*Official* Nvidia Shield Console - HTPC discussion - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 647Likes

post #31 of 4346 Old 03-10-2015, 01:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by staknhalo View Post
It also could be because you're going from the tuner>HTPC>device; instead of tuner>device. The HTPC being in the chain could be acting as a buffer of sorts. And then like you said, you also have Kodi/the HTPC caching (so it def is, just possibly more so).

I was specifically talking about using the HDHomerun app on the Fire TV or Nexus Player (well, I use the Live TV app on the ADT-1 actually). If you install the HDHomerun app on the Nexus Player, the native Live TV app will then show up. I recommend that for interface/usage over the actual HDHomerun app on Android TV.

When you got some free time, try that. Even if you don't use it day to day over Kodi, it's good to know what options you have/don't have, what works/doesn't.

Of course, this is all assuming you have a SD tuner; if not, you can only do it the way you currently are.
I have the hdhomerun dual. I thought the view app by SD only supported the prime.

I could easily see why this would be a problem going straight to the device, and honestly I wonder if the problem is poor write performance of the internal ROM. Google has been providing pretty embarrassingly poor ROM storage that the android platform generally makes up for and it rarely bears it's ugly head as a bottleneck . . . just a conjecture

Also, I'm going from my tuner->server->client it just happens that my server runs w8.1 w/ wmc. ServerWMC dumps the live TV buffer to .ts and when the nexus is playing live TV the only thing the server does is negotiate the tuner and provide the live TV buffer. The cache settings I listed were modifications I had to make to the kodi install on my nexus. I don't have kodi installed on the server

I owned an adt-1 with kodi running on it for a short while. It doesn't do vc1 until someone changes something. I also tried in mxplayer. It plays the video but pauses every 3or4 seconds

Also, one of the biggest things about the shield as an htpc that is surprising me is pass through HD audio in android. According to people familiar with the matter, I heard it wasnt even a possibility for android 5 . . . maybe next release. Then nvidia says it's coming

Also while the old shield tablet and tegra4 devices (and the Nexus Player) are all getting less than 10ms input with limelight I have a feeling nvidia is going to do even better with the console. Just a guess, but it seems like something they'd want to optimize if they want people to seriously consider game stream or grid. Hoping 1-2ms becomes a reality

Another fun thing I'd like and will buy it for is the headphone jack on the game pad and remote control. Audio through your remote like on roku

Last edited by Dark_Slayer; 03-10-2015 at 01:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 4346 Old 03-10-2015, 01:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post
I have the hdhomerun dual. I thought the view app by SD only supported the prime.
Nah, I have a gen 4 Dual (and Prime) and it works with both (I use it with the Dual only and leave the Prime dedicated to only WMC recording). Also, I know it works with the Extend.

If you have an earlier gen dual, I would say just give it a shot - it's not gonna hurt anything (as long as all your tuners aren't in use; it won't de-list the tuner from WMC or anything). You just need to install it from the web Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....mg.upnp&hl=en

If it doesn't work, they say they are working on more device compatibility.

EDIT: Ah, in the description: • Nexus Player requires HDTC model

I guess they added that with all the complaints of non-Extend model users. Or, people just disregard, try it anyway, then complain when it doesn't work. Either wouldn't surprise me

Last edited by staknhalo; 03-10-2015 at 01:46 AM.
post #33 of 4346 Old 03-11-2015, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I'll give that a shot.

Since you are using an adt1, have you had any problems with cast. Earlier on cast didn't have screen mirroring from the chromecast apk but after they updated and separated the apk I've not had any problems

post #34 of 4346 Old 03-11-2015, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post
I'll give that a shot.

Since you are using an adt1, have you had any problems with cast. Earlier on cast didn't have screen mirroring from the chromecast apk but after they updated and separated the apk I've not had any problems
Yeah, I don't use screen cast much on the ADT-1; only for a music service app (radio.com) that doesn't have built in cast support yet. Works fine when I use it though.
post #35 of 4346 Old 03-13-2015, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

@staknhalo does the HDHomerun View already support copy-once cable with the Prime? They don't seem to have any restrictions spelled out on the play store page
post #36 of 4346 Old 03-13-2015, 01:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yes, the HDHomerun View app will work with copy-once content.

I believe the Android OS 'Live TV' app still doesn't though. Only copy-freely for that one.

Last edited by staknhalo; 03-13-2015 at 02:04 PM.
post #37 of 4346 Old 03-14-2015, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes, the HDHomerun View app will work with copy-once content.

I believe the Android OS 'Live TV' app still doesn't though. Only copy-freely for that one.
Well, that's fantastic news. Heck, you can even roundabout your way to the view app from within Kodi as long as the skin has "Android apps" support in programs

All that remains to be seen is what the X1 can do with 1080i MPEG2
post #38 of 4346 Old 03-14-2015, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Info on if it does support Mpeg 2 are all over the place, also. I'm hearing it does natively support it, it doesn't support it, yadda yadda. So, there is hope I guess. Just have to wait and see.

It won't replace my ADT-1 (just ordered an IR receiver that is supposed to work with Android OS and Harmony remotes), but it will be about $100 cheaper than buying a new ADT-1 (if it supports Mpeg2) off ebay if I decide to roll out Android TV throughout my house.

Edit: Scratch that, ADT-1s are now going for $200 and under, so unless you need the on device or subscription game features, I'm still gonna have to suggest anyone (and me if I buy more) go with the ADT-1 over the SHIELD (at least, while ADT-1s are still available on ebay).

Double edit: For the under $200 part, above. ^ IF the SHIELD does Mpeg 2, at $200, I'd rather get a NIB SHIELD than an ADT-1 off Ebay.

Last edited by staknhalo; 03-14-2015 at 10:21 AM.
post #39 of 4346 Old 03-14-2015, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Yeah I'd recommend the shield NIB and try to sell the controller for $30-40 secondhand. That would bring the price down and I don't see the adt-1 less than $150 these days

It's all speculation until we really know what and how it handles different video and HD audio

It's fun speculation though. It's like when igpus where just stating to handle blu ray and HD audio
post #40 of 4346 Old 03-14-2015, 09:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yeah, plus we're talking about literally less than a handful of first wave devices. Who knows how many/what devices we'll have in a year or so. Definitely a fun area to be focusing on. Not like I got anything to pay attention to (even if I wanted to) in WMC land, lol.
post #41 of 4346 Old 03-16-2015, 10:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 650 Post(s)
Liked: 432
This is kind of exciting. When I heard NVidia was releasing a PC I just assumed it would be an Alienware X51 competitor, not someting ARM based.

I think ARM is the future of HTPC. As cable companies and content makers adapt to the fact that people don't want linear programming it will be devices like this that fill the niche.
Dark_Slayer likes this.

My basement media room and bar
Epson 2030, Onkyo TX-NR626, and Kodi based system

Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #42 of 4346 Old 03-16-2015, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I agree, and not just arm but android. That's really the icing for me, because between the RPI knockoffs and pivos knockoffs there are actually quite a few decent performing arm boxes for kodi but they perform well in Linux with a lot of limitations in android.

This is the first big (reliable) company I know of to release an android box running arm that supports HD audio, Google cast, and all things android. Then they threw the headphone jack on the controller

It's honestly like someone at nvidia asked "what is everything dark_slayer wants in an htpc?"
Just have to see if everything can be picked up in kodi and that the fabled mpeg2 deinterlace doesn't cause trouble

Edit: one of the things I liked about the adt1 was how the controller looked. I like the ps3 stick layout on a more 360 style body. Then it looks like they did the d pad right (like the ps3) but when I used it was so clicky. Really not a nice feature of a d pad I hope that the shield controller gets the d pad right, because it looks like they more or less copied the Asus ADT/nexus game pad and added the headphone option

Last edited by Dark_Slayer; 03-16-2015 at 11:44 AM.
post #43 of 4346 Old 03-16-2015, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 650 Post(s)
Liked: 432
The difference with Android is that the cable companies and content makers are actually interested in supporting it. Its no secret they hate cablecards and only support them because they have to.

But they're voluntarily releasing apps for Android, Xbox, iOS, etc on down the line. So while I'd rather they didn't have control over the content, at least they're on board with the idea.

My basement media room and bar
Epson 2030, Onkyo TX-NR626, and Kodi based system

Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #44 of 4346 Old 03-16-2015, 01:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I don't like the ADT-1/Nexus Player controller (one and the same) just cause they feel/are so cheaply made. I could adjust to the layout (even though I prefer Xbox layout) if it weren't for that. Hopefully when the Xbox One wireless adapter for PC comes out, it works OOB just like the 360 adapter.
post #45 of 4346 Old 03-16-2015, 09:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Regarding recording protected cablecard content, there is no need for cable labs certification unless the device actually has a cable card slot but whoever does this will need to license PlayReady + DTCP-IP if they want to offer recording capability (see my post regarding this):

CableCARD vs "copy once" -- why only WMC?

DTCP-IP:
$14,000 annual maintenance fee

PlayReady for Android:
  • $50,000 one-time license fee, due upon agreement execution
  • $25,000 annual maintenance fee, due upon each anniversary of the agreement effective date

If you have the ability to attach storage devices to the USB (or configure a NAS to the device) you could use the device as your recording server, otherwise you would need a PC "server" to do the recording and use the Android TV device(s) as clients. This would mean that you also need a second PlayReady license and (I believe) a second DTCP-IP license:

PlayReady for PC application:
  • $5,000 license fee
  • $10,000 certificate fee for each major release of a licensed product.

So DRM licensing fees can run:
  • $14K annually for just Live TV
  • $50K upfront + $39K annually for recording on an Android TV device.
  • $55K up front and $49K annually for a PC server app with Android client apps (you could also have PC client apps with this licensing at no additional cost).

You would also need to pay licensing fees to MPEG-LA and Dolby for the decoders (you wouldn't be able to use open source decoders because of the protected path). If/when Silicondust did produce a transcoding Prime, you would need to license H.264 from the MPEG-LA in addition to (or instead of) MPEG-2 if selling over 100K units/yr and you would need to license AAC from Via.
netant and Dark_Slayer like this.
post #46 of 4346 Old 03-20-2015, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
90% percent sure Nvidia Shield device will include a MPEG2 HW decoder (as with the case of Shield tablet, ADT-1, etc)

Even if there is no MPGE2 hw decoder, InstaTV Pro works very well on Nexus Player with its SW MPEG2 decoding including 1080i HD, both as an independent app or as Android TV Live TV Input. Shield console should handle SW decoding without any problem.
post #47 of 4346 Old 04-14-2015, 05:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

MythTV app no works on Android TV, DVR solutions are arriving

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/...hp?f=22&t=8707
post #48 of 4346 Old 04-15-2015, 07:19 AM

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Looks like Tablo might be a nice DVR alternative for the OTA only crowd now that it runs on Android TV. If you don't mind the upfront costs, seems like it would give you an "it just works" alternative without having to mess with a DVR backend server. Combine this with Sling TV, and you would have a pretty nice cord cutting solution. Throw all of this together with Kodi and/or Emby on the forth coming Shield Console, and you could potentially have a pretty nice set up.
post #49 of 4346 Old 04-25-2015, 07:46 AM

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Apparently they have officially changed the name of it from Shield Console to Shield Android TV. Anyone heard of an official launch date yet other than sometime in May?
post #50 of 4346 Old 04-28-2015, 06:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked: 113
It looks like from the standpoint of what it would natively play and not need transcoding for, this Shield unit wins out over the forthcoming ForgeTV. Does anyone know if it supports the same local multiplayer / multi controllers for Android games that the Forge touts here?

http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-systems/razer-forge-tv

EDIT - nevermind, I found that Shield does support the same local multiplayer / multicontroller feature.

Last edited by hifiaudio2; 04-28-2015 at 07:32 AM.
post #51 of 4346 Old 04-29-2015, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futrader8 View Post
Anyone heard of an official launch date yet other than sometime in May?
I wish but no
post #52 of 4346 Old 04-30-2015, 06:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Do the current Android TV boxes correctly recognize and playback 23.976 video? Any reason to expect the Shield to play it correctly or incorrectly?
post #53 of 4346 Old 04-30-2015, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

post #54 of 4346 Old 04-30-2015, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiaudio2 View Post
Do the current Android TV boxes correctly recognize and playback 23.976 video? Any reason to expect the Shield to play it correctly or incorrectly?
Android TV? No

Android? Kind of

Amlogic and Rockchip have some ability to support 24.000 as well as 30 and 60. Android L has some potential for api controlled refresh rate (auto adjust)

SPMC with amlogic and AMCodec may get there, but I haven't tested it myself yet

wrxtasy said that the Odroid-C1 (running Android) can do perfect 23.976 as well http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?...274#pid1990274

Android doesn't appear to have any hard block against the ability, but it's just a less mature video playback platform so far. I have no reason to think Nvidia can't achieve this
post #55 of 4346 Old 05-01-2015, 06:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Cool - good to know. I think it would be a dealbreaker for this unit becoming my go to media playback device for my tvs and my theater if proper support for this is not implemented, so I sure hope they get it working!

Given that this device signifies that they want to be a true media hub for the family, not just a gaming company, surely they will put this on the front burner. Or maybe they already have it working and we will find out when it ships...
post #56 of 4346 Old 05-02-2015, 08:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Liked: 271
I've been giving serious thought to buying this over the past 24 hours as I just picked up a bunch of Android game titles for free, including KOTOR, which dropped down in price to $3 or so. They were free for me because all my Google Play money came from the Google surveys that I fill out on my phone. Heh heh heh. I think it's media playback should be solid when paired with VLC, but it might take them a bit of time to optimize for the latest Tegra.
post #57 of 4346 Old 05-02-2015, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm hoping to be able to get the playback we want using the native player and Emby app.

By the way, what Google surveys? How is that done?
post #58 of 4346 Old 05-02-2015, 09:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiaudio2 View Post
By the way, what Google surveys? How is that done?
It's an Android app that gives you Google Play (Google's iTunes) credit for completing random surveys.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...aidtasks&hl=en

Last edited by staknhalo; 05-02-2015 at 11:18 AM.
post #59 of 4346 Old 05-02-2015, 02:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Quote:
It's an Android app that gives you Google Play (Google's iTunes) credit for completing random surveys.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...aidtasks&hl=en

Yup. That's the one. Got about $23 in less than a year for just filling out surveys based mostly on my location data. Most of the surveys were "Have you been to MMMMMM?" "If so, how recently and what method did you use to get there?". Easy money!
post #60 of 4346 Old 05-02-2015, 02:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
Yup. That's the one. Got about $23 in less than a year for just filling out surveys based mostly on my location data. Most of the surveys were "Have you been to MMMMMM?" "If so, how recently and what method did you use to get there?". Easy money!
Yeah, I've been using it since it was released in 2013(?), and have gotten probably close to $50 in credit if I had to guess. I spend it on app purchases and movie rentals all the time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page