Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 10-27-2014, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Network Switches (24 port+)

I've moved and began wiring up rooms and devices. My old 16 port switch is beginning to run out of ports. At my old house I had every jack connected to the switch whether or not a device was at the other end. Now I've already disconnected jacks that aren't in use. I think I've only got two or the ports left and haven't even touched the upstairs cabling.

Is there a great value switch that I should try to grab? I'm thinking HP Procurve from eBay kind of deal. Model numbers and links would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-27-2014, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I use this switch http://us.dlink.com/products/busines...kmount-switch/

Whether or not there is a good deal for somewhere I don't know. Amazon has it for $149. The reviews on it are 4.5 star.
There is no setup. It's an unmanaged switch. Just plug in to it and it works.
post #3 of 11 Old 10-29-2014, 12:29 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post
I've moved and began wiring up rooms and devices. My old 16 port switch is beginning to run out of ports. At my old house I had every jack connected to the switch whether or not a device was at the other end. Now I've already disconnected jacks that aren't in use. I think I've only got two or the ports left and haven't even touched the upstairs cabling.

Is there a great value switch that I should try to grab? I'm thinking HP Procurve from eBay kind of deal. Model numbers and links would be appreciated.
You can just add another switch and just link them together, no need to replace the current one unless you absolutely want to.

There are many good quality switches out there, I would stick to the brand names like D-Link, Linksys, Netgear and HP. If you want to go a little higher end you could look at Cisco Small Business, they make some really great / powerful switches but they are a little pricey. Just make sure they are Gigabit and are at the very least "Smart" Switches, these will be a little more money but will help you find issues a whole lot easier by logging in to the switch and checking out port statistics.

Oh and Dell actually has a really nice product line as well. I picked up a Used Dell 5224 so long ago I can't even remember and it was rock solid until I replaced it with a POE Switch a few months ago. I still have it as a back up just in case.

Last edited by funhouse69; 10-29-2014 at 12:33 AM.
post #4 of 11 Old 10-29-2014, 01:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Always go for some type of 'managed' switch. If you need to troubleshoot or see what's going on, unmanaged switches are useless. Agree with getting a named brand - HP Procurve's are great by the way.
post #5 of 11 Old 10-29-2014, 02:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 124
I have a HP ProCurve 1810-24G and entirely happy with it. Even new its relatively cheap.
post #6 of 11 Old 10-29-2014, 03:31 AM
V_J

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have a DLink DGS-1210-16 (16 port managed gigabit switch, but there are models with more ports). Never had issues... So I never really had the need for the management functions (but I did use it to test cables and verify speeds and traffic).

One of the reasons I chose it is that it supports link aggregation, which may be useful for a NAS (not using that feature at the moment though). Another was the lifetime warranty, which is defined as: "5 years after DLink stops manufacturing this series".
Almost all my wall plugs are connected, but most do not have a computer connected to them. The switch is supposed to go into powersaving for those ports, which is not a bad feature...

I got a good deal on it. I agree with funhouse69: just add a second switch... One for upstairs, one for downstairs...
post #7 of 11 Old 10-29-2014, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse69 View Post
You can just add another switch and just link them together, no need to replace the current one unless you absolutely want to.

There are many good quality switches out there, I would stick to the brand names like D-Link, Linksys, Netgear and HP. If you want to go a little higher end you could look at Cisco Small Business, they make some really great / powerful switches but they are a little pricey. Just make sure they are Gigabit and are at the very least "Smart" Switches, these will be a little more money but will help you find issues a whole lot easier by logging in to the switch and checking out port statistics.

Oh and Dell actually has a really nice product line as well. I picked up a Used Dell 5224 so long ago I can't even remember and it was rock solid until I replaced it with a POE Switch a few months ago. I still have it as a back up just in case.
Thanks for the tips. I'm not sure I want to link my current switch to another since having a Gbit bottleneck wouldn't be optimal (even though I'd probably never notice). I could put lower demand stuff on it such as printers and other small footprint devices. I will make sure I keep it.

post #8 of 11 Old 10-29-2014, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Not managed and not name-brand but running fine for years now as the main hub of my network:

TP-LINK TL-SG1016D 10/100/1000Mbps Unmanaged 16-Port Gigabit
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833704064

Never a hiccup with several PCs, cable card tuner, server, all kinds of stuff connected.

Just link it into your old one. I don't think you're going to see performance degradation with an additional hop. At three different endpoints I have either 4 or 8 port D-Link desktop switches and don't see any lack of speed, hiccups, etc.

post #9 of 11 Old 10-29-2014, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StardogChampion View Post
Not managed and not name-brand but running fine for years now as the main hub of my network:

TP-LINK TL-SG1016D 10/100/1000Mbps Unmanaged 16-Port Gigabit
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833704064

Never a hiccup with several PCs, cable card tuner, server, all kinds of stuff connected.

Just link it into your old one. I don't think you're going to see performance degradation with an additional hop. At three different endpoints I have either 4 or 8 port D-Link desktop switches and don't see any lack of speed, hiccups, etc.
That is similar to the 16 port I have now. I think it is a Trendnet Green.

Does anyone have any insight on the differences between an HP Procurve 1810 and 1910? I see the 1910 is in a 3com chassis and I think isn't fanless. They seem to be about the same price.

post #10 of 11 Old 10-29-2014, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post
That is similar to the 16 port I have now. I think it is a Trendnet Green.
Any reason you aren't interested in just getting a second one? They are cheap and (in my experience) quite reliable. At my last job we had tons of unmanaged switches on the periphery, and over time we settled on Trendnet because we had problems with other brands (Buffalo/TP-Link/D-Link)

If you are mostly just keeping unused wall ports connected, a managed switch may be overkill. A fanless design and automatic power reduction/port shutoff are nice features for this scenario.

I have one for my rack and another for my patch panel.
http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Unman.../dp/B004UBPCPI

Last edited by EricN; 10-29-2014 at 10:48 AM.
post #11 of 11 Old 10-29-2014, 05:42 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 41
If you go managed or smart, double check some compatibility charts for your existing peripherals. I just found out my Netgear "unmanaged plus" switch doesn't support Spanning Tree Protocol traffic and is incompatible with hardwiring my Sonos system. Annoying.

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answe...tible-hardware
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page