AVS Forum banner

PC in bedroom, TV in livingroom...

429 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  James Freeman 
#1 ·
Hi.

I moved my TV and Speakers to the living room but left my main PC in the bedroom where the recording studio is.

To connect the PC to the TV I run a single 50 feet HDMI cable between the rooms, from the TV I use the line-out to the amplifier and speakers.
To control the bedroom PC which is in dual screen mode with the TV I use my Laptop with TeamViewer as a remote control from the living room to control the PC in the bedroom.

So far this is the best single cable solution I thought of. A step further would be a wireless HDMI system.

What do you suggest for the cleanest setup with the HTPC in a different room from the TV?
DLNA is out of the question because I want to use madVR from my PC.

Thanks.

#2 · (Edited)
I'm not sure this is what you're after, but I'll just describe what I use.

I have a PC in one room and a TV in an adjacent room.
The PC is not a dedicated HTPC, it's my main PC.

I have an HDMI cable running from the PC to the receiver in the basement and another from the receiver to the TV.

In the TV room, I use a bluetooth keyboard to control the PC.
The rooms are right next to each other, but it seems to work fine at the other end of the house (At least 50+ ft away or so).

I use X-10 modules to turn the PC on or off. The "power on after power loss" bios setting will cause it to start automatically when feeding it power using X-10.
For DVD playback I use a YAMJ index running on a NAS that sits in the basement.

#3 ·
Thanks.
So you basically run a single monitor setup and control it via bluetooth keyboard...

What I have is a dual screen setup, with the screens in different rooms.
To see both screens I use a remote control software with yet another PC (a laptop) which is already a keyboard and a mouse.
The only problem is the HDMI cable on the floor which I fold each time I want to use the big setup in the living room.

#6 ·
I got a setup similar to ESPNSTI.

Dedicated HTPC in my basement. I runned a HDMI cable + USB cable from my HTPC to the TV. I'm using a Logitech wireless keyboard with mouse pad on it. Since the range is not that great, the dungle is connected to the USB cable I runned along the HDMI cable. HTPC is always in hebernation or something like this. As soon as I touch the keyboard erverything comes back alive. Boot time is very fast with the SSD HD.

Hope it's gonna help you. But I believe your main problem is that you gonna have to run your HDMI cable in the wall and not on the floor ! :eek:

Cheers

#8 · (Edited)
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.