An experiment with unexpected results! - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-27-2015, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Question An experiment with unexpected results!

I frequently use DVDFab to archive my DVDs for storage and everyday viewing. I normally rip my DVDs to a standard hard drive, then convert the movie to AVI format. I use the same physical drive for both source and destination.

Today I ripped and converted a DVD as usual, but I used my SSD drive for both source and destination -- took 92 minutes. I copied the same rip to my standard hard drive and ran the same conversion process -- took 83 minutes. The computer wasn't doing anything else both times.

I was surprised that using the SSD actually took 9 minutes longer! I use standard 4k clusters on the SSD, but 64k clusters on the HD. Everything else about both conversions was identical.

Could the time difference have to do with the cluster sizes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2015, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzDragonLord View Post
I frequently use DVDFab to archive my DVDs for storage and everyday viewing. I normally rip my DVDs to a standard hard drive, then convert the movie to AVI format. I use the same physical drive for both source and destination.

Today I ripped and converted a DVD as usual, but I used my SSD drive for both source and destination -- took 92 minutes. I copied the same rip to my standard hard drive and ran the same conversion process -- took 83 minutes. The computer wasn't doing anything else both times.

I was surprised that using the SSD actually took 9 minutes longer! I use standard 4k clusters on the SSD, but 64k clusters on the HD. Everything else about both conversions was identical.

Unlikely. Cluster sizes impact the use of the available space on a disk; i.e., The smallest allocation unit on the disk == cluster size. A bunch files with sizes < cluster size will result in inefficient disk utilization. There's some overhead associated with cluster tracking too.

My guess is that the SSD controller (on the disk) doesn't perform well with sustained simultaneous read/writes.

FS: Onix Rocket 750, RSC200, RSS300; 5.0 system; PM for details
Old 03-27-2015, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Not all SSDs have that great of sustained write performance to begin with, though they should edge out any consumer non-hybrid HDD at one-for-one write tests every time (with nothing else running). Which one are you using

Simultaneous read/write can cripple a large variety of HDDs as well, you must have a non-green HDD
Old 03-27-2015, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have a Recertified Corsair Force Series GS
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820233395

...and an old Seagate Barracuda
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822148231

Not pretty, but they get the job done.
Old 03-28-2015, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzDragonLord View Post

Your SATA controller could be the crippling factor.

Looky here!