Killed HDMI? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 10-02-2014, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Killed HDMI?

I've searched all over but haven't seen a similar posting -- my HTPC has been running fine, but a thunderstorm blew through the area this afternoon and when I got home it was off.

When I powered everything up, the TV displayed 'No Signal'.

I connected an old CRT monitor to the video output and it worked fine.

Other STBs in the house work fine.

I confirmed the TV HDMI port works and the HDMI cable is good; the PC 'sees' the TV, meaning when both it and the CRT are connected the CRT is the 2nd monitor with a blank desktop; the TV 'sees' the HTPC in that the HDMI port is selectable from the Input button (empty ports aren't selectable).

I've uninstalled the video drivers hoping re-discovery would fix this, but nope.

Any ideas if the HDMI output on the MB can be reset? Or am I toast?

My config:

HTPC
Fractal Node 605
ASUS F2A85-M PRO A85 FM2
AMD A6-5400K APU 3.6Ghz

Connections
COX Cable > HTPC over Ceton InfiniTV-4 > TV over HDMI (KDL-52XBR6) > AVR over Toslink (STR-DH810)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-02-2014, 05:57 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We just had a major lightning strike that took out over 20 components and appliances in our home. Most everything was 'dead' but one TV merely lost the HDMI input, it still works fine when other inputs are used.

Put another monitor in place and you will probably find that it works. You most likely need to replace the TV. We upgraded all of our TV's as prices have really dropped.

Since the strike we have spent about $300 on GOOD surge protectors everywhere and even had a whole-house protector installed on our electric meter.

EDIT: Oops, I re-read your post and you say you confirmed the HDMI input good on your monitor. Do you mean tested with a different source? Ours would even display video for a few seconds then drop out. It was the TV in our case. New TV and all works great.

Last edited by diy_darryl; 10-02-2014 at 06:01 PM.
post #3 of 8 Old 10-02-2014, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by diy_darryl View Post
We just had a major lightning strike that took out over 20 components and appliances in our home. Most everything was 'dead' but one TV merely lost the HDMI input, it still works fine when other inputs are used.

Put another monitor in place and you will probably find that it works. You most likely need to replace the TV. We upgraded all of our TV's as prices have really dropped.

Since the strike we have spent about $300 on GOOD surge protectors everywhere and even had a whole-house protector installed on our electric meter.

EDIT: Oops, I re-read your post and you say you confirmed the HDMI input good on your monitor. Do you mean tested with a different source? Ours would even display video for a few seconds then drop out. It was the TV in our case. New TV and all works great.
All the other electronics and appliances in the house seem ok -- just the HDMI output on the HTPC. And yep, I swapped the HTPC cable for the BD player and that same port showed BD output, and I did the reverse and got either 'no signal' or 'unsupported signal' from the HTPC on the BD port.

The HTPC is otherwise fine, watching TV on the old CRT and audio via the 3.5mm output -- it's just the freaking HDMI-out port.

Thanks for replying, though.

Anybody else? Bueller?

post #4 of 8 Old 10-02-2014, 06:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 84
I assume you're using integrated video? I'd get in touch with ASUS and ask them. Otherwise, a cheap video card with HDMI out may keep you from having to replace the MB.
post #5 of 8 Old 10-03-2014, 07:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkimbro View Post
I assume you're using integrated video? I'd get in touch with ASUS and ask them. Otherwise, a cheap video card with HDMI out may keep you from having to replace the MB.
+1
post #6 of 8 Old 10-09-2014, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

+1 / -1 -- Asus was polite, but no dice. They recommended flashing BIOS, which did nothing.

I ordered a replacement via Amazon on Friday afternoon and it was on my doorstep the next morning, swapped and all was good, almost.

The HDMI Detective Plus was fried as well (direct cable to TV worked fine). So, now we're back in business.
post #7 of 8 Old 10-09-2014, 07:48 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 84
Glad it worked out...hate that it required a new motherboard.
post #8 of 8 Old 10-10-2014, 02:54 AM
V_J

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by dshorrosh View Post
I ordered a replacement via Amazon on Friday afternoon and it was on my doorstep the next morning, swapped and all was good, almost.
Sad that it needed a new mainboard.
But perhaps good the issue was with something noticable. Imagine if something got fried that was not noticable: you could have lost data or have bigger issues.

(runs to buy a surge protector)

Last edited by V_J; 10-10-2014 at 03:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page