AVS Forum banner

coupler can I connect both my Silicon dust TV tuner & range extender

687 views 24 replies 6 participants last post by  blueiedgod 
#1 ·
#3 ·
#5 ·
Why make life complicated?

Add a $10 5-port switch and be done with it.

#6 · (Edited)
Why make life complicated?

Add a $10 5-port switch and be done with it.
Switch looks OK couple ?s

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704042

1.switch claims 5 port when in reality it's only 4 correct because I see 5 RJ45 plugs on the back I'm assumming one has to be the out?

2.how is each device connected selected for use are the push buttons on the front?

3.I currently only have two devices that require a ethernet connection TV tuner & net AP, besides another TV tuner what other devices could be plugged in?

4.what color are the LEDs green for good red for not so good?

5.what is unmanaged?

edit I kindof prefer the USB to RJ45 connected why wouldn't this work?

Thanks STB

#9 ·
OK so the CAT5 cable has in and out on each port.

I currently have either the range extender or the TV tuner plugged into the Ethernet port on the PC

so if I plug the TV tuner into port one of switch and range extender into port two of switch how is the switch connected to the Ethernet port on the PC?
remember I don't have a router.

edit I kindof like the USB to RJ45 because I only connect the range extender to the HTPC once every two weeks to update my TV guide listings then use the RE on my work station Lap top PC everyday use.

Thanks STB

#14 ·
What is the range extender, and where does it get its signal to extend the range?

Which device assigns IP addresses to your networked devices?

Did you manually assign IP addresses to all your network devices?

You need to map out the whole network, and post it here.

Is the range extender a power line adapter, or wireless range extender? Where is the signal that it is extending coming from?

If you think you can manage dual NIC (that is what the USB device will show up as in Windows) you are more than welcome to do that. However, I envision a post where "I can't see my device"

#13 ·
You don't need a router to connect one device to the internet, or if you have multiple IP's issued by your provider.

#16 ·
If you only have one device on the network, you don't need a router with FiOS either. The Eithernet port on the ONT will support 1 IP address for a standard residential customer.

#19 ·
If you don't rent any of their boxes (Cable box or DVR) you don't have to use MoCA for Internet.

Connect your preferred router to the Ethernet port of the ONT, and power it up. Call tech support. It should take less than 5 minutes for them to remotely switch Internet from MoCA to Ethernet.

#18 ·
I managed to get the range extender working as a wireless range extender instead of using it as a wired AP so I'm only using the ethernet port for the tuner.
wifi range extenders external antenna VS internal antenna
which is better?
I'm located about 125' from the N type router both RE recieve a weak signal net is slitely better at 16%-20%.
I've been testing out the TP link w/ internal antenna it's Mbps flucsoates between 105-117 stays more at 117.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704187
and this net gear it's Mbps is 144.5 and seams to have less drop outs both have dropout and do recover.
both have 5 bars of signal strenght.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122496
I'm thinking this TP link w/ it's longer external antennas could be worth a try an may receive signal better and have less drop outs?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704124
but this maybe even better, I've had one of there USB network adapters worked OK however it had to be located on the other side of house w/ 20' of USB2.0 cable so it's not doable.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833168045
I wonder if it has a on/off button
edit: I connect the RE wirelessly the work station PC connects wirelessly about two feet away from w/ a roswill RNX180 USB network adapter at 144.5Mbps.
HTPC (located in same room about ten feet away from RE gets it's signal from range ext. though the roswill RNX180 USB network adapter it connects at a 300Mbps. as for bytes recieved are three to four times the amount sent however even at 144.5 & 300Mbps I have slow internet.
The Netgear works OK however I would like to improve it's net connection speed which usalley takes 5 minutes after it boots up
also would like to decrease the # of drop outs.
I would prefer a long range USB network adapter that connects faster any suggestions?

I get easily confussed w/ PC termenologoly terms like repeater, bridge, extender signal booster,Range Expander
ect .
any tips on range extenders.
Thanks STB

#20 ·
There is a coax cable coming from the ONT to the Actiontec router. I tried plugging into the ethernet port on the ONT and got nothing. I called Verizon and they said they would not change the ONT so I could use ethernet.

I don't rent any boxes at all from them, but I do use Cablecard in my HDHR Prime.

I'm an IT guy, so I have a Juniper firewall I would prefer to use. I have it in place now, but it's messy. I'd rather bypass the Actiontec completely. I guess I can try it again, worth a shot. It was 3+ years ago last time I called them.

#24 ·
Call them again. We have ours configured through Ethernet for Internet. Coax is only used to connect to the Ceton InfiniTV6 ETH.

#21 ·
Most new FIOS installations now have the Ethernet port on the ONT permanently blocked with glue. That's the Verizon's way saying F you.

I wonder if you can use a MoCA adapter to connect the coax from ONT and convert it into Ethernet then connect to your own router. I don't have FIOS right now but the new house I'm going to move into will only have FIOS. I'm dreading about it everyday.

#23 ·
You are dreading FIOS? When I moved last year there wasn't even telephone or coax running to my house. I'm happy to now have coax for Comcast. After failing to get residential service to run the cable I was able to get business service to run it as long as I did a 3 year contract.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.