i3 or i5 NUC - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 09-13-2014, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
i3 or i5 NUC

I am planning to setup a couple NUCs at my house in lieu of extenders. I will be playing bluray content over the network and watching 1080i broadcast content. Almost no network streaming from the likes of Hulu, Netflix, Vudu, etc. I would like to be able to throw content at software based chromecast or airplay implentations on the NUC. No 3D content. That being said is there any benefit to using the i5 with HD5000 graphics over the i3 HD4400 in the latest Haswell NUCs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-13-2014, 10:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 241
No. For what you describe i3 is plenty. Many of us use bluray ripped to mkv. I can attest that the i3 nuc can handle that with aplomb.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 Old 09-13-2014, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the response. I should mention only gaming would be NES type emulators that I am well aware it can handle. Any benefit for deinterlacing content on the HD 5000? I'm planning on mainly hardware deinterlacing and no madVR or software implementations for decoding and filters.
post #4 of 8 Old 09-13-2014, 10:51 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 371
HD 4400 (and even vanilla HD) is enough for deinterlacing. Extra EUs of HD 5000 may be good for light gaming.

-

-
post #5 of 8 Old 09-13-2014, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 15
if you havent bought it yet, you may as well just wait for the new Nucs to launch this January. You'll either get better gaming performance at the same price or pick up the haswell i3 nuc for cheaper in 3 months.
post #6 of 8 Old 09-13-2014, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 10
With a Crystal HD decoder card you can decode 1080p With an old dual core 2.
post #7 of 8 Old 09-13-2014, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post
HD 4400 (and even vanilla HD) is enough for deinterlacing. Extra EUs of HD 5000 may be good for light gaming.
Thanks, I think I'll just go with i3 then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ou8thisSN View Post
if you havent bought it yet, you may as well just wait for the new Nucs to launch this January. You'll either get better gaming performance at the same price or pick up the haswell i3 nuc for cheaper in 3 months.
Thanks I had considered this. I haven't seen much price drop on the previous models so its not really worth the wait and the pep in graphics performance isn't something I will really need. I need to get started on these since I won't have much time after the holidays to set them up. At least if I get them now I will be able to tinker over the holidays to get them ready for use next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurba View Post
I wasn't aware of this card, but will be using that slot for my ssd and I'm feeling pretty comfortable that the i3 can pull the duties needed.
post #8 of 8 Old 09-13-2014, 06:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurba View Post
This is just for an older GPU that lacks a proper hardware decoder. Intel QSV decoder (implemented in all recent Intel GPUs) is superior, it can decode even 4K H.264 up to 150fps.

-

-
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page