WMC 7 power & sleep question - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-09-2015, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
WMC 7 power & sleep question

Hi folks,

I didn't want to bump older threads on this subject as it's typically frowned upon, so I thought it was best to create a new one.

I run a windows 7 HTPC that uses WMC 7 to record and watch live tv using a ceton infiniTV tuner.

I've been having problems with my system where the MCE standby tool was causing my PC to crash if it didn't properly wake it up from a sleep. It'd hang the PC up and the only way to remedy the problem was to physically reboot the system. On top of that, every now and then when I'd wake up the computer using my remote, I'd lose sound, so I would have to restart WMC to be able to watch any recorded shows or live TV.

I recently made some power/sleep changes after doing some google searches and reaching out to Ceton. I removed the MCE standby tool and changed the system so it went into away mode rather than sleep. This seems to be fine, though it keeps my fans and such spinning.

Is this the preferred method to help save on power costs while maintaining properly functionality with the recording and playback of the tv tuner?

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2015, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 60
U know my W7 machine sleeps/wakeups just fine wo assistance from MCE standby but am using an Hauppauge. I would google for any issues with ACPI S3 and Ceton. I would test my sleep/standby wo the Ceton card and see if it's involved. I would make sure am going to sleep with S3 and not S4. You can tell you are on S4 when at wakeup, your Boot drive goes crazy for a little while. Not all components play nice with S4 but should with S3. When the fans are on, that means it's merely snoozing on S1 and S1 is not really efficient, but if you got no choice and can't S3 to work, I guess better than 24x7 on.
Old 04-09-2015, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobb View Post
U know my W7 machine sleeps/wakeups just fine wo assistance from MCE standby but am using an Hauppauge. I would google for any issues with ACPI S3 and Ceton. I would test my sleep/standby wo the Ceton card and see if it's involved. I would make sure am going to sleep with S3 and not S4. You can tell you are on S4 when at wakeup, your Boot drive goes crazy for a little while. Not all components play nice with S4 but should with S3. When the fans are on, that means it's merely snoozing on S1 and S1 is not really efficient, but if you got no choice and can't S3 to work, I guess better than 24x7 on.
thanks for the reply.

is S3 an actual option in the windows default power management tool? or is S3 a combination of a few things?
Old 04-09-2015, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewjs18 View Post
thanks for the reply.

is S3 an actual option in the windows default power management tool? or is S3 a combination of a few things?

I don't have W7 in front of me, but I believe on the Power Panel there is an option to enable or disable hibernation, this is S4 and in my opinion, don't use it.

The various sleep states sometimes show up on your BIOS, it would also say enable hibernation (S4) or Enable Sleep (S1/S3) - S3 best.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewjs18 View Post
On top of that, every now and then when I'd wake up the computer using my remote, I'd lose sound, so I would have to restart WMC to be able to watch any recorded shows or live TV.!
I know it doesn't help you but when I was using WMC I found Windows 8.x to be much more friendly with HDMI and sleep. Even with the same hardware it would work nicely where Windows 7 woudn't.
Old 04-09-2015, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
I know it doesn't help you but when I was using WMC I found Windows 8.x to be much more friendly with HDMI and sleep. Even with the same hardware it would work nicely where Windows 7 woudn't.

Never tried Win8, I picked WMC7 because that's what Assassin recommends for tried&true and I figured they would had worked out all the bugs by now vs relatively new Win8. But YMMV.
Old 04-09-2015, 11:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobb View Post
I don't have W7 in front of me, but I believe on the Power Panel there is an option to enable or disable hibernation, this is S4 and in my opinion, don't use it.

The various sleep states sometimes show up on your BIOS, it would also say enable hibernation (S4) or Enable Sleep (S1/S3) - S3 best.
I'll check into that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
I'd never use windows 8 for a HTPC..my wife has it on her new laptop and it's HORRIBLE..I cannot wait until windows 10 is released and we get the free upgrade.
Old 04-10-2015, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Were you having issues with sleep before you installed MCE Standby tool?
Old 04-10-2015, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo90017 View Post
Were you having issues with sleep before you installed MCE Standby tool?
honestly, I cannot remember when MCE standby was initially installed. My HTPC is around 4-5 years old now. I know it's been installed for at least 3+ years.

I haven't had a ton of problems with the MCE tool other than it causing my PC to crash when it was trying to wake it up from sleep...you'd see like half the desktop background and then the MCE Standby Tool icon in the taskbar...that literally rendered the entire PC useless until you physically rebooted it. the downside to that is if I didn't catch it before recordings were scheduled to start, it'd miss all of them.

regarding my sound problems..I remember that I recently installed an audio codec update..I removed the codec pack and will continue to check on that issue to see if that helps resolve it. it was a strange issue: sometimes I'd have no sound whatsoever in WMC - not when going through the menus nor while playing a movie/tv show through WMC...then other times I would lose sound when going through the menu options in WMC, but not while watching a movie/tv show...strange.

I have the latest audio driver for my mobo available, too. checked on that a few nights ago.
Old 04-13-2015, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

ok, the audio codec I had installed has been uninstalled and removed for a few days now. I haven't had any issues with there not being sound when watching a recorded show and/or live tv, but I'm still having intermittent problems with there being no sounds when moving through the menu items and such within WMC. sometimes it works fine, other times it does not.

has anyone else had this problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement