AVS Forum banner

Avoiding downsampling of HD audio with USB headphone amp/dac

820 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  renethx 
#1 ·
Anyone have any tips for this? I have a Audinst Hud-mx1 headphone amp connected to a pair of modded Denon AH-D5000 headphones, and I want to use it to listen to music Blu-rays without the output being downsampled to 16 bit 44/48 kHz. Unfortunately PowerDVD only seems to support a limited set of audio codecs, and I'm having a really hard time figuring out if any of them use USB. The Audinst does support 24/96 LPCM, but no bitstreaming. Otoh it's a really good amp/dac, so I doubt say a Creative product would be able to beat it for quality, even if the Audinst uses downsampled audio.

#2 ·
LAV Audio Decoder + dtsdecoderdll.dll can decode all HD audio codecs to multichannel LPCM bit-perfect. LAV Audio Decoder also has a mixer to downmix to stereo LPCM. Then use WASAPI exlusive mode to bypass Windows Audio Engine. For example, use

- MPC-BE as the player
- LAV Audio Decoder (add it as an external filter) + dtsdecoderdll.dll as the audio decoder
- MPC-BE's built-in audio renderer that supports WASAPI exlusive mode.

Of course you have to remove AACS protection (e.g. in real-time with AnyDVD HD or by ripping to ISO with AnyDVD HD or by ripping to MKV with MakeMKV).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.