3.5mm jack -> RCA -> Receiver, possible? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 7 Unread Today, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
3.5mm jack -> RCA -> Receiver, possible?

like the titles, I want to connect a 3.5mm jack source to my receiver, can I use a 3.5mm to RCA cables then connect to the receiver?

Do I get any sound from that setup? how is the sound quality? can I possibly get 5.1 sound from that setup?

Thank you very much
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Unread Today, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 208
You will get analog stereo sound. Your receiver would have to process the stereo signal to whatever fake 5.1 format it supports. You will not get bitstreaming Dobly Digital or DTS.

Doesn't your computer have any better output options, such as HDMI?

post #3 of 7 Unread Today, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post
You will get analog stereo sound. Your receiver would have to process the stereo signal to whatever fake 5.1 format it supports. You will not get bitstreaming Dobly Digital or DTS.

Doesn't your computer have any better output options, such as HDMI?
it does but I have a problem, HDMI doesn't carry my microphone input to the receiver. do you know anyway that I can force micro input through HDMI to the receiver?

when I use 3.5mm input with a sound bar it's okay
post #4 of 7 Unread Today, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 33
You can get multi-channel sound (and HD audio as well) provided your computer has outputs for that many channels (5.1+) and your receiver has multi-channel analog inputs.

The only caveat is, PCs have notoriously "low" output levels compared to CE gear. You're probably going to have to dial the volume up like 10dB more than with a digital source/connection (or even an analog connection from say a component CD/DVD/BD player, etc.), which can get annoying when switching sources or even going to a digital out from the PC for stereo (e.g. get blasted when forgetting to turn the volume down when switching from the PC to another source).

Prior to getting an HDMI receiver, I used to use multi-analog from my HTPC to my older receiver in the same fashion for BD playback. The SQ was great it was just the level issue that sucked. Eventually I got an HDMI receiver but prior to doing that I had thought about getting a line-driver to boost the analog signal to acceptable levels. Problem is, finding a 6ch RCA line driver was not easily done and largely only seen in the car audio market but even then not very common and not cost-effective either. I never did try that avenue but if you intend to "go analog" just be aware that you may find the "volume low" when you do so.

Last edited by ES_Revenge; Today at 06:43 PM.
post #5 of 7 Unread Today, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ES_Revenge View Post
You can get multi-channel sound (and HD audio as well) provided your computer has outputs for that many channels (5.1+) and your receiver has multi-channel analog inputs.

The only caveat is, PCs have notoriously "low" output levels compared to CE gear. You're probably going to have to dial the volume up like 10dB more than with a digital source/connection (or even an analog connection from say a component CD/DVD/BD player, etc.), which can get annoying when switching sources or even going to a digital out from the PC for stereo (e.g. get blasted when forgetting to turn the volume down when switching from the PC to another source).

Prior to getting an HDMI receiver, I used to use multi-analog from my HTPC to my older receiver in the same fashion for BD playback. The SQ was great it was just the level issue that sucked. Eventually I got an HDMI receiver but prior to doing that I had thought about getting a line-driver to boost the analog signal to acceptable levels. Problem is, finding a 6ch RCA line driver was not easily done and largely only seen in the car audio market but even then not very common and not cost-effective either. I never did try that avenue but if you intend to "go analog" just be aware that you may find the "volume low" when you do so.
Thank you, your post is so helpful to me. I think I'll be fine with stereo
post #6 of 7 Unread Today, 08:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I used these on my old home theater setup for 7.1 audio. It worked really well for analog output of DTS-HD and TrueHD before I had a HDCP capable system.

Creative Sound Blaster Home Theater Cables

post #7 of 7 Unread Today, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1retap View Post
I used these on my old home theater setup for 7.1 audio. It worked really well for analog output of DTS-HD and TrueHD before I had a HDCP capable system.

Creative Sound Blaster Home Theater Cables

what a colorful cable you have there, so sad I don't have that kind of input on my receiver
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page