
Creative Labs XFI (SPDIF)
Winamp, Foobar, PowerDVD
Pioneer Bluray burner/player
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-08-2014, 09:04 AM

Liked: 24
If you want hdmi sound get a new video card. A gtx 750 or 750ti would do that and give you a bit more graphics power along with dx11 support. I believe they also use less power then a gtx 260. If gaming and madvr are no longer a concern you could always buy a cheap card like a gt610

Last edited by ikkuranus; 09-08-2014 at 09:16 AM.
post #3 of 6 Old 09-09-2014, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter

thank, I will check one out. I thought about updating my card. Is the hdmi on the video card an output? I always assumed it was for my Dell 24in that has hdmi.
post #4 of 6 Old 09-09-2014, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullysnet View Post
thank, I will check one out. I thought about updating my card. Is the hdmi on the video card an output? I always assumed it was for my Dell 24in that has hdmi.
Yes it's an output. It is highly unlikely to find a graphics card that includes any inputs. If they did it would be a key selling point like the old ati and 3dfx gpus with tv tuners built in.

post #5 of 6 Old 09-09-2014, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

true, forgot it's output. So I guess I would be running one cable hdmi to receiver and then a second cable to display port to my monitor or run my monitor into the receiver.

I'll think about those options. Would you of hand know the specs of the audio? 24 bit 192k or 96k
post #6 of 6 Old 09-09-2014, 09:58 PM

Personally I'm not a fan of using extended desktop for the first scenario you described. The mouse can go off screen and for some reason having 2 screens enabled causes screen tearing on 1 of the 2 for me.
On the other hand supposedly you can still get hdmi audio with the above setup while the real screen is off. Due to the tearing and mouse issue I will always have my projector connected to the receiver instead of a 2nd output on the gpu.

I can't vouch for the bit rate or khz of those cards but it's pretty likely that they do support it.

Reply Home Theater Computers
Gear in this thread - R904N by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page