AVS Forum banner

How does this look for HTPC build? Suggestions please

1K views 25 replies 7 participants last post by  wiley165 
#1 ·
I want quiet OTA recording and playback, play BD/DVD's, Streaming/Netflix/Prime, minor web browsing/Open Office. Planning Win 8.1/10, but may try OpenElec/Kodi if not happy. Can install Graphics if needed for mild gaming.
Suggestions to improve or save money please:

Case - Silverstone GD04S-USB 3.0, $99 (shallow, silver, full ht PCI)
CPU - i3-4130T, 2.9 GHz dual core, 35W TDP, $113
mobo - GA-Z97M-3DH, LGA1150, need both PCI and PCIe, $94
memory - Kingston Hyper X Fury, 8 Gb (2x4Gb), DDR3-1600, $55
Power supply - Silverstone ST45S-G, 450W, 80+ Gold, $89
Storage: Boot - 128Gb Adata SSD, Storage - Seagate ST3100528AS, 1Tb, (already have)
Tuner - Hauppage HVR-1600, Full Ht PCI (already have)
Graphics - Onboard, if needed XFX 1Gb HD 5450 or 2Gb R5 230 (already have)
Optical - have several DVD-RW's, will likely buy BD reader for this
Have good OTA antenna and signal (didn't with external USB tuner to same antenna???)

Thanks for reviews/suggestions, Nelsonsdive

See less See more
#3 ·
Thank you ikkuranus, I guess I don't understand HTPC properly. I was following a guide (from mymediaexperience.com, value level) that told me to stay with a 35W CPU if I want it to be quiet. I would love to have the power of this desktop, but don't want the noise (that was the main issue with my Shuttle (before it died) as a PVR).
Can I go to something with a faster clock without getting loud? Looking at pcpartpicker, if I go up to 54W (can't get 4 cores until 65W it seems) I could go with an i3-4160 which is up to 3.6GHz for less money, does that make sense?? I haven't done any under/over clocking except the automatic, and that hiccupped bad enough on the SG31G2 Shuttle that I turned it off (when it kicked in, the fans got loud, and it would frequently stop playback in the middle).
Thanks again,
Nelsonsdive

#5 ·
I'm running an i5-4690K slightly overclocked to 4.1GHz on the stock Intel cooler in a GD09 case and it's very quiet and stays plenty cool. My central air and ceiling fan on low are louder than the HTPC. Even in the winter I don't notice fan noise from the couch (until I turn it off).

I'm not saying you need an i5. It's just that noise won't be an issue with a standard (or even K-series) processor.

#8 · (Edited)
I'll second to avoid the "T" series proc, just get the regular i3-4130.

Also, based on the other specs, I see no reason to use a "Z" series motherboard. Save yourself some additional money by getting the equivalent "H" series board. The "Z" series is an overclocking Mobo, no need for that in an HTPC.

If price is the same, or a couple dollars more, look to DDR3-1866 or 2133 memory as opposed to DDR3-1600. Lately, they have been similar in price during sales on NewEgg.

Regarding PSU, Silverstone is actually a very good brand. However don't get caught up on an 80+ Gold unit. Bronze is just as good for HTPC use. Look at models from SeaSonic, Antec, FSP, beQuiet, ThermalTake and Superflower. I am using a Corsair CX-430 (Channelwell) that was $20 A/R at NewEgg. Works fine, and perfectly quiet for HTPC use. I've been using these units for a lot of recent builds. Look to get one with a single 120/135mm fan. Also look for one that has an Active PFC for additional piece of mind.

Here's a site that tells you who makes what in PSU's: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/power-supply-psu-brands,3762.html

Reactions: nelsonsdive
#13 ·
Got it, downgraded the mobo to an H97, found faster memory for less. Am I okay speeding up the processor to a i3-4160 at 54W TDP and 3.6GHz, or is that going to make it to loud? It actually costs less :>). Case arrived today (nice, Grandia 04S), Corsair RM-450 due in tomorrow. Holding off on CPU/mobo/memory purchase, hoping to hit a 4thof July sale this weekend to save some $ (I can dream it can't I).

Thanks again for all the help and suggestions, :)

Nelsonsdive
Mike@nelsonsdive.net

#14 ·
Any of the CPUs in that range are going to be fine, heat wise. As far as being loud, the fan is your concern, and I have had no issues with any of the stock fans being too loud for me. The CPU I'm using to type this on is a 135w TDP and I can't hear the fan in the background. :)

#15 · (Edited)
If you were dead set on getting a Corsair Gold modular PSU, you could have saved a bunch by getting this for $24 A/R: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100007657%2050001459%20600014060%20600014059%20600029977&Manufactory=1459 (edit: sorry, direct product link to the CS450M wouldn't work)

Any Haswell i3 will essentially have the same acoustical properties, so just find the one you can get the best deal on.

Any chance you have a MicroCenter anywhere near you? You can get some good deals on CPU/MB/RAM combos there if you get the i3-4370.
http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/0a60b8ad#/0a60b8ad/33

Reactions: nelsonsdive
#16 ·
Thank you Wiley165, I really Wish I had found that P/S before ordering the one I did, that is exactly what I was looking for (but didn't find). I trusted PCPartpicker a bit too much it seems. I checked and nearest MicroCenter is in GA (drats), we have a Tigerdirect on the West side of Orlando, but it didn't really have much of what I wanted the one time I went there. They were only carrying the "latest and greatest", many of the sale items were empty shelves, I was not impressed with the (IMO) excessive qty of consumer electronics in a computer store....

#18 ·
There's a price drop on memory, preferences???? I'm leaning toward the Predator but it has a higher JEDEC latency :

Kingston Predator DDR3-1866, $57.99 (http://pcpartpicker.com/part/kingston-memory-khx18c10t2k28),
vs.
G.Skill Ripjaws X series DDR3-1600, $58.99 (https://pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-memory-f312800cl7d8gbxm)

Suggestions/Preferences???
The difference is small, but the 1866 MHz is better despite the higher latency. But you don't have to spend $58 to be able to get there.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231460

#20 · (Edited)
#24 ·
Finished the ordering

Got everything on Order, will all be here by Thursday. I'll post back with the results. I've updated the pcpartpicker list with the actuals (except the prior purchase items that I haven't dug up receipts yet). Thank you all for your inputs, I really appreciate the help.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/mrJkrH (I hope that link works)

I'll let you know how this all works out,
:)

#25 ·
Up and Running

It's all together and running... my (11yo daughter Anna) assembled it! I was surprised she wanted to do it, but happy also :). All up and running good so far.
Only issue I'm seeing is that it will intermittently (20mins-1hr) come out of sleep mode spin the fans up, then go back to sleep, with no input changes? Highest temp per Speed Fan is 44C, all others at 34-35 (when I'm looking at it, which would mean an active display). The 3 chassis fans sit around 1000rpm when running normally (irritating but not bad), but I'm thinking I may want to slow the CPU and those fans down. Might need to underclock it so I can turn the fans off except when it's actually recording or playing back.
Is it realistic to have it completely passive (no fans) when in idle/standby, CPU is 54W max TDP, but I wonder how well it slows down???
Thoughts/ideas gratefully accepted.

#26 ·
That's awesome that your daughter was so interested in helping build the PC. I did some boxes with my nephews a while back, and they were really into it. Here in RI, there is a push for more females to be involved in IT. There's a collaborative called "GRRL Tech" that works with High School girls, and some of the leading Technical firms and colleges. One of my previous employers is a part of it.

Anyhow...
If the chassis fans are connected directly to the motherboard, you can edit the fan speeds through the BIOS and/or through the Gigabyte EasyTune utillity. If they are connected directly to the PSU, then you can modify the Fans pins down to 7v or 5v.
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article6-page1.html

Regarding the random startups, there must be some sort of wake timer interfering with Windows. Try Disabling the Wake On LAN in the BIOS, unless you need this function, if that doesn't solve the issue, Google: "how to disable Wake timers in Windows 8.1".

You probably could get by with a passive CPU heatsink. It would be on the large side, and you would have to ensure good airflow through the case, with proper inlet and exhaust flow. Again, I would probably modify the CPU Fan Speed within the BIOS to quiet it down, before eliminating the CPU Fan altogether, or if you can, purchase an aftermarket fan/heatsink that has a quiet fan. Look at options from Zalman, Noctua, and Scythe. Check the Case Mfg's manual for any height restrictions on CPU Coolers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.