Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 2846 Old 11-11-2002, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Stuart,

I tested that supply while running a simulated 8 HDD's using load resistors. At the same time, I ran benchmarks and torture tests for 24 hours without problems.

All 2U PS I have seen use two high speed 60mm fans (one at each end) to pull hot air out of the case. The fans are intended to cool the entire server case and are very noisy.

Since my case has larger, higher volume, quieter fans for cooling, I do not need to rely on the noisy PS fans to cool the case. My fan mod uses just one fan drawing in cool air at reduced speed using a 80 ohm resistor. This makes the PS almost silent. I have thermal sensors inside the PS when testing. This single fan setup produced the coolest internal PS temps, only 28-30 deg.C. It actually runs hotter when the computer is turned off (35-38 deg.C) This is because the standby circuit is still running.

The PS in the link above does not seem to have a standard 2U screw pattern. Here is a 400watt supply:
http://www.gtweb.net/ps-2u.html

-Glenn

-Glenn
A-Tech Fabrication
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 2846 Old 11-17-2002, 11:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Power supply:
I am now running my power supply fanless. I found the internal PS temps stayed about the same (28-30 deg. C) compared to a single slow running fan. The massive heatsinks inside the PS do a good job of extracting heat. The case fans pull enough air through the power supply without the need for an additional fan inside the PS.

For a very quite setup with my P4 2.26, I am running the two case fans at 2000 RPM with 68 ohm resistors and the the stock Intel CPU HS at 2000 RPM with a 47 ohm resistor. No fans in the power supply.

The case door must remain closed with no power supply fans, since you are relying on the case fans to pull the air in through the PS grill opening. When the cover is opened while PC is running, the PS temps go up quickly to about 48 deg. C.

PowerMate:
I now have a option for mounting a PowerMate. The base flange of the knob must have a flat milled on it to clear the case floor.

-Glenn

-Glenn
A-Tech Fabrication
post #93 of 2846 Old 11-18-2002, 05:57 AM

Liked: 11
This promises to be a great case; I just placed my order.

I know others have commented that the price is high. It is more expensive than other designs but it is well worth it in my opinion. This is a reasonable price for a low volume, machined, and fully customizable case. I've very impressed with the options offered and the overall fit & finish that this case promises. Plus, it can be rack mounted -- thanks Glenn!

I'm glad there is now a PowerMate option. Hopefully more black PowerMates will be available in the future.
post #94 of 2846 Old 11-21-2002, 12:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Carlton, thanks for the comments. I have now updated the PowerMate option. The new design does not require any modification to the PowerMate knob base, just install your standard knob into the case.

-Glenn

-Glenn
A-Tech Fabrication
post #95 of 2846 Old 11-21-2002, 04:41 AM

Glenn,

Very nice-looking case - both design and aesthetics. Two questions:

1. Have you done any measurements on noise? Would you please provide dB level of the setup you mentioned two posts above? Does this include a Radeon 9700?

2. Is it possible to extend the faceplate to include the mounting holes to screw it into the side rails on a rack system?

Thanks,

brad
post #96 of 2846 Old 11-21-2002, 07:29 AM

Glenn_L,
Two things 1. will a Holo3D video card fit in the box. 2. You might consider putting you website link in your signature. I will buy one if the card fits. thanks, Shane
post #97 of 2846 Old 11-21-2002, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Brad,

1. No measurements yet. Noise level is dependent on each particular configuration and what speed the fans are run at.

2. That was the way I wanted to do it at first. To standardize the parts as much as possible, I just have the add-on rack brackets right now. I may consider that option later, but it would require a different face plate entirely.

-Glenn

-Glenn
A-Tech Fabrication
post #98 of 2846 Old 11-21-2002, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Shane,

Max PCI card length is 9.5 - 10" with VFD, and 10 - 10.75" without VFD, depending on slot location.

-Glenn

-Glenn
A-Tech Fabrication
post #99 of 2846 Old 11-21-2002, 10:21 PM

So, does anyone have the dimensions of the H3D card? This a crucial point for me as I am planning to use this card. The Immersive website states that it is a "full size" PCI card. I can't remember that standard dimensions of a full size pci card. Please let it be <10"

Scott

All lessons are repeated until learned.
post #100 of 2846 Old 11-21-2002, 10:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Also, the H3D card has a power connector on its back side (by the CD drive end) which will require additional clearance for the 4-wire power plug. This makes the card require more space, maybe an extra half-inch.

Rich
post #101 of 2846 Old 11-21-2002, 10:49 PM

This is really going to bum me out if the H3D doesn't fit. I mean big time. I requested the dimensions at the Immersive forum but I haven't gotten a reply yet. If i don't get an answer I will give them a call tomorrow.

Scott

post #102 of 2846 Old 11-22-2002, 05:27 AM

Thanks Glenn_L and Scott, I'm glad I'm not the only one. I will also call sales @ immersive to see if they would be able to supply the dimensions. I just measured my RAID card which is a FULL 64Bit PCI card. it is 13.5 inches long. Shane
post #103 of 2846 Old 11-22-2002, 07:33 AM

Quote:

I think we are just under 9.5" long so you should be fine.

This is his reply on the Immersive H3D forums. I went ahead and called him this AM to ask about the HDD power connector. He stated that this does, in fact, add ~ .25 -.50 inches. He thinks we should be fine with 10.5"

My question to Glenn is: If I ordered the VFD option is there still a slot at the very end to fit this card or do I need to amend my order not to include the VFD?

Thanks,
Scott

post #104 of 2846 Old 11-22-2002, 08:17 AM

[quote]Originally posted by nebari
[b]This is his reply on the Immersive H3D forums. I went ahead and called him this AM to ask about the HDD power connector. He stated that this does, in fact, add ~ .25 -.50 inches. He thinks we should be fine with 10.5"

If its a matter of a few cm I have some fan or HDD extension cables with right-angle plugs on them so when plugged in it only sticks out about 1cm. I bought them from CompUS* . I think they were packaged by Belkin. Keep me posted.

Also a word to the wise. Some Mobo manufactures share certain slots with other devices like embedded audio or USB. Just to be sure I would check into that before haphazardly sticking boards in. Just food for thought. Shane
post #105 of 2846 Old 11-22-2002, 09:35 AM

To all who asked.
I just measured my H3d.
From the exterior of the mounting bracket to the end of the card is 9.25"

From exterior of the mounting bracket to end of card with HDD connector installed there is enough space to bend the power wires 90 deg. and be within 10".

Hope this helps you guys out
post #106 of 2846 Old 11-22-2002, 10:11 AM

Qyv10,

Thanks for the info. It sounds as though the H3D will fit into the A-Tech case - somehow.

Scott

post #107 of 2846 Old 11-22-2002, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Qyv10
To all who asked.
I just measured my H3d.
From the exterior of the mounting bracket to the end of the card is 9.25"

From exterior of the mounting bracket to end of card with HDD connector installed there is enough space to bend the power wires 90 deg. and be within 10".

Hope this helps you guys out

Is that mearsured to the end of the mounting ear that screws down to the I/O rail? The mounting ear on a typical cards adds almost a 1/2" to the overall length.

These are the internal case dimensions with VFD installed:

9.625 for PCI slots 1,2,3.
9.875 for PCI slot 6.
9.000 for PCI slots 4,5.

PCI slot 1 is nearest the AGP slot.

The difference is because of the com connector and power connector on the VFD. If the power connector on the H3D card is above those, you gain about 3/4" clearance for the wires to bend.

-Glenn
A-Tech Fabrication
post #108 of 2846 Old 11-22-2002, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
wow, this is close. How high up is the vfd connectors?

Alex
post #109 of 2846 Old 11-22-2002, 08:36 PM

Glenn,
My measurements did NOT include the ear.
They were from the exterior face of the connector bracket.

If it helps the power connector is at the top of the card.
I believe the vfd is about in the middle of the case?
Maybe the power connector will clear the top of the vfd.
If not, the 90 deg. connector that someone mentioned earlier should work in all slots but 4 & 5.

I hate to say it but the price and the short depth of the case are the reasons I won't be getting this case.
For me a deep case would be preferred just for the room to work as well as not a concern for my rack.
I made my own rack that is 22" deep 24" wide and can accommodate 18" deep components easily.
It is something like a Salamander but ALOT cheaper. Their equivalent would cost about $800 and mine was ~ $200 and 5 hours of my time.
Uhh, got a bit off topic there
Hope this helps out.
post #110 of 2846 Old 11-22-2002, 08:57 PM
Advanced Member

Well I'm a little concerned by this, considering that
  • my Matrix Orbital VFD just arrived today.
  • I just ordered my Holo3DGraph today.
  • I ordered the ATech case with lots of trimmings.

Glenn, I would be happy to send you my H3D card if you would like to test-fit it in your case, and perhaps see if any allowances could be made. It sounds like many of us are interested in the outcome.

- Chris
post #111 of 2846 Old 11-22-2002, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Nice offer, chris.

Holo-3d and this case seem like they're made for each other. I sure hope they are.

Alex
post #112 of 2846 Old 11-22-2002, 09:39 PM
RTK
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Just an idea but if someone is willing, it might be easier to take a couple pictures of the H3D card lying next to a ruler with the measurements clearly visible and send the pictures to Glenn. The other option is to ask Tom for the exact measurement specifications of the card. If that is not sufficient to make a determination, then you could certainly send in your card for a test fit.

Rick
post #113 of 2846 Old 11-22-2002, 11:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Rick,

That is a good idea for a quick check.

Chris,

It would be great if you could send me a card for a more accurate measurement. The VFD connectors align with the bottom 1/3 - 1/2 of the card, so it sounds like there is room for the upper H3D cable connector.

-Glenn

-Glenn
A-Tech Fabrication
post #114 of 2846 Old 11-24-2002, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member

Glenn, H3D is on the way.

I thought of another question. I plan to use this case for quite a long time to come. I was thinking this morning about how I could protect my investment. If the case ends up picking up a couple of nicks and scratches in the course of equipment moves or reinstalls, would you be willing to make replacement panels available to your customers? My Sunfire Cinema Grand amplifier has a nice scratch on the top from my last move, and it bothers me every time I notice it. Given that this case will be actively used and not passively sit there, it'd be nice to know that I'm protected (a bit) from any cosmetic issues that might pop up in the future.

- Chris (anxiously awaiting his case)
post #115 of 2846 Old 11-24-2002, 08:02 PM

Sir Chrispy,

I appreciate you coordinating the H3D card with Glenn. It will be nice to have a definitive answer.

Scott

post #116 of 2846 Old 11-26-2002, 12:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Chris,

Thanks for sending the card, I just got the tracking number and will let you know when it gets here.

I do plan to continue with development of additional features that could be added or retrofitted to the case in the future (example: PowerMate option was just added). The design of the case allows the faceplate to be easily replaced with a newer version or refinished. If later on you decide you want to add a new feature, you could send me your existing faceplate to be modified or just get a replacement. The top cover could also be removed for repair or replacement. If you wanted to totally overhaul the case, you could strip the anodize, sand out scratches, then re-anodize. This is something you could do yourself locally working with a anodizing shop or you could send it back to me.

-Glenn

-Glenn
A-Tech Fabrication
post #117 of 2846 Old 11-26-2002, 05:17 AM

Speaking of anodizing, I just got a new customer that does anodizing. They can do about 15 different finishes from nickle to bronze to gold. Silver works for me but if anyone shows any interest I can put you in touch with them. Glenn_L theoretically you could make a new faceplate with a "bubble" or bulge in the front to accommodate the holo3d in the event it is to long. Also I was thinking that this should have a metal tag pop rivited to the side like.
Specially built for Shane White
A-Tech Fabrication 11/02
Serial #25 of 250 limited edition series

Now that would be some serious bragging rights.
post #118 of 2846 Old 11-26-2002, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Guinn,

I can get all those colors done also, but I don't know if anyone would be interested. I was also considering polishing the cases. Actually polishing and then anodizing black looks really trick, almost like black chrome.

The only issue with fit for the H3D card is when used with a VFD. A simple solution, if there is a problem, is to move the VFD over 1/8" and install the card in slot 6. So for sure it will fit. I don't plan on changing anything until I see the card. The last operation for the face plates are to machine in the custom order options, so moving the VFD will not cause any delays.

Your idea of a name plate is interesting. The only problem with adding any artwork like a logo, is that no one can agree on what looks good. I may be machining a logo on the face plate in the future, but not on this first run. I will however be engraving or stamping a serial number inside the case.

-Glenn

-Glenn
A-Tech Fabrication
post #119 of 2846 Old 11-26-2002, 08:51 PM

Glenn,

I have also been thinking about a logo or badge. I know it is premature but I am already developing a since of pride concerning this case. I think it would be nice to have the A-tech logo on the face. May I suggest that you make or purchase a simple tasteful plaque with your "logo" with an adhesive backing. You could include this in the package and it would be up to the individual to apply it. That will allow the customer to decide where to apply it or even to decline completely.

As far as the design goes. You pick. I didn't get to chose the logo on any of my other products. Screw 'em, its your case.

Scott

post #120 of 2846 Old 11-26-2002, 09:15 PM

Quote:

As far as the design goes. You pick. I didn't get to chose the logo on any of my other products. Screw 'em, its your case.

I'm sorry, but that's just dumb.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page