AVS Forum banner

First OpenElec build- problems

256 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  TornadoTJ 
#1 ·
I bought a Zotac ci320 minipc and installed Win 8.1 on it and it overscanned way too much on my HDTV so I gave up on it. I installed OpenElec on it today and all seems good, no overscan, except it can't seem to find my USB external 4 drive hard drive bay. The bios sees them, the OpenElec install sees them, but the program itself doesn't (I can't access them). I can see my eSata Blu-Ray drive, a USB Flash Drive, just not the Mediasonic USB external drive bay.

It's in the JBOD config, all drives are NTFS, off the windows box (and they're full of data, so there's no chance that I'm going to reformat them). I don't know anything about Linux. I assume they need to be "mounted" to be accessed?

Thanks for the help.

#2 ·
Keep in mind that OpenELEC is Linux, so things are different than the Windows world. An external drive will not automatically show up.

I'm going to do my best to do this from memory, forgive me if I miss something along the way, as I set this up for my dad and do not have access to it from home. Also, I am very much a Linux novice.

You have to go to Videos, Files, then browse to add the drive. BUT, you have to know the Linux name for the drive. In my case, it is /var/media/Data (and I am 99% sure caps matter).

Data is the volume name for the external drive on his setup.

There's a command to display the media attached, I think it is "df". To run commands on an OpenELEC box, you have to SSH using Putty or similar on another PC, then you'll have the CLI to run commands. Once there, you can type df (and enter) and get a list of the volumes and their names. You'll see two names, one something like /dev/sda1 and then the other more similar to the volume on the external drive, in my case /var/media/Data. The second one is the one you want.

http://www.binarytides.com/linux-command-check-disk-partitions/

#3 ·
Hmm, typically OpenELEC automounts all drives for you, preventing you from needing to know anything about linux

However, you mention all drives are NTFS formatted. This shouldn't be any sort of problem, but can you run a chkdsk on the drives in windows and make sure that you do a shutdown on the windows box before disconnecting the drives?

Also, do you have SSH enabled and know how to use it with Openelec? The username and password should be "root" and "openelec" by default. You can use putty to SSH in windows or any android phone can run a terminal emulator. You would need to enter "ssh root@ip.address.of.openelec" then enter the password when prompted. You'll have to enable SSH in OpenELEC's configuration as well (should be an add-on that shows up under "System" in the confluence skin or under add-ons in other skins). After you get that far, if it's still not working report back and I can tell you the commands to use to check some stuff out on your box (http://www.dsm.fordham.edu/cgi-bin/man-cgi.pl?topic=journalctl)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.