Media Server question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 11-21-2014, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Media Server question

Not sure this is in the right section, but here I go.

I have an Oppo Bdp-103 and have it hooked up to a 2tb external hd. It works, but it is far from perfect. Oppo does have network capabilities, but i am not skilled at networking.

I am interested in getting something that does the following:

I would like to be able to rip/DL movies at my office (fiber line) and upload them to my media server at home simply by dropping then in a folder of some sort. I would also like to be able to rename/rearrange/delete items at will.

Now I have to save them to an external HD, unplug HD and take home (which I forget often). Then i have to unplug external HD in basement, carry both upstairs to computer, and transfer file- which takes a long long time when doing 40gb rips.

I would also like something that has a cool interface. I have a 120" screen.

Any help?

Sony G90 CRT
Lumagen Radiance 2143
Oppo BDP-103
120" Stewart Screen
Goldenear Triton Two
Integra DTR 40.1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-21-2014, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter

If it could easily play iso/mt2s files without me monkeying with them alot, that would be awesome.

Sony G90 CRT
Lumagen Radiance 2143
Oppo BDP-103
120" Stewart Screen
Goldenear Triton Two
Integra DTR 40.1

Last edited by jfbhd4; 11-21-2014 at 08:07 AM.
post #3 of 9 Old 11-21-2014, 08:09 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfbhd4 View Post
Not sure this is in the right section, but here I go.

I have an Oppo Bdp-103 and have it hooked up to a 2tb external hd. It works, but it is far from perfect. Oppo does have network capabilities, but i am not skilled at networking.

I am interested in getting something that does the following:

I would like to be able to rip/DL movies at my office (fiber line) and upload them to my media server at home simply by dropping then in a folder of some sort. I would also like to be able to rename/rearrange/delete items at will.

Now I have to save them to an external HD, unplug HD and take home (which I forget often). Then i have to unplug external HD in basement, carry both upstairs to computer, and transfer file- which takes a long long time when doing 40gb rips.

I would also like something that has a cool interface. I have a 120" screen.

Any help?
Why don't you just leave the hard drive at home, then remote desktop into your home computer. This way your not transporting hard drive and the time to move files.
post #4 of 9 Old 11-21-2014, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter

The hard drive at home is in the basement hooked up to the Oppo. The computer is upstairs. Also Oppo cant play the mt2s or iso files i am 99% sure.

Sony G90 CRT
Lumagen Radiance 2143
Oppo BDP-103
120" Stewart Screen
Goldenear Triton Two
Integra DTR 40.1

Last edited by jfbhd4; 11-21-2014 at 08:23 AM.
post #5 of 9 Old 11-21-2014, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Even though you have Fiber at work, you are relying on your home internet's download speed to copy the files. It would probably be quicker to just copy them to the external at work and drive them to your house. Your car probably has more bandwidth in this case.

I'm also assuming you are doing this because you want to swap multiple discs while at work, but if doing it remotely from home you could only do one per day since you can't physically switch the discs. Also, the remote method wouldn't make much sense because you would simply start the disc rip after you insert the disc and it would be finished by the time you got home.

Using any decent media manager you wouldn't even need to bother to rename and rearrange because these programs do all that automatically. The simplest thing to do would be an FTP server on your home computer that you connect to at work and send the files over. Otherwise there are many other programs that allow file transfer such as TeamViewer. I do question what kind of job allows you to do this, but I assume you won't be fired...

post #6 of 9 Old 11-21-2014, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. Now that I think about it, I don't really think it would be good to have another device, because I would have to calibrate another input for my Lumagen and that requires professional assistance.

Ok, I have a spare computer. I guess I will set it up in my equipment room and hook the external HD to it.
I will have to do some research on how to turn it into a FTP server (any help would be awesome). I will then be able to load it from work?

I am self employed, so "I DO WHAT I WANT". In testing my bandwith, I get about 80 meg DL (never understood difference between MBPS MEG etc) from home, which i understand to be relatively fast.

Sony G90 CRT
Lumagen Radiance 2143
Oppo BDP-103
120" Stewart Screen
Goldenear Triton Two
Integra DTR 40.1
post #7 of 9 Old 11-21-2014, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Thanks for the input. Now that I think about it, I don't really think it would be good to have another device, because I would have to calibrate another input for my Lumagen and that requires professional assistance.

Ok, I have a spare computer. I guess I will set it up in my equipment room and hook the external HD to it.
I will have to do some research on how to turn it into a FTP server (any help would be awesome). I will then be able to load it from work?

I am self employed, so "I DO WHAT I WANT". In testing my bandwith, I get about 80 meg DL (never understood difference between MBPS MEG etc) from home, which i understand to be relatively fast.
Internet speeds are shown in MegaBITS per second. There are 8 bits per byte. So your connection is 10 MegaBYTES per second download. If you are saying your home internet is 80 Mbps then your 40 GB file would take about (40,000 MB / 10 MB/sec = 4,000 sec = 66.7 minutes) an hour. If you have monthly bandwidth caps at home then you might get in trouble. Here Comcast has 300GB/month which would be between 7 and 8 40GB disc transfers not counting any other normal activity.

For the file copy I'd skip the FTP route and use TeamViewer. That will give you access to your desktop. There is a file transfer utility built in.

post #8 of 9 Old 11-21-2014, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter

Well, crap. Just talked to charter- even though we have fiber, it would cost $1500 a month for a 100meg upload. Not really in the cards for this.

We can close this down.

Sony G90 CRT
Lumagen Radiance 2143
Oppo BDP-103
120" Stewart Screen
Goldenear Triton Two
Integra DTR 40.1
post #9 of 9 Old 11-21-2014, 06:35 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Quote:
Also Oppo cant play the mt2s or iso files i am 99% sure.
It does M2TS, but not ISO.

It can access SMB network shares as well as DLNA.

-Bill
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page