Setup Advice - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 2 Unread Today, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Setup Advice

Hi All.

I'd like some advice from someone more experienced to improve my setup.

Current Setup:
Plex Media Server installed on Macbook Pro
Living Room: Plex installed on Apple TV
Bedroom: Rasplex running on RPi.

N40L Server (Ubuntu):
250GB Boot
2x 2TB WD Green
1x 1.5TB Seagate

I have wired Cat6, I put American TV on one drive, British TV on another and Films on another drive.

Problems:
1- I don't have any backups. The British TV drive failed last week which has prompted this.
2- I have to keep my laptop on in order to watch anything, because the N40L isn't powerful enough when it needs to transcode. This would be a bonus, but my laptop being on isn't necessarily a big problem.

Unused hardware:
- An extra RPi. (I use the Apple TV downstairs because it doesn't have HDMI-CEC like the bedroom).
- 1x 1.5TB Seagate, 1x 1TB WD Black, 1x 1TB Seagate, 1x OWC 240GB SSD.
- 1x USB2 4 bay enclosure.

I'm looking for possible solutions to improve my all round setup without spending too much.

I'm torn towards RAID/ZFS or using the USB enclosure (or something else) for backup - I'd only really need to backup like once every couple of weeks, but beware I've had the USB enclosure and didn't use it as a backup anyway, and due to the odd disk sizes it'd like need to be on JBOD or something - so perhaps RAID is better.

An alternative is to build a new cheap low power computer to put plex media server on and use the N40L as a NAS. Or ditch the N40L altogether and just build one with like 8 bays, stick a couple new 2/3/4TB drives in with the random existing ones and come up with something.

I don't really want to waste the equipment I've got though, but realise some of it will need to be left unused. And due to the random disk sizes I currently have, it makes it difficult to try and re-use a lot of it.

Anyone have any grand ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Unread Today, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked: 139
How attached to the N40L are you? You could easily build a new server around a more powerful processor, then throw all the drives you have into that box, and do duplication with Drivepool or a RAID solution.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
htpc , linux , n40l , plex , raid

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page