AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

General HiPix tech support thread (not necessarily related to v3.5)

53K views 872 replies 161 participants last post by  balazer 
#1 ·
Please post you tech support issues or questions here about the HiPix.

#2 ·
I was wondering since the remote that came with the HiPix is basically crap (don't take offense), is there anyway that another remote, say my all for one could do direct input to certain functions of the HiPix, say, direct input stations, select diferent inputs without cycling through all of them? I taught my remote the hot keys from my wireless keyboard and that is a start to pause, stop, skip ahead, etc, but would like more functionality from a remote so that a keyboard would not really be needed. Any ideas?

Thanks for all your work!

Jim

#3 ·
Jim, someone on our team made the code for that several months ago. Unfortunately, he went overseas and I never heard from him again.

What most of us do is use IRman+girder+your universal remote of choice to control all the HiPix hotkeys. If you want to get really fancy, you can get one of those Gyro pointer mice and just point at the display.

#4 ·
I have tried to resolve this error message when scheduling or try to start Meerkat after a prior error message. It is the error message above in the subject line.

I cannot find any other thread on "Hipix Overflow" in the Forum.

I have tried HipixCleaner, delete program directory, reinstall driver, reinstall application. Done this both on 3.1 beta and 3.5 beta (nice job Hipix Team).

Any ideas what I need to do?

I am running WinXP Pro SP1 with 256mb of memory, Radeon LE, PowerDVD XP.

Thanks,

Dennis

#5 ·
Outstanding guys! The load of v3.5 went without a hitch. Question: when you are in full screen mode, how can I get it back to the desktop without using the remote? Used to be able to click the mouse and it would happen. Now I don't have any other method to get baxck to the desktop than using the remote. Any hot keys for this? Did I miss some change that happened a long time ago? Thanks in advance.

Jon Rees: When we worked at the same Philips facility, I wish that I had met you and got to know you better... you are one talented guy! And we seem to share the same passions.

#7 ·
I tried to use the editor to remove commercials from a recording. When I selected the apply to .ts files I got the following error:

Run Time Error "339"

Component mscomctl.ocx or one of it's dependencies not correctly registered. A file is missing or invalid.

I searched for this file and did not find it on my C: drive.

I am running WinXP, no service pack.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the latest drivers, but did not use the cleaner program.

BTW

The rest of the App and the featues look great. Thanks for the hard work!!

Dave

#8 ·
I will look into Girder and see if it works out for me. Maybe we could use the MyHD remote, my friend has it and looks like it would do everything, but that's just a thought unless you guys know of a remote that will do it.

Thanks again!

Jim

#10 ·
BTW, where are Girder and IRman files located?

BTW, I am excited about this new update, came in time for my New Samsung HLM507W, my first HDTV, been using the HiPix on a old Analog Mits 27" since I got it. I figured that I tested it enough over these last months to give it some use NOW. I get the set tommorrow. :)

BTW, new version installed without a hitch, nice. One thing I did notice is that nothing was changed with the DVD playback, was that NTSC splash screen that difficult to remove?

Also, if you developers continue to work on the DVD playback, I did find a bug that I did not mention before. If you try to play back a "virtual DVD" back with Zoomplayer and the HiPix, it will not play, but not using the HiPix and it plays back just fine on ANY software DVD player. By a "Virtual DVD", I mean a extracted .iso of a DVD mounted as a "Virtual drive" using Fantom CD or Daemon Tools.

Thanks!

Jim

#13 ·
Michael, I didn't install the DVD patch and the DVD playback on the 3.5 version worked just like the last version or was it cause there was remnants of it from my prior install?

Jim

#14 ·
I currently have the hipix card and everything seems to work

great however I have a couple questions. I have version 3.00 and I can't

get any of the hot keys to work from my airboard wireless keyboard. Do I

have to activate the hot keys. If so, where? It's very distracting to have to toggle back to the app to fast forward etc. I also have heard people discussing an On Screen Display with hipix and I don't have this. Is this something else I need to activate? If so, how? Any info would be appreciated.

I posted this earlier but didn't really understand the responses.

Thanks,

Jeremy

#16 ·
Now that this thread exists, it's a better place for my question:

A question about the commercial autodetection - does it look for AR changes only to 4:3, or any change in AR from the normal 16:9? In Denver, on our ABC station, they broadcast all of the local shows and commercials stretched, rather than in 4:3 like the other stations do. Will 3.5 detect the change in AR to stretched and still bookmark out the commercials, or will it only work for the national commercials that the stations sends in 4:3?

#17 ·
Mark, there has to be some kind of change in the AR for the HiPix to detect a commercial break. If you see black borders (even a little bit) during the commercial break, the Hipix can detect the commercials. In the SF Bay Area, we have a relatively big group of DTV viewers who asked our local TV stations to NOT distort 4:3 content (commercials or not); this is commonly called "distortvision".

#18 ·
Markdl,

As Michael pointed out, if you can spot any significant change in borders you can tweak the AR detection to catch it. Borders may indeed be there even if you don't see them if you're using a standard or RPTV, since they overscan and generally hide this. In that case, run your HiPix to a computer monitor *or* you can look at the 'Currently Detected Value' value which is displayed in the commercial detection settings dialog.

AR detection, in general, is a stopgap solution which will probably only be useful for the next season or two. The commercial detection engine in the HiPix is designed to be extensible to works in progress for more elaborate detection techniques -- based on everything from scene activity to sound patterns.

-Jon

#21 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by duihlein
I tried to use the editor to remove commercials from a recording. When I selected the apply to .ts files I got the following error:

Run Time Error "339"

Component mscomctl.ocx or one of it's dependencies not correctly registered. A file is missing or invalid.

Dave
Dave,

Please PM me your email address where I can send you a 'test' app that will probably resolve this.

-Jon

#22 ·
Kudos to the HiPix team for another great release! One thing I have notice is if I check the loopback, even though I don't have it hooked up, I still get the OSD, which is way cool. One bad thing is my mouse is trapped in the grayed out area on my pc, which makes it difficult to turn the loopback off (although I somehow manage to do it, sometimes), It would be great if you could add a button on the OSD that would turn off loopback to return control to the pc (so to speak). I hope this makes sense :) I like using the OSD but I don't want to use the loopback (for various reasons).

Thanks once again for a great program!

#23 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by mkanet
Mark, there has to be some kind of change in the AR for the HiPix to detect a commercial break. If you see black borders (even a little bit) during the commercial break, the Hipix can detect the commercials. In the SF Bay Area, we have a relatively big group of DTV viewers who asked our local TV stations to NOT distort 4:3 content (commercials or not); this is commonly called "distortvision".
Thanks for the replies, Michael and Jon. In Denver, there are 40 or 50 of us who are vocal, and regularly talk to station engineers here. The problem we have with our ABC station is they are broadcasting a 4 kW signal from the top of their 6 story building downtown, so there are only about 15 of us in town that can even get the signal. We've tried to get them to stop distorting the pictiure, but they haven't listened yet. I doubt there's much of a border change when they switch from 16:9 normal mode to 4:3 stretched mode. But, I'll just have to try it and see, I guess.

#24 ·
The EPG is much better than it was, but is still has trouble. I was able to get the KQED program guide to display properly for the first time since the AVS team started working on the software. After attempting to get a program listing on every station in the area, there was sound, but no picture when I exited the EPG, I could change channel, but still no picture. Attempting to close Hipix caused it to hang. End program did not work. My computer hung "saving settings" when I tried to re-start. I had to hit the reset button on my computer to recover.

#25 ·
The "F" key to switch to full screen mode still works when hipix is set to not use the loopback cable. This is a bug, but maby it can be turned into a feature. It would be nice to be able to use the onscreen controls even if one is not using the loopback cable. Perhaps the F key should just move the mouse pointer from the computer to the HDTV display & back when the loopback cable is disabled. It almost does this already, the biggest problem with using the "F" key without the loopback cable is that every other press of the "F" key disables the HDTV output.

#26 ·
DAP, I have no problems at all with scheduling from either 36.1 or 30.1 using the OTA EPG. If fact, it seems to work better than ever before (better than v2.31 and earlier).

Does this happen the same exact way you described every time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.