AVS Forum banner

Recommend a HTPC Case

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Charles R 
#1 ·
A while back I built a HTPC per se and it went together very nicely. Once assembled I decided it was "too big" and sold it once I verified everything was working like a champ. I need to build another HTPC like I need a whole in my head but the urge has come back to some degree. Fry's had the Intel 20th Anniversary processor on sale for $47 and I couldn't resist. I guess you can overclock the heck out of it of which is irrelevant to me as it just seemed like a great deal for a Haswell processor.

So now I have this processor and I need to be inspired to build a HTPC (again) and it starts with the case. I want something I'll appreciate. The build would be extremely simple and virtually any size would do as I would make it work... I just need something that says build me. I have eyed the IN WIN 904 since it was introduced and it almost has me there.

I need to find something before my 15 days are up and I return the processor. So do you have any small and or medium size cases you love? I'll post an image of the 904 and my last build just for the heck of it.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I usually do it the other way around, I picture this box, then I buy the guts to fit it.
That is more or less my issue. I picked up the processor on the basis I would pick up the other pieces down the road when I ran across a good deal (on them). I don't need the HTPC so it's not like I have to assemble it yesterday. As I started looking for the various other pieces I quickly found out I need to know what type of case I would be using since it determines to a large degree what pieces I can use. Such as the type of motherboard, power supply size and so on.

Which means I need to find the case before I can move on... walking down the two aisles of cases at Fry's I didn't find one that jumped out at me. Now if I needed the HTPC I'm sure I could live with one or more but in this case I'd rather find something I really like. I have done some Googling without success although I still have some time.

#4 ·
What style do you think you're interested in? Do you want one that looks like a piece of AVR equipment or are you thinking more like a mini-tower?

If you're thinking AVR-style, check out the Silverstone and NMEDIAPC cases at Newegg.

If you're thinking mini-tower, check out the Rosewill U2 at Newegg also. I just finished building a PC in the U2-S and it's just an awesome awesome case. Lian-Li also makes nice mini-tower cases too.

If you want to go super-small mini-ITX look for the Realan E-i5 case.

#6 · (Edited)
What style do you think you're interested in?
Thanks.

I'm open to anything that's fairly small... either a mini-tower or AV sized. I have searched newegg and Amazon (and others to a degree). I found this Silverstone I like and just now looking at nMEDIAPC they come close but not quite.

I have looked at the Rosewill cases before although Fry's doesn't carry them so I haven't seen them in person. They do look nice and I'm guessing if I saw one in person I would really like them. I'll take a look at the other two manufacturers. Right now I'm leaning towards the IN WIN 904's little brother the 901. A little bigger than I prefer but the materials and styling are killer. Although I actually prefer the 904 but it's way too big... here's the 901.

http://www.inwin-style.com/en/goods.php?act=view&id=901

#10 · (Edited)
If anyone gets interested in the IN WIN 901 there is a dedicated thread (several hundred posts) about using it for builds at overclock. Looks like those guys are serious about builds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.