A-Tech Fabrication HTPC Case: update - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 2846 Old 02-27-2003, 09:22 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Glenn, as an aside, which RF keyboard/mouse do you use?

- Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 2846 Old 02-27-2003, 10:35 AM
dwx

stickman,

Something like this would be a better choice, since it has an RGB input for a VGA display. It's a little bit too big, but I haven't found anything else with a VGA input in this size range, so it's got to be it.

Mark Foster used a Xenarc display in a Shuttle SS40 for the same purpose that you're interest in. There are pictures and a step by step "how-to" here .

-Dave

post #273 of 2846 Old 02-27-2003, 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by stickman
Hey Glen,

What about adding an option to mount one of these?
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd..._ID=4686&DID=7
Perhaps behind a door as to not have it distract from watching tv.

Jason

With only a composite video input, a screen like that would be of minimal use in a HTPC case (at least in my mind). A much better plan would be to track down a screen with a VGA input (like the Xenarc 700) so you could use it for local controls of basic HTPC settings.

Brian
post #274 of 2846 Old 02-27-2003, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

The Xenarc 700TS touch screen would also be really nice. Pair it up with a "dual-head" video card, and you wouldn't have to switch monitor cables to use it. A display that size would likely require a taller case than the A-Tech, however.
It might work well to just put the display on a shelf, since it comes with a stand.

Hook 'em Horns! 2005 National Champions!
post #275 of 2846 Old 02-27-2003, 06:08 PM

thanks for answering my questions. Here is a batch of new ones..heh, I am such a newbie:

-floppy drive?
-I notice you offer front acces USB, Firewire. How exactly does that work? I've never really worked with the new cases with front access USB,firewore. Do I run a cable connecting the front acces port to the back through a PCI slot? Do I need to rewire or resolder anything?
-Similar to above question, how will the front access buttons (the five optional buttons) work?
-Any possible way to include one more harddrive?
-Is there a mailing list?
-I'll glady sort through questions in this thread and make a faq if you want one made. Actually, I'll sort through anyways, just to answer my other questions....but just tell me if you want it.

Question for Forum users:
-Let's say I have a 9700 all in wonder. What would be the ideal connection to a TVorHDTV to produce the best quality picture on the TVorHDTV.
-If I have H3D card and Radeon 9700, will I be able to play a DVD while recording a show at DVD quality?
-I guess this is the setup I am sort of thinking about: I am going to use a coaxial splitter and split the tv cable line into two. One going into the HTPC and one going into the TV. Connect the HTPC to one of the TV ins of the the TV. To watch a DVD or dvix, I can just switch the channel to the ext (or video 1,2,3) channel. To record a show, I can do the same (record a TV show on the ext channel and watch TV on another normal cable channel at the same time!!). Would there be any problems with this setup?
post #276 of 2846 Old 02-27-2003, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Nice unit, but too big for this case. I'll keep it in mind though.

Glenn

Quote:

Originally posted by stickman
Hey Glen,

What about adding an option to mount one of these?
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd..._ID=4686&DID=7
Perhaps behind a door as to not have it distract from watching tv.

Jason

-Glenn
A-Tech Fabrication
post #277 of 2846 Old 02-27-2003, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Fasteners used on a regular basis have inserts. USB and PowerMate mount through bottom panel, PS through rear panel -no threads. VFD is mounted in tapped holes.

Glenn

Quote:

Originally posted by bkzoller
I'm eagerly awaiting the results after purchasers have a chance to build their HTPC with this case.

Do the front-panel VFD, the power supply, the USB ports, etc. mount directly into aluminum threads? Or, are there threaded inserts attached to the aluminum? I am wondering about the long-term durability, which can sometimes be a problem on aluminum cases.

Brian

-Glenn
A-Tech Fabrication
post #278 of 2846 Old 02-27-2003, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

http://www.interlinkelectronics.com/...rfkeyboard.htm

Quote:

Originally posted by chrispy
Glenn, as an aside, which RF keyboard/mouse do you use?

- Chris

-Glenn
A-Tech Fabrication
post #279 of 2846 Old 02-27-2003, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

daemonk,

I had a rear floppy option but discontinued it. Just copy your files to a CD, network or plug in a USB drive.

USB/FW connects to on-board header on MB or add-on card.

DVD buttons input to VFD/LCD. Use Girder for programming.

Need more HDD's -get a Mass-Storage case.

Thanks, but if I add a FAQ, I will have to write it.

-Glenn

-Glenn
A-Tech Fabrication
post #280 of 2846 Old 02-27-2003, 11:44 PM
AVS Special Member

I have a question or two about rack mounting the A-Tech case in a standard 19" (Middle Atlantic) rack. Are there any photos of the "rack mounting brackets"? I assume the front panel can be removed without removing the case from the rack? A 19" wide face plate has been mentioned as a future possibility. How would this attach to the case? Would the case be mounted to the rack by the faceplate, or with brackets mounted to the side of the case which would then be hidden by the faceplate?

It has been suggested that "upgrades" may be made available. Let's say I bought a fairly basic faceplace now, with just the bare essentials, and then wanted to add a VFD, PowerMate, or buttons for controlling the DVD player. Will there be a trade-in allowance or will we send you our existing faceplate to have the new holes added, and the faceplace re-anodized?

The order form lists a "polished black anodize faceplate". This means polishing the faceplate before it's anodized? Would this make the faceplate somewhat "shiney" and reflective?

David
post #281 of 2846 Old 02-28-2003, 08:30 AM

Liked: 12
Looking at that picture, with no frame of reference, that is, some object of known color - and the variance of settings in monitors - I'm wondeing about it. On my monitor, that black anodized powermate knob looks like a middle shade of gray or flat silver.

It does not look black in terms of black that would match my other black home theater equipment. If you park that knob on top of the case of a traditionally black stereo component, how does it look in comparison?
post #282 of 2846 Old 02-28-2003, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

David,

The rack brackets are black powder-coated steel to handle the stress concentration of the overhanging load from the case. The load path goes through the side panels placing the fasteners in shear. The captive nut inserts inside of case are part of the brackets holding the faceplate so the case must be removed from rack to remove faceplate. You could mount the case into a rack without the faceplate by using a separate set of nuts.

I have not decided how I will do the new faceplate. The one-piece faceplate may be machined from much thicker plate to accommodate the need for stronger integral mounting. A lower cost alternative will be to have visible flathead screws (two on each side) on the faceplate for through mounting. These screws may also double as handle mounting, then the screws would be hidden. I was thinking of custom machining the handles to match the case. Any input on this subject would be great.

Glenn

-Glenn
A-Tech Fabrication
post #283 of 2846 Old 02-28-2003, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

That picture was taken with flash to show the surface finish detail, here is one without flash. It is very hard to take a picture of black since it is ... black.

-Glenn
A-Tech Fabrication
post #284 of 2846 Old 02-28-2003, 11:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Glenn,

All of my components have rack mount brackets that attach to the side with a pair of smallish screws, even my 35 lb Adcom amps. The brackets are all machined aluminum. I personally like the add-on brackets rather than a full 19" faceplate, and for you it means no special faceplate, just the brackets, and anyone can add the brackets for $30 or $40 or whatever. I personally don't care for handles, even though it would make it easier to get equipment in and out of the rack. Pulling a piece of gear from the rack isn't something I do very often, but I have easy access to the back of my rack, so I'm not pretending to speak for anyone else.

I do think being able to remove the faceplate without removing the case from the rack would be a nice feature.

David
post #285 of 2846 Old 03-02-2003, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Glenn_L,

These are likely my last questions before ordering.

1)How much would it cost to add support for the USBUIRT built by "jon_rhees" of AVS? It would require a wider IR cutout, but probably nothing else.

I would much rather use something like this than my IRMan. The dimensions are 2.4"W x 1.5"D x 0.7"H. My plan is to connect it directly to the USB header on Motherboard. He states we can order USB cords of any length.

AVS Discussion
Product Link

2) What is the true difference between the polished and unpolished? Is the the polished front too shiny and reflective?

Thanks. The Powermate knob looks better than my black anodized one from Griffin.
post #286 of 2846 Old 03-03-2003, 10:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Joseph,

I saw that IR device a while ago. I was waiting to try it before offering it as a option. From what I read at the time, the software needed work? I think I can install it for about the same price as the IRman.

I really won't know how reflective the polished face plate will be until I do one. The black anodize flattens it, but it has a deeper glossy look.

I have a black Griffen knob too, and find the treatment I give it look better.

-Glenn

-Glenn
A-Tech Fabrication
post #287 of 2846 Old 03-03-2003, 10:41 PM
AVS Special Member

There will be several cases finished this week. As long as the anodizing looks good, they will ship right away and the rest will follow shortly.

I got a great shipping container worked out. First the case is placed in a thick poly bag, then it is wrapped with 1/2" bubble wrap. It is then placed into a snug fitting cardboard box. This inner box is then placed into a heavy duty double wall outer box that has been lined with Styrofoam. The multi-layers of protection should allow it to survive most any kind of rough treatment during shipping.

-Glenn

-Glenn
A-Tech Fabrication
post #288 of 2846 Old 03-03-2003, 11:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Glenn,

I'm sure UPS will take that as a challenge.

David
post #289 of 2846 Old 03-04-2003, 01:10 PM

Glenn,

In response to a question you posed a couple posts above, I, personally, would love to see a case along the lines of the new Bryston amps (for instance, the 4B SST's at www.bryston.ca). I think your current design is almost there. I would warn against having exposed screws on the front of the case or forcing people to use the handles. Bryston avoids both of these pitfalls nicely.

I'm waiting patiently for the next round of cases, hoping to be able to get a case with a rackmount faceplate that will match my Brystons, so, I may be a little biased, here....

Brad
post #290 of 2846 Old 03-04-2003, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Brad,

That is exactly the type of handles I had in mind. The faceplate would look very much like the one you suggested http://www.bryston.ca/4bsstcov.html except I would blind tap the handles from the backside so you don't see the fasteners in the handle.

-Glenn

-Glenn
A-Tech Fabrication
post #291 of 2846 Old 03-05-2003, 05:31 AM

Sounds perfect, Glenn. Will you offer a similarly-designed mass storage case, as well? I'll be following the thread and checking your website, waiting for these cases to become available.
post #292 of 2846 Old 03-05-2003, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

The mass storage case which has been discussed is only 1U (1.75") high. A 19" wide faceplate makes sense, but rack handles don't.

David
post #293 of 2846 Old 03-05-2003, 11:38 AM

I wasn't suggesting that the mass storage case have handles, just that its looks are compatible with the heatsink case. It would be foolish not to have the two look similar. Stupid comment. Sorry.

There are, however, many 1RU cases with handles.
post #294 of 2846 Old 03-05-2003, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, the two cases will match and will also be available in rack and non-rack versions. I will probably have matching handles available as a extra option.

-Glenn

-Glenn
A-Tech Fabrication
post #295 of 2846 Old 03-11-2003, 02:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Kinda quiet here lately. As the only case which offers everything I want, I'm still interested, even though the price is a bit higher than I'd like to pay for a case. But I'm going to play it conservative and let others be the guinnea pigs. I guess no cases have been delivered yet, at least none to forum members?

Since I can imagine there is a bit of a queue, any estimate on when delivery would be for orders placed now?

I bought one of the PowerMate knobs to play with. It's a pretty slick product, but the clicker on mine doesn't work very well. Griffin tech support made some suggestions which I have been too lazy to try yet. I think it could be a really slick way of navigating through menu options on a VFD display. It's too bad the PowerMate will eliminate the option for a front panel USB port.

Question. On the order form, the basic faceplaces include an "Eject button". This is obviously the small hole below the drive opening, but is this for a paperclip or will there actually be a button to push? It looks too small for a button. I do use the eject button on my DVD player, so I'd prefer a button to a pin hole.

David
post #296 of 2846 Old 03-11-2003, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I really love the Bryston Look, that's exactly what I've been searching for. Go Glenn!
post #297 of 2846 Old 03-11-2003, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

I sent out notices yesterday to everyone whose case is shipping in the first group and will ship in a week. This represents over one third of the first batch. For the remaining cases, I am hoping to get out one third per week. So in a few weeks they will all be done. I will be posting pictures of some of the finished cases soon.

David,
The eject button is a button.

-Glenn

-Glenn
A-Tech Fabrication
post #298 of 2846 Old 03-15-2003, 09:25 PM

Well, I guess that means I didn't make the first batch...
post #299 of 2846 Old 03-16-2003, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

DaWorm,

You are in the first batch. I am shipping the first batch in 2-3 groups with the first group going out this week.

Glenn

-Glenn
A-Tech Fabrication
post #300 of 2846 Old 03-17-2003, 12:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Glenn,

I look forward to seeing some pictures of the actual production cases.

David
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page