HDTV cards - resolutions and sound??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 09-04-2002, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am just setting up my first HTPC and would like to incorporate an HDTV card. Based on my research so far, the HD cards have VGA pass through. I assume this means that the Video card (AIW 7500 in my case) output goes straigh through unless the HDcard is in full screen and then the HD card's ouput is passed. I assume the HD card can output can set so that it scales to one of the HDTV standard resolutions (1080I 720P, etc). Can it also be allowed to float to the sources native reolution so no scaling is required? Are the refresh rates fixed on the HD resolutions or are they initial source dependent?

I will be using a PG6 projector and am trying to understand if I will need different memory settings for HDTV resolution vs. my DVD/ (I plan to use 1280x720@72hz-maybe 48hz)?

Does the sound pass over the PCI to the soundcard, or is some external connection required?

I'm pretty sure there are people out there who have similar setups. Please let me know how you manage these different sources.

Thanks,

Brian

Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-04-2002, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

All answers are in reference to the MyHD card, I do not know about the others.

1. The card comes with a loop back cable. If you use the cable, then one connector goes to the VGA connector on the Video Card. A second connector on the cable goes to the MyHD card. A third connector on the cable connects to your projector.

The card has a distinct set of resolutions that the card will output. There is also a selection of VGA or RGB (usually called component but you need a breakout cable for the indivitual signals). The loopback cable is in one sense nothing more than a video switch. Switch one way, and the Video card output is sent to the output connection on the cable. Switch the other way, and the output of the MyHD card is sent to the connection on the cable. This is a long way of saying, you SHOULD use the same resolution on your Video card as you are using on the MyHD card. If your projector has the capability of sensing the video input format and automatically adjusting (my LT150 does) then you can run different resolutions, but it may cause syncing problems and can cause momentary flashing when switching between the video card and the MyHD output.

If your projector does not automatically sync with change of input, then I think you may have to make a decision, that being 1080i or 720P.

The current radeon drivers do not support interlaced video. If this choose 1080i, then you will probably either need to use older drivers that do support interlaced or a transcoder.

If you choose 720P, then you will need to set the Video card to 720P (possibly needing Powerstrip to get this resolution since it is not a standard computer resolution) output.

2. The MyHD card has 3 audio choices. Wave, which sends the audio over the PCI bus. Cable, which with a supplied cable connects from the MyHD to a spare Digital input on the sound card. SPDIF, which is a connector on the MyHD back to connect to a receiver that can do Digital decoding.

Some have had audio delay problems with wave and or cable selections. I personally just use 2 SPDIF cables, one on the MyHD card and one on the sound card. I then have to switch sources on the receiver. When this starts getting too painfull, I will probably get the auto SPDIF switcher.

Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with every Microsoft product
post #3 of 6 Old 09-05-2002, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for the enlightenment...

You have reinforced my understanding, but I'm still a little confused. Powerstrip will not affect the output of the HD card, so how do you get all of the settings on the video card 1280x720 (front porch, back porch, deck, patio, water closet, etc) to match the 720P of the HD card?

Frequency is still a big question. My understanding is that 720P is 60Hz so that is a different setting than my 1280x720@72Hz.

Side question--- What happens to the 3:2 pull down on 720P? With film sources (and I thought Sony's HD cams) the original is still 24fps. Is this a drawback to 720p vs 1080i? I think I'll ask this part over on the HDforum as it is not specific to the pc cards.

Thanks again. I'd appreciate any feedback from others on these topics (or point me to a thread where they've slready been discussed)

Brian

Brian
post #4 of 6 Old 09-05-2002, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't use powerstrip as my projector is 768P. I don't think 720 is limited to 60hz, I don't see why. In the Meta faq there is a link to Karnis's timeings for powerstrip.

Question 2 I don't know.

post #5 of 6 Old 09-06-2002, 08:40 AM

How would one get DIV out of MYHD??
Was waiting for HDTV that has DIV input and I have a MYHD card. Is it possible or is there a big enough diff. to worry about it.
post #6 of 6 Old 09-06-2002, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Bucko - I don't know of any HDTV card with DVI out. Only way that I can see it happening is to use the Video Card for display, but quality is not going to be good because of PCI limitations. Perhaps one of the up-coming HDTV cards that use the Video Card for display will change this, but for now Component is as good as it gets. I have heard that the DVI inputs will require the copy guard flag so it might not be of any use anyway.

Closed Thread Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page