*Official* Nvidia Shield Console - HTPC discussion - Page 134 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 647Likes

post #3991 of 4345 Old 04-16-2017, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Do any of you know what this icon is, and why it's showing on my screen? It there when I'm using the PS Vue and "Live Channels" apps, and possibly others.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1796.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	156.4 KB
ID:	2087553  

PN59D8000 and JVC RS420 with Elite 120" screen
Receiver - Yamaha RX-A3060, WXA-50 MusicCast Amp for Zone 2
Front - CM9, Center - CMC2, Side Surrounds - DS3, Rear Surrounds - CM5, Front/Rear Atmos - CCM663, Subs - PB12+ and PB13 Ultra
Remote/Streaming Media Players - Harmony Elite, Apple TV 4, Nvidia Shield Pro - use with HDHomeRun Connect/Extend and Plex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3992 of 4345 Old 04-16-2017, 02:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1032 Post(s)
Liked: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetmeat View Post
Do any of you know what this icon is, and why it's showing on my screen? It there when I'm using the PS Vue and "Live Channels" apps, and possibly others.
I've seen that but I have no idea what the cause is nor how to get rid of it. It would come up with various icons, but for me the most common was the station logo from whatever channel I had selected from the HDHomerun TV plugin. It would stay there for quite a while but eventually go away for me.

I only noticed it after upgrading to Nougat. Unfortunately that broke DRM for me with the View app so I temporarily replaced my Shield with an Odroid until SD has DRM working on their DVR app. But I did a factory reset on my Shield after the upgrade and reinstalled SPMC and that icon would still appear there.
Sweetmeat likes this.

RAID protection is only for failed drives. That's it. It's no replacement for a proper backup.
post #3993 of 4345 Old 04-16-2017, 03:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Guys,
Regarding media on my win 10 and SMB through the Shield. Do I still have to create a user profile on the win 10 machine with password for the Shield ?
Is there another way without adding passwords/ or another user to my win 10 machine ?

post #3994 of 4345 Old 04-16-2017, 07:52 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 19
For those of you that are using your Shield for both PLEX server + player, how are you adding/downloading new content to your shield-connected drives?

I can't seem to yet drop my old HTPC as a PLEX server as it is still the source of downloads, copying, etc., but i really want to as it's old and dying.
post #3995 of 4345 Old 04-16-2017, 08:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0R0 View Post
Guys,
Regarding media on my win 10 and SMB through the Shield. Do I still have to create a user profile on the win 10 machine with password for the Shield ?
Is there another way without adding passwords/ or another user to my win 10 machine ?
I think it depends on how you plan to access the media. For me, when accessing via ES File Explorer to play in MX Player I simply map the SMB share by accessing the LAN and associated PC IP address. It will ask for a user login at that point and I enter in a username and password associated with that machine. On the PC itself, you need to right-click the folder/drive you want to share and apply advanced sharing, add the user and apply desired privileges.

For KODI, it's a similar process. I share the folder on the PC on the LAN (which is inherently an SMB share) and give access privileges to a specific user. I then map the drive / location in KODI with that specific IP address and user account whose privileges were granted at the PC.

I never allow "everyone" as users that can access the share.

Alternatively, you can use NFS Share via Hanewin, which I find circumvents the SMB sharing requirements and has faster transfer rates anyway.
post #3996 of 4345 Old 04-16-2017, 08:49 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhalmo View Post
For KODI, it's a similar process. I share the folder on the PC on the LAN (which is inherently an SMB share) and give access privileges to a specific user. I then map the drive / location in KODI with that specific IP address and user account whose privileges were granted at the PC.
I actually was referring to kodi (spmc to be specific).
So that's a yes, you do set up an extra user in windows with sharing privileges. No getting around this it seems
post #3997 of 4345 Old 04-17-2017, 12:04 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Do you have ES File Explorer installed?
Sweetmeat likes this.

Gear: Sony KDL48W600B, Anthony Gallo A'Diva Ti 5.1, Mirage MM6, Nvidia Shield TV (2nd Gen), Sony CMT-DC1, Kenwood BR-2001 Minidisc Micro System, Numark TT-1, Gemini XL-500 II, Behringer VMX300, JBL Pebbles
post #3998 of 4345 Old 04-17-2017, 12:57 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Do you know if you can get Atmos audio when streaming games from PC?
post #3999 of 4345 Old 04-17-2017, 05:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1717 Post(s)
Liked: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by razrsharp View Post
For those of you that are using your Shield for both PLEX server + player, how are you adding/downloading new content to your shield-connected drives?

I can't seem to yet drop my old HTPC as a PLEX server as it is still the source of downloads, copying, etc., but i really want to as it's old and dying.
External drive connected as external media. Unplug the drive, connect it to my PC, rip my files to it, then put it back on the Shield.
post #4000 of 4345 Old 04-17-2017, 06:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ungraphic View Post
Do you have ES File Explorer installed?

Yes, I do. I think I may have needed it to install some app, maybe Live Net TV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Front - CM9, Center - CMC2, Side Surrounds - DS3, Rear Surrounds - CM5, Front/Rear Atmos - CCM663, Subs - PB12+ and PB13 Ultra
Remote/Streaming Media Players - Harmony Elite, Apple TV 4, Nvidia Shield Pro - use with HDHomeRun Connect/Extend and Plex
post #4001 of 4345 Old 04-17-2017, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Yes, I do. I think I may have needed it to install some app, maybe Live Net TV.

It's probably it, go into ES File Explorer's settings and fiddle around with popup notifications or whatever. I had a similar problem.
Sweetmeat likes this.

Gear: Sony KDL48W600B, Anthony Gallo A'Diva Ti 5.1, Mirage MM6, Nvidia Shield TV (2nd Gen), Sony CMT-DC1, Kenwood BR-2001 Minidisc Micro System, Numark TT-1, Gemini XL-500 II, Behringer VMX300, JBL Pebbles
post #4002 of 4345 Old 04-17-2017, 05:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
It's probably it, go into ES File Explorer's settings and fiddle around with popup notifications or whatever. I had a similar problem.
I checked out the ES File settings, and there are a ton! I flipped a bunch of switches on/off to see if that icon went away but I couldn't find a setting that turned it off.

I did notice, however, that I have a show being DVR'd by Plex right now, and another one right after that. I'll see in about 90 minutes if that icon goes away when the DVR is done.

post #4003 of 4345 Old 04-19-2017, 09:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0R0 View Post
Guys,
So I'm not sure exactly what your concern is, but it may be a concern I had. As I'm sure you're aware, if you start using Win10 to it's fullest potential (if this machine is more for you than just an idle media server, which is totally fair and reasonable IMO), you end up in a situation where it puts a username and password on your box, even if you didn't want one/need one for this machine. Then, if you have regularly scheduled (2x per week, for me) reboots, the machine doesn't come "all the way back up" and automatically reconnect all my networked NAS drives, without someone stomping all the way down to the basement and manually logging in. This is unacceptable.

I got an auto-login script from another friendly poster on these forums that worked for me:
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/autologon.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Use that and you can have the username/password obstacle, but your PC can/will still come up out of reboot and handle the login for you automatically.

I then followed this tutorial for steps to automate the process of having Win10 reconnect my network NAS drives once the auto-login occurred:
http://in5stepstutorials.com/windows-7/automatically-reconnect-windows-to-shared-network-drives.php

After I did those things, my problems went away, and I was able to still do "other things" with my Win10 machine (use the Windows App store, specifically), and no longer be inconvenienced by Windows forcing a username/password login screen on me and then failing to reconnect my NAS drives for me.

Hope this helps.
Dhalmo likes this.
post #4004 of 4345 Old 04-19-2017, 12:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Send a message via Skype™ to mariob33
Quote:
I checked out the ES File settings, and there are a ton! I flipped a bunch of switches on/off to see if that icon went away but I couldn't find a setting that turned it off.

I did notice, however, that I have a show being DVR'd by Plex right now, and another one right after that. I'll see in about 90 minutes if that icon goes away when the DVR is done.

It is definitely ES. The suggestion is to remove it. There is a setting to turn off but it gets reset with each upgrade.
Sweetmeat likes this.

In search of video bliss...
post #4005 of 4345 Old 04-20-2017, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Every time I start Live Channels, closed captioning is turned on and I have to turn it off. Is anyone else experiencing this? Is there a way to permanently set it so that CC is off when Live Channels is started?
post #4006 of 4345 Old 04-20-2017, 05:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post
Every time I start Live Channels, closed captioning is turned on and I have to turn it off. Is anyone else experiencing this? Is there a way to permanently set it so that CC is off when Live Channels is started?

I am not having that issue. Have you tried clearing the data and cache within Shield Settings, Apps, Live Channels?

post #4007 of 4345 Old 04-20-2017, 05:31 PM
Advanced Member

Is there anyone using a Shield that has the BTN2GO app? It's not in the App Store, but I'm hoping I could find an APK to sideload it.

post #4008 of 4345 Old 04-21-2017, 06:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariob33 View Post
It is definitely ES. The suggestion is to remove it. There is a setting to turn off but it gets reset with each upgrade.
Quote:
You were both right. I saw that icon again last night, so I uninstalled ES File Explorer and less than a half of a second after clicking "uninstall" the icon disappeared.

I would think that if ES File Explorer was causing that icon to be displayed, it should have been displayed all of the time, unless the setting to display that icon was turned off. But that's not what happened, as most of the time the icon wasn't displayed. That makes me think that ES File Explorer turned that icon on when it was "working", but I'm not sure why it was ever "working" because I hadn't opened the app for around 2 weeks, and I always force close an app after using it.

post #4009 of 4345 Old 04-21-2017, 06:11 AM
Advanced Member

What do you guys use to download APK's to your Shields? I don't really like having to boot up my PC to download to a USB stick, and then moving it to my Shield.

I saw someone on a youtube video where they used an internet browser on their Shield and somehow downloaded APK's there. Unfortunately, now I can't find that youtube video to see exactly what was used.

post #4010 of 4345 Old 04-21-2017, 06:24 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Quote:
What do you guys use to download APK's to your Shields? I don't really like having to boot up my PC to download to a USB stick, and then moving it to my Shield.

I saw someone on a youtube video where they used an internet browser on their Shield and somehow downloaded APK's there. Unfortunately, now I can't find that youtube video to see exactly what was used.
I use "X-Plore File Manager to install APKs.

If you have a Dropbox or a Google Drive account, create an APK Folder within one of these accounts and download your apks here.

With X-Plore File Manager, connect to one of these accounts to gain access to your Cloud APK Folder. Once connected, you can now browse to whatever apk you want to install.

This comes in handy when you are reinstalling the OS of the Shield, and saves time from having to search for these files all over thew web.
Sweetmeat likes this.
post #4011 of 4345 Old 04-21-2017, 07:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Are other "Shield+HDHR Prime" owners having problems with Live TV these days?

This combo served me well for well over a year, but right now, basically nothing works reliably:
HDHR Grey (BETA) DVR app
HDHR Green (old) app
Android Live TV app

They all freeze/crash. I have been suffering with this within the Grey app for months now, thinking this had to do with something SD had done. But based on some things I'm seeing on the SD boards, and now experimenting with those othertwo apps, which had always worked pretty well for me in the past and seeing that none of them work well right now, maybe this is an issue with Android (possibly Nougat related?)?
post #4012 of 4345 Old 04-21-2017, 07:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 740 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Quote:
Is there anyone using a Shield that has the BTN2GO app? It's not in the App Store, but I'm hoping I could find an APK to sideload it.

You can get the APK from APK downloader:

https://apps.evozi.com/apk-downloader/

https://apps.evozi.com/apk-downloade...btn2go.android
Sweetmeat likes this.
post #4013 of 4345 Old 04-21-2017, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by psuKinger View Post

This combo served me well for well over a year, but right now, basically nothing works reliably:
HDHR Grey (BETA) DVR app
HDHR Green (old) app
Android Live TV app

They all freeze/crash. I have been suffering with this within the Grey app for months now, thinking this had to do with something SD had done. But based on some things I'm seeing on the SD boards, and now experimenting with those othertwo apps, which had always worked pretty well for me in the past and seeing that none of them work well right now, maybe this is an issue with Android (possibly Nougat related?)?
Have you performed a full reinstall of Android TV on the Shield to see if this resolved your issues?

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Sony XBR55X900E
Marantz SR7010/Marantz MM7025
Oppo UDP-203 - Nvidia Shield
Klipsch RP-260f - RP-440C - RP140sa- RP-160m - RB10 - Sony SA-WM500
post #4014 of 4345 Old 04-21-2017, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psuKinger View Post

HDHR Grey (BETA) DVR app
HDHR Green (old) app
Android Live TV app

From SiliconDust:
There is a known bug in the Nvidia Shield handling of MPEG2 errors which we have reported to Nvidia and we understand will be fixed in a planned update.
post #4015 of 4345 Old 04-21-2017, 07:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 146
I use Live Channels on the Shield with the Prime. It has been rock solid for me since the last major update. I don't have Live Channels dvr configured. Comcast.
post #4016 of 4345 Old 04-24-2017, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
This relates to HDMI-CEC. My Shield turns on my receiver (Denon X4000) but does not turn on my TV (Samsung 75J630D). HDMI-CEC is turned on in the TV settings. Any ideas?
post #4017 of 4345 Old 04-25-2017, 06:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I can think of a couple of things. My Samsung calls their HDMI-CEC "Anylink" and it's not 100% compatible with all devices. It also could be that your receiver isn't letting HDMI-CEC pass to the TV. I know when I set up the Samsung in our guest room, it did not work exactly right. When you hit the "OK" button on the TV's remote, it sends two OK signals to the Shield. I know you are trying to go the other way around, but this is just one example of Samsung's Anylink not being 100% compatible.
post #4018 of 4345 Old 04-25-2017, 07:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked: 576
Has Nvidia ever promised youtube hdr support? It would be great to have one box outside of Roku that supports all hdr apps

DocACE911 on Steam, XBOX, PS4
"Kill Cancer or Die"
Custom Z9 Game Settings For SDR and HDR
Sony 75" Z9, Denon X4200, Definitive Technologies BP7002 + 9.1 ATMOS, PSV 18" sub
Loving Wife and 4 year old Son who tolerate this expense!
post #4019 of 4345 Old 04-25-2017, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjchmura View Post
Has Nvidia ever promised youtube hdr support? It would be great to have one box outside of Roku that supports all hdr apps

I don't have the source handy but I recall reading that Nvidia said a YouTube hdr update was coming later. That was in the context of the new shield release and big software update earlier this year.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
post #4020 of 4345 Old 04-26-2017, 08:59 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
This icon is coming from EsFile app , is easy to get rid , in EsFile go to settings -General- and click on disable widget ballon
beerhunt and Sweetmeat like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page