*Official* Nvidia Shield Console - HTPC discussion - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 647Likes

post #61 of 4346 Old 05-04-2015, 05:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked: 451
Yeah, I've been using it since November 2013 and earned $27.25 though I hit $20+ by November 2014 and it slowed down considerably
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 4346 Old 05-04-2015, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post
Yeah, I've been using it since November 2013 and earned $27.25 though I hit $20+ by November 2014 and it slowed down considerably
Yeah, it slowed down considerably for a while in the middle (of lifetime of usage for me); but in the past 4-5 months I probably earned around half of my overall total ($25). It seems to have died down again, though. I suspect they roll 'waves' of surveys out to users; and are always moving that group of users (who receive a 'large amount') around.
post #63 of 4346 Old 05-04-2015, 11:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked: 113
I was hoping to hear about a formal release date today. A video from GDC 2015 referenced May 5th for a release.

post #64 of 4346 Old 05-04-2015, 11:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Today's the 4th.................

Edit: Oh, I misread. I thought you thought today was the 5th or something.

Last edited by staknhalo; 05-04-2015 at 11:59 AM.
post #65 of 4346 Old 05-04-2015, 01:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I signed up for email notifications on the Shield website several weeks ago hoping for a release announcement but haven't heard a peep out of them.
post #66 of 4346 Old 05-04-2015, 03:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 25
It sounds like the hardware should be able to handle it, but I see no mention of full 3D video output (frame-packed)?
post #67 of 4346 Old 05-04-2015, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futrader8 View Post
I signed up for email notifications on the Shield website several weeks ago hoping for a release announcement but haven't heard a peep out of them.
Same here
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbaldwin View Post
It sounds like the hardware should be able to handle it, but I see no mention of full 3D video output (frame-packed)?
That's going to be tricky to answer specifically. If you are like me and don't particularly care what they support in their native player as long as it works in kodi then there is still a chance even if it doesn't come to the native player as long as the x1 gets an MVC decoder. At the same time, unique things like HD audio and frame rate adjustment will rely on nvidias native player features being ported over

An MVC decoder is still an oddity today with only a couple devices having it and only one that can run kodi AFAIK. Would really love to see that x1 white paper though
post #68 of 4346 Old 05-04-2015, 06:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1032 Post(s)
Liked: 691
Well, since this thread started, my opinion on the Shield Console has gone from "novelty" to "likely the centerpiece of my entertainment ecosystem"

I'm curious about DTS support. Honestly it isn't a deal breaker for me as my main viewing TV is only a 5.1 setup and surround sound is nice for me, but not anything that I really miss when I don't have it. I know it says it supports HD audio but looking at the nvidia site all I could find was references to Dolby TrueHD. DTS/DTS-HD seemed to be conspicuously absent.

Aside from that, this thing might be the perfect device for me if there ends up being a protected content solution that works on it.

I'm starting to get excited about the next generation of HT stuff.

Of course I've spent the last several days stripping and re-finishing an old (new to me) entertainment center, so perhaps it's just the fumes getting to me.
staknhalo likes this.

RAID protection is only for failed drives. That's it. It's no replacement for a proper backup.
post #69 of 4346 Old 05-04-2015, 07:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

"Good....good. Let the hype flow through you."

- Emperor Palpatine, 2015
post #70 of 4346 Old 05-05-2015, 05:12 AM

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.
post #71 of 4346 Old 05-05-2015, 06:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhieb View Post
Well, since this thread started, my opinion on the Shield Console has gone from "novelty" to "likely the centerpiece of my entertainment ecosystem"

I'm curious about DTS support. Honestly it isn't a deal breaker for me as my main viewing TV is only a 5.1 setup and surround sound is nice for me, but not anything that I really miss when I don't have it. I know it says it supports HD audio but looking at the nvidia site all I could find was references to Dolby TrueHD. DTS/DTS-HD seemed to be conspicuously absent.

Aside from that, this thing might be the perfect device for me if there ends up being a protected content solution that works on it.

I'm starting to get excited about the next generation of HT stuff.

Of course I've spent the last several days stripping and re-finishing an old (new to me) entertainment center, so perhaps it's just the fumes getting to me.
I am wondering if the references to Dolby mean that it can decode Dolby, but can passthrough any HD audio. That would be perfect for me.
post #72 of 4346 Old 05-05-2015, 08:33 AM

The Razer Forge Tv debuts today. Hopefully some reviews will start trickling in over the next several days. If the reviews are decent, I'm considering using these for my bedroom tvs and the Shield as my main HTPC (if it turns out to be as advertised).
post #73 of 4346 Old 05-06-2015, 07:02 AM

Nvidia Twitter feed is saying this morning that Shield TV is coming this month and says that we won't have to wait much longer, but still doesn't offer up a firm date.

They are also confirming this on their Android TV sub Reddit.

http://www.reddit.com/r/AndroidTV/
ajhieb and staknhalo like this.

Last edited by Futrader8; 05-06-2015 at 07:33 AM.
post #74 of 4346 Old 05-06-2015, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I asked on the Twitter feed... right now they wont say if VC1 or Mpeg2 will be supported. At this time I guess they are not.
post #75 of 4346 Old 05-06-2015, 11:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiaudio2 View Post
I asked on the Twitter feed... right now they wont say if VC1 or Mpeg2 will be supported. At this time I guess they are not.
I doubt the PR person handling their twitter feed has that info. It wasn't listed on the spec sheet for it; and that's probably all they have in front of them.

We have to wait for hands on reviews of both the Shield, and the ForgeTV to see if any/either have HW Mpeg2 decode; unless/until we get definitive confirmation it does/doesn't.
Dark_Slayer likes this.
post #76 of 4346 Old 05-06-2015, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Good point. Since they are engaging me, I will keep up the discussion. Perhaps they will find an engineer who can answer more definitively. They just suggested Kodi to me.
post #77 of 4346 Old 05-06-2015, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 650 Post(s)
Liked: 432
My gut tells me that if it supported MPEG2 then it would be listed.

Google TV, as a platform, supported tons of stuff like MPEG2 and DTS, but that was up to manufacturers to implement (and most of them chose not to). Is this apparently going to be the same problem with Android TV?

My basement media room and bar
Epson 2030, Onkyo TX-NR626, and Kodi based system

Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #78 of 4346 Old 05-06-2015, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 View Post
My gut tells me that if it supported MPEG2 then it would be listed.

Google TV, as a platform, supported tons of stuff like MPEG2 and DTS, but that was up to manufacturers to implement (and most of them chose not to). Is this apparently going to be the same problem with Android TV?
Yeah, its up to the manufacture who is building/selling the device to licence. Nothing to do with Google.
post #79 of 4346 Old 05-06-2015, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staknhalo View Post
I doubt the PR person handling their twitter feed has that info. It wasn't listed on the spec sheet for it; and that's probably all they have in front of them.
Yep. In reading that Twitter thread, it definitely sounds like a PR person reading off a spec sheet, nothing more. I wouldn't read too much into that right now. All we can do is wait.
post #80 of 4346 Old 05-06-2015, 11:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The only thing that is indicative it WILL have MPEG 2 - is the rest of their Android SHIELD products do as well; from what I understand. That's what has caused me to put my money on the - "it might/probably does; but still not confirmed" table
post #81 of 4346 Old 05-07-2015, 08:37 AM

There is the possibility that there will be no Netflix on the Shield TV (at least when it launches). I noticed it strangely odd weeks ago that the Netflix logo was absent from the list of apps available on the Shield TV website, but didn't think much about it. Hell, everyone has the Netflix app, right? I noticed the same thing on the Razer Forge TV website as well. Razer has confirmed on its Forge TV FAQs that Netflix in currently unavailable on the Forge TV at this time.

http://www.razersupport.com/gaming-s...azer-forge-tv/

Could the same be true for the Shield TV? WTF? Obviously, there is a workaround by casting it from your phone or tablet with Googlecast, but that defeats half the purpose of the Shield having everything under one roof. If this holds true with no Netflix on Shield TV, this is a definite deal breaker for me.

With the Android TV app selection as thin as it is already, taking away Netflix will cause the Shield TV and Razer Forge TV to crash and burn before they even have a chance to get off the deck.
post #82 of 4346 Old 05-07-2015, 09:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1717 Post(s)
Liked: 539
Is Amazon Prime listed? Amazon has a habit of not releasing players for anything other than iOS, XBOX, PS, and their own hardware.
post #83 of 4346 Old 05-07-2015, 09:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futrader8 View Post
There is the possibility that there will be no Netflix on the Shield TV (at least when it launches). I noticed it strangely odd weeks ago that the Netflix logo was absent from the list of apps available on the Shield TV website, but didn't think much about it. Hell, everyone has the Netflix app, right? I noticed the same thing on the Razer Forge TV website as well. Razer has confirmed on its Forge TV FAQs that Netflix in currently unavailable on the Forge TV at this time.

http://www.razersupport.com/gaming-s...azer-forge-tv/

Could the same be true for the Shield TV? WTF? Obviously, there is a workaround by casting it from your phone or tablet with Googlecast, but that defeats half the purpose of the Shield having everything under one roof. If this holds true with no Netflix on Shield TV, this is a definite deal breaker for me.

With the Android TV app selection as thin as it is already, taking away Netflix will cause the Shield TV and Razer Forge TV to crash and burn before they even have a chance to get off the deck.
Here is the Play Store link for the Android TV version of Netflix:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....netflix.ninja

If you can't install it from there to the Forge/Shield (when you get it), you can try manually installing/sideloading it from the .apk provided here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexu...-apks-t2976537

If it still won't work - you will have to wait for the app to be updated by Netflix (it's their fault, and theirs alone) and install it via my provided Play Stoe link; or just via the Android TV Play Store if it shows up there.

For the ADT-1 and (I'm assuming) Nexus Player - the Netflix .apk is included in the OS itself, and then just updates via the Play Store like any other app/.apk.
post #84 of 4346 Old 05-07-2015, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staknhalo View Post
Here is the Play Store link for the Android TV version of Netflix:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....netflix.ninja

If you can't install it from there to the Forge/Shield (when you get it), you can try manually installing/sideloading it from the .apk provided here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexu...-apks-t2976537

If it still won't work - you will have to wait for the app to be updated by Netflix (it's their fault, and theirs alone) and install it via my provided Play Stoe link; or just via the Android TV Play Store if it shows up there.

For the ADT-1 and (I'm assuming) Nexus Player - the Netflix .apk is included in the OS itself, and then just updates via the Play Store like any other app/.apk.
Ah, ok. Good to know. So I guess the reason that Forge TV says that it is unsupported is that they are waiting on an update from Netflix?

Last edited by Futrader8; 05-07-2015 at 09:35 AM.
post #85 of 4346 Old 05-07-2015, 09:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Correct; and they assume people are gonna get their boxes before Netflix issues an update.
post #86 of 4346 Old 05-08-2015, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

A user in one of my G+ groups reports that the Razor Forge Android TV unit does have native MPEG2 decode support/codecs after running a diagnostic app on the device:

Quote:
I do see an OMX.qcom.video.decoder.mpeg2
So we got this device to fall back on if the SHIELD doesn't have it.

I still prefer the Shield for the OOB IR port (instead of using a small Chinese brand IR receiver, like I currently do with my ADT-1 - RC6 IR receivers don't work/aren't supported by the OS) and OOB support for streaming PC games (instead of using the Moonlight app; which works wonderfully. The Forge has this too, but not sure if it makes use of Nvidia HW technologies to do so like the SHIELD and Moonlight app do). But, I am very relieved to have a fallback device (seeing as my ADT-1 won't receive anymore OS updates).

But, if you don't care about that - the Forge is only $99, $100 cheaper than the SHIELD!

Last edited by staknhalo; 05-08-2015 at 12:13 PM.
post #87 of 4346 Old 05-08-2015, 12:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

NIce. Can he / did he check for codec support for vc1, h.264 and also DTS / Dolby HD audio passthrough?
post #88 of 4346 Old 05-08-2015, 12:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Every Android TV device has h.264 support; it's (the decoder) is part of the OS itself. It is only Baseline Profile (supported OOB by the base OS) though, from this link apparently:

http://developer.android.com/guide/a...a-formats.html

Support for higher levels will require their own MPEG4 decoder - but for up to what level(s) it supports, you'd have to ask them (Razor). All he can tell me is if an additional/their own MPEG4 decoder is included.

I can have ask(ed) him about the others. Hopefully he gets back to me. If not, some other guy just got the device as well that I can ask.

Last edited by staknhalo; 05-08-2015 at 12:44 PM.
post #89 of 4346 Old 05-08-2015, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiaudio2 View Post
NIce. Can he / did he check for codec support for vc1, h.264 and also DTS / Dolby HD audio passthrough?
Here is a link to a video of an early review. He says that Kodi is difficult (but possible) to sideload and that he cannot get anything other than stereo sound to pass through (on kodi). It appears that he has the audio settings set correctly in Kodi for multi channel pass through, but says that only stereo is coming out of his receiver.

post #90 of 4346 Old 05-08-2015, 12:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post
Is Amazon Prime listed? Amazon has a habit of not releasing players for anything other than iOS, XBOX, PS, and their own hardware.
There is no Prime app for Android TV (any device) ATM. You'll have to request Amazon to come out with one.

Last edited by staknhalo; 05-08-2015 at 01:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page