Can network changes brink a WMC extender? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-18-2014, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Can network changes brink a WMC extender?

Edit- the title should say brick

Admittedly I haven't had my bedroom tv on in a week, so I cant be 100% sure the events are related.

I installed a new router tonight and noticed my 360 extender was having problems connecting to my HTPC. Re-did the extender set up process and it worked. So I went to my bedroom to see if the DMA2100 was having similar problems, and there was a blank screen. Tried unplugging it and tried the reset button - nothing but a flashing blue light.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-19-2014, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 271
I saw the exact same issue on my DMA2100 before I sold it - went to power it on one day and got the blank screen after it booted up. In my case you'd see the WMC logo as if it was going to go into the menus as normal, only to get a blank screen thereafter. Only fix was to delete and re-add it to WMC, but problem came back again after a couple of days. Tried all sorts of stuff to fix it (short of completely reinstalling the PC which I didn't want to do), but nothing worked so I got rid of it. No network changes for me btw.

I don't think the issue was with the Linksys, and neither of my two 360s had any issues at the same time. It's something getting screwed up in WMC as best as I can tell.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-19-2014, 06:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 253
It seems to me extenders remember the IP address of the host WMC. So if host WMC IP address changes, it will freak out. Re-pairing process is not exactly straight forward even on Xbox 360s. That's why I always set up router to reserve the specific IP address for WMC machine. When I switch routers, I put in those same reservations first before I put the router into the home network.
post #4 of 7 Old 11-19-2014, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

This is good stuff.

My chain goes HTPC -->router-->switch-->extender.

To troubleshoot I:
-tried booting it without an ethernet cord plugged in
-tried plugging directly into the [new] router, bypassing the switch
-tried with it connected to the router, but the modem disconnected so it couldnt call home

Does it make sense to try hooking my old router up to see if I can ressurect it that way? Given that the light is blinking blue I'm much more hopeful than if it were red.

I vaguely remember an issue a few year back where these things tried dialing home to a Linksys server that had been shut off. There was a ton of great info at The Green Button, the site Microsoft was so kind to destroy for us.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
post #5 of 7 Old 11-21-2014, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post
It seems to me extenders remember the IP address of the host WMC. So if host WMC IP address changes, it will freak out. Re-pairing process is not exactly straight forward even on Xbox 360s. That's why I always set up router to reserve the specific IP address for WMC machine. When I switch routers, I put in those same reservations first before I put the router into the home network.
I had DHCP reservation for my mediacenter, didn't make any diff. Something else happened to cause my Linksys to wig out. Even did a factory reset on it, more than once, and it would still go to blank screen on boot after a day or two.
post #6 of 7 Old 11-21-2014, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 View Post
I vaguely remember an issue a few year back where these things tried dialing home to a Linksys server that had been shut off. There was a ton of great info at The Green Button, the site Microsoft was so kind to destroy for us.
The fix for that was to set DNS to 0.0.0.0 on the Linksys, IIRC.
post #7 of 7 Old 11-21-2014, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I tried using the old router last night. Nothing I did would make it actually boot up - just the blinking blue LED. RIP DMA2100 2008-2014

Now the decision between replacing my tuner and using a PC in there, or using a 360...

My HTPC front end set up
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page