AVS Forum banner

Worth Buying a 4k Video Card for 4k TV?

820 views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  bcec 
#1 ·
I made the mistake of listening to someone at Best Buy and bought a GeForce 610 GT for my HTPC (upgraded from a 430), while I should have spent a bit more and bought something that can handle a better output signal.

At the same time, I have the Samsung hu8550 4K TV and looking to maximize my video quality, but not to empty the bank while doing so.

I purchased an Onkyo AVR that claims to upscale to 4k, but only does so at 4k @ 30hz with 4:2:0 Chroma, so that's junk as I watch a lot of sports, and not to mention it gives the blank or "no signal" message when I try to tune into HBO.

Therefore I'm wondering if anyone saw a big difference in getting something like the 970/980 GTX video card into a 4K for TV type content? I mainly watch TV and movies (have a Samsung 4k 3D bluray player that's amazing) from the HTPC. I'd like to set it up for gaming, but I don't want to sacrifice the hardware I currently have as it's not meant for hardcore gaming, so will be looking to build one come next year.

Any thoughts, or is just spending $400 on a 4K video card a waste when the Samsung upscales already to 4K?

See less See more
#2 ·
From reading, if you don't want to spend big money on like a 970 or anything and can hold out for next year, I would wait, nothing is out for the PCs yet that has HDMI 2.0 with HDCP 2.2.

I picked up a interm card for my HTPC, a GTX750ti SC, the new Nivida drivers claim that it can out put in 2160p @ 60 hz with HDMI 1.4a, I only paid $90 for the card, so it should hold me off till the next gen cards hit, by they we should be able to get a reasonable priced card that will be able to do 4K with out breaking the bank.

4K gaming....well that is whole different story....Yea, maybe 2 or 3 GTX970's.... Crazy price but, I would admit it must be really freaking cool... Too rich for my blood right now..

#4 · (Edited)
Does your graphics card have two outputs, one dvi and another HDMI? If so, you can do what I'm doing. Quality dvi->HDMI cable connects your PC to TV (you need a true dual link dvi cable for this). This will give you 4K at 30Hz 4:4:4. 30hz is enough for regular TV content (they are at 29.97fps), and movies (23.976fps). Then a second cable, HDMI->HDMI goes to your receiver. In windows sound settings, you can pick your audio source (your avr). You will avoid currently useless upgrade till 2.0 cards and AVRs become much cheaper.

#6 ·
Does your graphics card have two outputs, one dvi and another HDMI? If so, you can do what I'm doing. Quality dvi->HDMI cable connects your PC to TV (you need a true dual link dvi cable for this). This will give you 4K at 30Hz 4:4:4. 30hz is enough for regular TV content (they are at 29.97fps), and movies (23.976fps). Then a second cable, HDMI->HDMI goes to your receiver. In windows sound settings, you can pick your audio source (your avr). You will avoid currently useless upgrade till 2.0 cards and AVRs become much cheaper.
Can you please recomment any true dual link dvi cable in the market now?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.