post #61 of 238 Old 07-06-2015, 06:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrisman View Post
Believe me, I do know, as I've been feeling the same thing. I have a thread going here on intel's forums, as well as the ticket, if you want to add your two cents.

Ok... it won't let me post links as I just joined. I'll PM it to you.
Sounds good. I'll certainly join in the thread over there.
rcrisman likes this.

Vizio M801D-A3

JimK

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 238 Old 07-06-2015, 07:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrisman View Post
Believe me, I do know, as I've been feeling the same thing. I have a thread going here on intel's forums, as well as the ticket, if you want to add your two cents.

Ok... it won't let me post links as I just joined. I'll PM it to you.

If you're interested, here's the thread I have at the Intel Graphics Community forum.
https://communities.intel.com/thread/76605

Vizio M801D-A3

JimK

post #63 of 238 Old 07-06-2015, 07:27 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Ok, I will go comment on that.

post #64 of 238 Old 07-06-2015, 11:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 27
wow no idea what is going on with your builds but my haswell i5 plays nicely with 3d blu-ray isos. it took a while to figure out how to get powerdvd 15 to work (which was mostly an issue with me trying to figure out the powerdvd gui) but now it works fine. my tv auto switches to 3d when played back in powerdvd 15 and gives me 3d 1080p24. maybe you can exchange it for the haswell nuc if 3d is that important to you.
post #65 of 238 Old 07-07-2015, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ou8thisSN View Post
wow no idea what is going on with your builds but my haswell i5 plays nicely with 3d blu-ray isos. it took a while to figure out how to get powerdvd 15 to work (which was mostly an issue with me trying to figure out the powerdvd gui) but now it works fine. my tv auto switches to 3d when played back in powerdvd 15 and gives me 3d 1080p24. maybe you can exchange it for the haswell nuc if 3d is that important to you.
Good thought...if I had read anything indicating 3D issues with the Broadwell NUCs then I certainly would have reconsidered going with 5th generation. As it is, I want to try to push Intel support toward a real driver fix. We'll see what happens.

Vizio M801D-A3

JimK

post #66 of 238 Old 01-01-2016, 03:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Skylake NUCs are now shipping/in-stock at various online retailers like NewEgg. Prices are very nice.
post #67 of 238 Old 01-02-2016, 08:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
Skylake NUCs are now shipping/in-stock at various online retailers like NewEgg. Prices are very nice.
Thx. I've already tried and returned a NUC6i3SYK (from Macmall). It booted twice, and thats all she wrote. After that, the fan and lights would run, but no activity. Being the fool I am, I preordered a NUC6i5SYK as a final attempt before moving on.

Vizio M801D-A3

JimK

post #68 of 238 Old 01-17-2016, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by --Sclaws View Post
Thx. I've already tried and returned a NUC6i3SYK (from Macmall). It booted twice, and thats all she wrote. After that, the fan and lights would run, but no activity. Being the fool I am, I preordered a NUC6i5SYK as a final attempt before moving on.
I too experienced that with the latest-gen NUC I just bought. Intel was no help in fixing it, but I managed to get it working again. Apparently the UEFI BIOS or Intel's VBIOS software is pretty wonky and that seems to be causing a lot of the problems. If I went in and changed settings, sometimes it would work, but other times it would break the unit, so I had to reset everything after trying to rebuild the BIOS.
post #69 of 238 Old 01-18-2016, 10:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
I too experienced that with the latest-gen NUC I just bought. Intel was no help in fixing it, but I managed to get it working again. Apparently the UEFI BIOS or Intel's VBIOS software is pretty wonky and that seems to be causing a lot of the problems. If I went in and changed settings, sometimes it would work, but other times it would break the unit, so I had to reset everything after trying to rebuild the BIOS.
Hi, Lex. I'm almost certain that our new computer will be a NUC and it has to be a 4K-loving system. What's the very latest information on when a Kaby Lake NUC might first appear?

Thanks.
post #70 of 238 Old 01-18-2016, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 44
If you're going to be running Win7 or 8.1, consider Microsoft's new support policy.

http://www.computerworld.com/article...re-itbwcw.html
post #71 of 238 Old 01-18-2016, 12:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herve View Post
Hi, Lex. I'm almost certain that our new computer will be a NUC and it has to be a 4K-loving system. What's the very latest information on when a Kaby Lake NUC might first appear?

Thanks.
I have no firm information about the release schedule of Kaby Lake NUCs, but if the roll-out follows in the same steps as Skylake did, manufacturing will begin in Fall and units will be in distribution/retail channels by January 2017 while the Kaby Lake laptop and desktop CPUs hit several months earlier. Just FYI, my Skylake NUC was manufactured in November of last year and Skylake NUCs became available the first week of January, so I base it on that. However, I have been reading that next-gen chips from AMD are supposed to be in stores for the Back-To-School/Off-To-College sales in the Summer, so Intel may roll Kaby Lake out earlier than the Holiday sales, which could mean a Fall debut for NUCs, unless Intel makes them a priority to get them out for sales to students, which would be a very sensible thing to do. I've also read that AMD is rolling out something in March, but that could simply be the new Polaris GPUs - and that makes sense - instead of Zen, which may hit in the Summer or Fall, depending on what you choose to believe.
post #72 of 238 Old 01-18-2016, 01:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have no firm information about the release schedule of Kaby Lake NUCs, but if the roll-out follows in the same steps as Skylake did, manufacturing will begin in Fall and units will be in distribution/retail channels by January 2017 while the Kaby Lake laptop and desktop CPUs hit several months earlier. Just FYI, my Skylake NUC was manufactured in November of last year and Skylake NUCs became available the first week of January, so I base it on that. However, I have been reading that next-gen chips from AMD are supposed to be in stores for the Back-To-School/Off-To-College sales in the Summer, so Intel may roll Kaby Lake out earlier than the Holiday sales, which could mean a Fall debut for NUCs, unless Intel makes them a priority to get them out for sales to students, which would be a very sensible thing to do. I've also read that AMD is rolling out something in March, but that could simply be the new Polaris GPUs - and that makes sense - instead of Zen, which may hit in the Summer or Fall, depending on what you choose to believe.
Thanks!

Too bad that NUCs are delayed in that pattern. You'd think that since Intel itself makes those chips, it would install them in their NUC ASAP, even before Dell, etc., to get a jump on the competition. Regardless, I think such an incredibly small package is well worth waiting for.

BTW, I'll be running Win 10.
post #73 of 238 Old 01-19-2016, 07:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

To anyone buying a NUC, the one thing you absolutely must do before-hand is download all the Intel drivers for your NUC from the Intel Support website. Just copy them to a USB/SD card and then copy them to the Desktop, so you can install them immediately after booting into Windows. Windows 10 doesn't recognize any of the hardware in the Skylake NUCs and Intel's own Driver Download software doesn't even recognize Skylake NUC models properly, so installing manually is the only option.
post #74 of 238 Old 01-19-2016, 08:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
To anyone buying a NUC, the one thing you absolutely must do before-hand is download all the Intel drivers for your NUC from the Intel Support website. Just copy them to a USB/SD card and then copy them to the Desktop, so you can install them immediately after booting into Windows. Windows 10 doesn't recognize any of the hardware in the Skylake NUCs and Intel's own Driver Download software doesn't even recognize Skylake NUC models properly, so installing manually is the only option.
By "beforehand", do you mean to download them using say another Win 10 computer that's already connected to the internet .......... in order to have them at the ready on a USB stick the first time the NUC boots up, but before it connects to the internet for the first time?

Or, for system identification purposes, should the NUC be the machine that does the downloading from Intel, regardless of the fact that, as you say, "Intel's own Driver Download software doesn't even recognize Skylake NUC models properly" (and, presumably, might also not do so for a future Kaby Lake NUC)?

(Obviously, for the KL, this is for my future reference, but I thought I'd ask now anyway.)
post #75 of 238 Old 01-19-2016, 01:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
By "beforehand", do you mean to download them using say another Win 10 computer that's already connected to the internet .......... in order to have them at the ready on a USB stick the first time the NUC boots up, but before it connects to the internet for the first time?

Or, for system identification purposes, should the NUC be the machine that does the downloading from Intel, regardless of the fact that, as you say, "Intel's own Driver Download software doesn't even recognize Skylake NUC models properly" (and, presumably, might also not do so for a future Kaby Lake NUC)?

(Obviously, for the KL, this is for my future reference, but I thought I'd ask now anyway.)
Yes, just download them on another machine from the driver and software page for whatever model you buy and copy them over to the NUC via a USB flash drive or SD card. Make sure you grab the ones marked "Latest". BIOS updates you can install at your own discretion and Intel recommends you not install them unless you have a good reason to, but the executable installation packages for that are as easy as it gets. Intel's own software - both the scripted app on the website and the program that you can download to obtain system software - identifies the NUC as whatever NUC board the model uses, but it doesn't bring up any drivers for said NUC board, though if you select the NUC kit you have - which is the NUC board in an Intel case - from the product list, you get all the drivers you are looking for that should be there with the boards.
post #76 of 238 Old 01-19-2016, 01:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks!
post #77 of 238 Old 01-22-2016, 06:31 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Anyone running madVR with their nuc4/5/6 who can tell if it is any good? It sucks that the new 6 lacks full 4k support and waiting another year is also out of the question for me. And there does not seem to be any alternative.
post #78 of 238 Old 01-22-2016, 11:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroinx View Post
Anyone running madVR with their nuc4/5/6 who can tell if it is any good? It sucks that the new 6 lacks full 4k support and waiting another year is also out of the question for me. And there does not seem to be any alternative.
Intel has their own video rendering settings and tech in their control panel for Intel HD Graphics. As for running MadVR with a NUC, I don't think that's a good idea as NUCs are not made to be "pushed" and they are somewhat fragile as it is. I have the low-end Skylake NUC and I could test it, but I don't anticipate anything great since I can't even adjust the GPU settings in the BIOS to favor MadVR performance, without the unit going into brick mode. For some reason the BIOS is very touchy with all Intel NUC units, so if you change a setting or several settings, it often sends the unit into a tizzy that requires you to clear the BIOS and do some other stuff.
post #79 of 238 Old 01-23-2016, 07:47 PM
Advanced Member

Just tossing my last .02 in on the NUC. I'm done. Tried one last time with NUC6i5SYK, and while I really do like this thing, it still does not play 3D blu ray correctly. I'm not alone with this issue...and it totally sucks that Intel is just blowing off what in all respects seems to be driver related. So I ordered a Zotac today, and if all goes well with that build, the NUC will be tossed to Ebay by week's end

Vizio M801D-A3

JimK

post #80 of 238 Old 02-05-2016, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Intel recently pooped out a new BIOS for the latest NUCs that fixes a lot of the stability issues and updates the chipset firmwares. After installing it over the updated BIOS I installed while setting up the NUC, I was able to change numerous BIOS settings without the unit having a hissy fit and going into BRICK mode.
post #81 of 238 Old 03-10-2016, 12:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just wanted to give this a bump with a status report on my NUC. I haven't had any problems with this thing since updating the BIOS and Intel has been pushing out BIOS updates regularly to fix all the "factory flaws" that the first-run units shipped with. If anyone is considering getting a current NUC, I would tell you to do so without hesitation, though the NUC competitors using mini-STX are starting to emerge with full desktop CPUs instead of the mobile versions used in NUC and NUC-based designs (AKA NUC-Offs).
post #82 of 238 Old 03-11-2016, 08:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
the NUC competitors using mini-STX are starting to emerge with full desktop CPUs instead of the mobile versions used in NUC and NUC-based designs (AKA NUC-Offs).
Good about your improved system, Lex.

Can you provide some links to a mini-STX that uses full desktop CPUs? The reason I ask is that I'm thinking that maybe some of these might get the Kaby Lake, ironically, long before the NUC.

Thanks.
post #83 of 238 Old 03-11-2016, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Good about your improved system, Lex.

Can you provide some links to a mini-STX that uses full desktop CPUs? The reason I ask is that I'm thinking that maybe some of these might get the Kaby Lake, ironically, long before the NUC.

Thanks.
https://msi.com/Desktop/Cubi-2-Plus.html#hero-overview

That's all that's available right now, but I expect Gigabyte to get in on the game. Maybe ASUS too. ASRock is the only other company that has a model ready to go, but they haven't released it yet. I think they could really take off with Kaby Lake once you add the latest Thunderbolt and USB connections to the mix. Pair a good Kaby Lake STX system with the new external GPU hardware and an HBM GPU and you've got something very interesting for gaming. I don't expect them to get Kaby Lake first simply because STX systems aren't a priority and they are designed around the regular CPUs. Given that, I expect we'll see NUCs and laptops with the low-end Kaby Lake chips a bit before we get anything STX with it.
Herve likes this.

Last edited by LexInVA; 03-11-2016 at 10:10 AM.
post #84 of 238 Old 03-11-2016, 12:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by --Sclaws View Post
Just tossing my last .02 in on the NUC. I'm done. Tried one last time with NUC6i5SYK, and while I really do like this thing, it still does not play 3D blu ray correctly. I'm not alone with this issue...and it totally sucks that Intel is just blowing off what in all respects seems to be driver related. So I ordered a Zotac today, and if all goes well with that build, the NUC will be tossed to Ebay by week's end
Did you get your new Zotac working? If so I'd be really interested in reading your impression of it.

Thanks!
post #85 of 238 Old 03-11-2016, 04:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Gigabyte just updated their BRIX line with the 6000-series BRIX units, packing Intel's Skylake chips. Like Intel's NUC line, they come in both compact and double-sized models with support for 2.5in storage drives.
post #86 of 238 Old 03-12-2016, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Thompson View Post
Did you get your new Zotac working? If so I'd be really interested in reading your impression of it.

Thanks!
I did get the EN970 and its working just fine. Its of course larger than the NUC, but still has a small footprint. The BIOS is decent, and it boots a bit faster than the NUC did. Best part is the Nvidia graphics do not exhibit the issues I had with Intel. I really wanted to keep the NUC, but I have no regrets with Zotac. Solid machine for me so far and solved my issues.

Vizio M801D-A3

JimK

post #87 of 238 Old 03-14-2016, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
That's a nice system, but the EN970 is more power than I need - don't need a dedicated graphics card. I'm looking along the lines of a Zotac Zbox RI531 for use as a Plex client and some occasional web browsing.
post #88 of 238 Old 03-14-2016, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I have found one bug that seems to have popped up. Windows 10 keeps losing the audio chipset so I have to reinstall the drivers. Not sure what caused it but it's happened several times since my past posting which coincides with the most recent BIOS update and I didn't have that problem initially.
post #89 of 238 Old 03-15-2016, 03:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

AnandTech just reviewed the latest NUC offering and gave it a thumbs-up review, with an emphasis on it's HTPC capabilities with solid frame-rate decoding and cool/quiet operation.
post #90 of 238 Old 03-17-2016, 06:44 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 646
The latest generation comes with a completely new design/look... including HDMI 2.0.

| 120" Screen | 1080p Projector | 7.2.4 Boston Acoustics & Power Sound Audio | Yamaha RX-A3060 & AudioSource AMP110 | Sony UBP-X800 | LibreELEC/ODROID-C2 Media Client | Ubuntu/ODROID-XU4 Server via Kodi/Plex Media Server : LG 65EG9600 OLED TV | TiVo | Roku Premiere+ | Blu-ray Movies for Sale | Digital HD Codes for Sale |

Last edited by Charles R; 03-17-2016 at 06:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page