AVS Forum banner

Routers?

2K views 36 replies 17 participants last post by  Dark_Slayer 
#1 · (Edited)
I know I haven't posted in a while but I've been lurking around a bit.

That said, my Buffalo router, which performs just fine for all my android and PC devices is not working for my fiance' and all her apple stuff. I have a long ethernet cable that she's been using for the laptop but this doesn't help with the phone as the issue is with wireless.

I did a limited amount of research and found people complaining about this issue and apparently with iOS7 (and iOS8 by extension most likely) a lot of routers are not compatible. It doesn't seem that the folks at Cupertino are concerned with this because they are not fixing it so now it becomes my problem.

This brings me to my inquiry.. I need a new router and don't know what is best for me. I know I like the dd-wrt functionality of my current router and I need to have port forwarding for specific apps such as MediaBrowser and a few other HTPC related apps too. I'm not sure if I need AC because I don't have any AC devices but that could change.

My son, who makes a living with this stuff, said to get one with a 5gHz radio but not to worry too much about AC. He also said that getting an apple air port is not too bad an idea for apple compatibility but also didn't know if it is configurable for port forwarding and the like. He has an ASUS but didn't know the model number off hand when I had him on the phone yesterday. He got it for the same reason.. Compatibility with iPhones and iPads..

So all that said, any help would be most appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
I use an Asus RT-N66U paired with an RT-N56U as an Access Point. Both models support both 2.4 and 5 GHz. Both perform well with multiple servers, PCs, laptops, smart TVs, Roku's, iPads and iPhones, etc. I like the guest network feature of the RT-N66U - when my kid's friends come over they get the guest wifi password, not the main one. I don't feel any need for AC since we don't have any AC clients, but Asus does make AC versions of these that are also rated well. I'm sure a nice Netgear router would also work for you.

#6 ·
I looked briefly at that link. Does pfSense support wireless connectivity? I still need a radio of some sort, right?

As far as the apple thing goes, I really don't have much of a choice but to deal with it because it is not going away.

#8 ·
It is just a router. Most use a small footprint pc or virtual machine with two network cards (one for LAN and one for WAN). You would need to add WiFi.

I would not recommend going this route for someone else. I did it to help justify my ESXi server and to play with networking. My perfectly good Asus router has its routing disabled and I use it only for its radio. To even further complicate things I've disabled DHCP and DNS in pfSense and use Windows Server 2012 for that and as a domain controller.

#7 ·
I have this Asus ac router, which replaced my Buffalo router which was problematic from day one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008ABOJKS/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I can't comment on how it connects to Apple devices, but I can say that I like it. Very few connection issues. My main complaint is it has too many lights!

I don't understand the idea of not worrying about ac because you don't have any ac clients. How often do you buy routers? You will have ac clients before the router dies. It's better to have it than to be looking to buy a new router in two years because it doesn't have it.

#12 ·
I don't understand the idea of not worrying about ac because you don't have any ac clients. How often do you buy routers? You will have ac clients before the router dies. It's better to have it than to be looking to buy a new router in two years because it doesn't have it.
I just bought my third router, a TP-Link. The first 2 (both D-Link) lasted about 4 years total, or about 2 years average. And my son said he ends up buying a new one every few years because they just stop working. I have no idea why they have gone bad so soon.

#9 ·
I have a similar setup to bryansj: virtualized router, windows domain controllers, etc. I agree with him that pfsense would be a little rough if you aren't familiar with it. It's not hard, but users do get cranky really fast when there is the slightest thing wrong with the ability to use the internet.

I would recommend looking into DD-WRT or TomatoUSB as a replacement for the software that runs on your router if it supports it.

#10 ·
I had a poor experience with the Apple Airport. Constant dropped connections, both WLAN and WAN. Last two routers have been Netgear N600 and Netgear AC1450. Both have been pretty reliable, but are limited to DynDNS.com for dynamic DNS. I hear good things about Asus from IT folks and wouldn't hesitate to get one. I didn't know about them last time I bought one.

#15 · (Edited)
I know I haven't posted in a while but I've been lurking around a bit.

That said, my Buffalo router, which performs just fine for all my android and PC devices is not working for my fiance' and all her apple stuff. I have a long ethernet cable that she's been using for the laptop but this doesn't help with the phone as the issue is with wireless.

I did a limited amount of research and found people complaining about this issue and apparently with iOS7 (and iOS8 by extension most likely) a lot of routers are not compatible. It doesn't seem that the folks at Cupertino are concerned with this because they are not fixing it so now it becomes my problem.

This brings me to my inquiry.. I need a new router and don't know what is best for me. I know I like the dd-wrt functionality of my current router and I need to have port forwarding for specific apps such as MediaBrowser and a few other HTPC related apps too. I'm not sure if I need AC because I don't have any AC devices but that could change.

My son, who makes a living with this stuff, said to get one with a 5gHz radio but not to worry too much about AC. He also said that getting an apple air port is not too bad an idea for apple compatibility but also didn't know if it is configurable for port forwarding and the like. He has an ASUS but didn't know the model number off hand when I had him on the phone yesterday. He got it for the same reason.. Compatibility with iPhones and iPads..

So all that said, any help would be most appreciated.
Have you tried the info in this link. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4197
That article is so generic it isn't worth the electrons it uses to occupy cyber space!

I even tried using static IP addresses in the apples too to no avail.

#21 · (Edited)
No. It is $9 extra!! LOL!

I'm going to get the Used - Very Good in damaged packaging unit from Warehouse Deals and knock $15 off the deal. I've never had a bad item from Warehouse Deals. They're either customer returns that are new or something that got a little buggered up in the warehouse. If it is broken they take it back right away.

This is still over $200 OTD whereas the Buffalo, that is working just fine for me, was $70 a few years back. That said, I did have issues with my printer staying connected recently so maybe the Buffalo is on its way out??

#24 ·
That said, I did have issues with my printer staying connected recently so maybe the Buffalo is on its way out??
One advantage to buying before it goes out is you have another device handy if the new one goes out. And if you don't remove its settings from your existing devices, it will work as soon as you plug it in. So you don't have to make a rush decision on replacement/repair.

#26 ·
For anyone considering a software based router - I suggest that you take a look at the free Sophos UTM. I had previously used pfsense for a few years, and with great results. I recently switched to Sophos because the children in my house are getting older and I wanted assistance with blocking certain content and generally locking down our network. Pfsense has some, if not all, of the same functionality, but setting it up for such "advanced" features was beyond my ability. The setup and configuration was much easier on the Sophos.

For anyone not using a software based router - I suggest you at least consider using Sophos because of the MUCH higher level of security that you will have for your network.

Please note, I am not an expert with networking, so take my comments accordingly.

#30 ·
My son, who makes a living with this stuff, said to get one with a 5gHz radio but not to worry too much about AC..

Sounds like your son already went through this issue, so why don't you get the one he has to try it out, always can return it with a little re-stocking feed.

Then of course you didn't specify what kind of Apple issues you are having.

Networking should be generic, but I won't be surprised Apple would just throw enough stuff in there so folks who don't want to bother tweaking just buy their expensive Airports.

#31 ·
Sounds like your son already went through this issue, so why don't you get the one he has to try it out, always can return it with a little re-stocking feed.

Then of course you didn't specify what kind of Apple issues you are having.

Networking should be generic, but I won't be surprised Apple would just throw enough stuff in there so folks who don't want to bother tweaking just buy their expensive Airports.
I already got the next generation ASUS RT-AC68U. I decided to get an AC router for any future client that may utilize it. It is up and running already although I do need to configure some ports on it.

I'm pretty sure that is apple's diabolical plan but this router is working just fine and now I have the less congested 5.0GHz band too which my previous router didn't have. BTW, the damaged packaging consisted of a tear with tape on it. The router didn't come with the manual, quick start guide or CD but I need hardware and not all that crap! All is good and I'm happy because she's happy!

No. It is $9 extra!! LOL!

I'm going to get the Used - Very Good in damaged packaging unit from Warehouse Deals and knock $15 off the deal. I've never had a bad item from Warehouse Deals. They're either customer returns that are new or something that got a little buggered up in the warehouse. If it is broken they take it back right away.

This is still over $200 OTD whereas the Buffalo, that is working just fine for me, was $70 a few years back. That said, I did have issues with my printer staying connected recently so maybe the Buffalo is on its way out??

#35 ·
While that sounds good it also seems it is a lease were you have to return it if you don't stick with t-mobile. As I don't currently have them I cannot take advantage of this deal and even if I did I'd be hesitant because I change cell providers every few years or so.

#37 ·
Your initial post doesn't many any sense. I used an iPhone 3gs for a couple years back in the day and never had any problems connecting to any routers - ddwrt, tomato, Asus, buffalo, belkin, Cisco, etc

Used the terminal app to ssh with several of them as well

What are your settings? I hope at a minimum you have wps disabled with ddwrt, but WPA enterprise is likely not supported on older Apple stuff. I use a rMBP as well, and connect it to any and all routers

If you are in the market though, I'd recommend Asus ac68 since you can use it as a time machine with an external drive and AC wireless is awesome if you ever need it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.