AVS Forum banner

Should I dis-able Wifi for my HTPC ?

253 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  ikkuranus 
#1 ·
Hi,

My HTPC has wired and wireless network connections. (And seems like some blue tooth too which I think I don't use.)

Should I dis-able the wifi ?... I'm thinking it doesn't matter but I would hate for it to use the wifi over the wired connection and have a resulting problem.

-Brian

#4 ·
I always bridge wi-fi to the NIC on laptops. This way, I don't have to switch from one to the other if I plug in the wire, or wise versa.

I believe it will automatically select wired, if available.

#6 ·
Some (but not all) of our Dell Latitude E-series laptops won't default to a wired connection whether docked or directly plugged into ethernet. They default to a WiFi connection unless it's turned off (either in the control panel or with the physical switch). It appears to me that it depends on the WiFi card firmware and/or drivers. My Latitude E6320 with a Dell-branded Broadcom card has an option to disable WiFi when a wired connection is available (one of that card's few benefits). Other laptops of the same generation with a different WiFi card (Intel) don't have that option. We don't have the NICs bridged, so I can't speak to that.

#5 ·
If you're not using it, disable it.

You're gaining nothing from having it enabled, and you're gaining performance and security from disabling it.

Windows 7 (not positive about other versions) default to using the wireless connection if available. (which will hurt your network performance)
And while the security risk present by having the wifi adapter enabled is very small, it is not zero. Disabling the wifi drops the risk of that vector to zero.

Reactions: dfkimbro
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.