Custom Resolution Guide for 1080i HDTV-HTPC-POWERSTRIP-RADEON - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 1734 Old 03-08-2003, 07:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Karnis,
Thanks for the dongle report. Hopefully soon the ATI folks will actually look at the custom resolutions you were nice enough to send them! :P

1)I was looking at the advanced display properties and was wondering if you tweak any of settings? I leave everything at default (open gl, overlay, smartgart, color). If you tweak that stuff what changes do you make?

2) do you make changes to the XP ClearType font settings?

3) Is there any difference in picture quality between using a dvi to component transcoder and using a dvi to vga to component "breakout cable". Right now I am using a breakout cable and am wondering if the direct dvi to component transcoder will yield better quality.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1734 Old 03-08-2003, 08:30 PM
RTK
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Originally posted by BostonT
The ATI dongle does allow for custom resolutions and timings using powerstrip and even the display properties box. The problems is finding a resolution with little overscan and no VD.

These two statements are completely contradictory. If the ATI dongle did allow customized resolutions with Powerstrip, there would be no problem finding a resolution with little overscan and no VD. You would simply create the desired resolution with Powerstrip.

The current catalyst drivers for the dongle do not allow customized resolutions with Powerstrip without defaulting to a VD.

Rick
post #273 of 1734 Old 03-09-2003, 05:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The one custom rez I can make work with the dongle is 856x480p@540p timings. I can get very limited success with custom timings of standard Windows rez....720x480p and 640x480p, 1920x1080i and ATi's 1776x1000i. I did have to add the PS switch "DisableRadeonTiling=1" to avoid the washed out desktop effect on 1000i and 1080i. More to come.
post #274 of 1734 Old 03-09-2003, 05:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by thomasamiller
Karnis,
Thanks for the dongle report. Hopefully soon the ATI folks will actually look at the custom resolutions you were nice enough to send them! :P

1)I was looking at the advanced display properties and was wondering if you tweak any of settings? I leave everything at default (open gl, overlay, smartgart, color). If you tweak that stuff what changes do you make?

________________Everything at default. All I do is set the dongle to 480p, 1080i and 16x9. No changes either in the YPbPr adjustments screen either. Choosing optimized or custom gave me more VD than I started with.

2) do you make changes to the XP ClearType font settings?
____________________No, but I believe I do use large fonts and large icons.

3) Is there any difference in picture quality between using a dvi to component transcoder and using a dvi to vga to component "breakout cable". Right now I am using a breakout cable and am wondering if the direct dvi to component transcoder will yield better quality.

___________________________I only have the black VGA adapter & need to go DVI port to DVI-VGA adapter to black VGA dongle, so I can't compare the conditions you describe. It is card dependant. With the AIW9700 you use the breakout cable. 8500 uses the black VGA adapter. 9500 and 9700 uses the purple DVI adapter, but you can use the black VGA adapter by connecting to the DVI-VGA adapter first.

post #275 of 1734 Old 03-09-2003, 05:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

UPDATED:
revised timings for interlaced resolutions for broader compatibility, and added a couple more resolutions. Also added ATi HDTV adapter notes.

I did notice that the "tiling" bug seems fixed now. After adding the "DisableRadeonTiling=1" switch in PS, I can now run interlaced rez without corruption of the TheaterTek OSD. This was tested with a 9500pro and Cat 3.1 drivers using the KD transcoder. I didn't run any games using interlaced rez, but I did run a couple of visual plug-ins in Winamp that use OpenGL and it worked fine. No interlaced overlay yet unless you use the adapter.
post #276 of 1734 Old 03-18-2003, 04:45 AM

I was reading about the new Samsung DVD-HD931 player coming out that upconverts dvds to 720p/1080i. What's the difference in picture quality compared to my htpc 540p/1080i based timings using powerstrip and a Key Digital VTCA-2 Transcoder? Is 540p on a htpc the same as 720p on the Samsung?
post #277 of 1734 Old 03-18-2003, 06:42 AM

karnis,
dude, you must have a LOT of time on your hands to figure all this stuff out!!!
post #278 of 1734 Old 03-18-2003, 09:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Karnis
I did notice that the "tiling" bug seems fixed now. After adding the "DisableRadeonTiling=1" switch in PS, I can now run interlaced rez without corruption of the TheaterTek OSD. This was tested with a 9500pro and Cat 3.1 drivers using the KD transcoder. I didn't run any games using interlaced rez, but I did run a couple of visual plug-ins in Winamp that use OpenGL and it worked fine. No interlaced overlay yet unless you use the adapter.

Should the interlaced overlay issue get fixed, are we going to be able to use it as long as the "DisableRadeonTiling" switch has to be set? Is the use of this switch due to another bug in the Radeon drivers or a bug in Powerstrip?

The reason that I set the switch in the first place was to fix the OSD in TT. What other purpose does this switch serve?

Thanks,

Kevin
post #279 of 1734 Old 03-18-2003, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by avekevin
Should the interlaced overlay issue get fixed, are we going to be able to use it as long as the "DisableRadeonTiling" switch has to be set? Is the use of this switch due to another bug in the Radeon drivers or a bug in Powerstrip?

The reason that I set the switch in the first place was to fix the OSD in TT. What other purpose does this switch serve?

Thanks,

Kevin

I don't think it is a bug in either...certainly not in Powerstrip. PS only sets the tiling switch to either 1 or 0....on or off.
With that being said, to answer your second question, you must disable tiling to use interlaced resolutions or the desktop will be a scambled mess.

gordon:
actually, I have precious little time on my hands. I'm just a geek who likes to stay busy.
And I enjoy sharing the stuff I've learned over the course of the last few years for the benefit of others.
post #280 of 1734 Old 03-18-2003, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by bass4040
I was reading about the new Samsung DVD-HD931 player coming out that upconverts dvds to 720p/1080i. What's the difference in picture quality compared to my htpc 540p/1080i based timings using powerstrip and a Key Digital VTCA-2 Transcoder? Is 540p on a htpc the same as 720p on the Samsung?

Unknown, as that DVD player has yet to be released, I don't have a 720p display, nor do I have a DVI input, which you will need to get 720p/1080i.

If you guys would donate a 720p display & that DVD player to me, I'll be more than happy to do a comparison and offer my findings!

Stacey Spears did post in the DVD HW forum that that player actually converts to 540p, not 1080i.
post #281 of 1734 Old 03-19-2003, 01:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I don't think it is a bug in either...certainly not in Powerstrip. PS only sets the tiling switch to either 1 or 0....on or off.
With that being said, to answer your second question, you must disable tiling to use interlaced resolutions or the desktop will be a scambled mess.

What does this switch do, and other than the TT OSD issue (which now seems fixed), why would we want to set it?

Kevin
post #282 of 1734 Old 03-19-2003, 05:28 AM
Advanced Member

In order for PowerStrip to enable interlacing in hardware w/o screen corruption, it must disable tiling in the driver. This exacts a heavy performance penalty in 3D applications. If - and only if - you use PowerStrip for interlacing, you should set this switch. If you don't use PowerStrip for interlacing, turn tiling back on.

Tiling can be turned on or off by double-clicking on the "New resolution" panel in PowerStrip's "Custom resolution" dialog box.
post #283 of 1734 Old 03-19-2003, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:

Originally posted by Ashley Saldanha
In order for PowerStrip to enable interlacing in hardware w/o screen corruption, it must disable tiling in the driver. This exacts a heavy performance penalty in 3D applications. If - and only if - you use PowerStrip for interlacing, you should set this switch. If you don't use PowerStrip for interlacing, turn tiling back on.

Tiling can be turned on or off by double-clicking on the "New resolution" panel in PowerStrip's "Custom resolution" dialog box.

This is on the title bar called " new resolution" right? Not the "add new resolution" button?

If so how can I tell whether it is tiling or not... I forgot how many times I have double clicked...

Al
post #284 of 1734 Old 03-19-2003, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

"This is on the title bar called " new resolution" right? Not the "add new resolution" button? "

Correct. It is a toggle so it will prompt you to enable or disable. Tiling enabled will result in a scrambled interlaced desktop. Tiling disabled will result in a clean interlaced desktop and poor 3D performance.
post #285 of 1734 Old 03-19-2003, 06:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

"This is on the title bar called " new resolution" right? Not the "add new resolution" button? "

Correct. It is a toggle so it will prompt you to enable or disable. Tiling enabled will result in a scrambled interlaced desktop. Tiling disabled will result in a clean interlaced desktop and poor 3D performance.

That's an interesting way to hide a toggle! Well, I'm glad to know it can be changed on the fly. Is this a real-time change or is a reboot required?

Tim

Before you criticize someone you should walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away and you have their shoes!

Setting up Powerstrip with a Sony A10 LCD RPTV
post #286 of 1734 Old 03-19-2003, 11:56 PM

Hi-
I live in the Wash,DC area. Is there anyone who provides an in-home service to maximize you HTPC to your projector?
post #287 of 1734 Old 03-20-2003, 03:00 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I just checked mine, and tiling was already disabled. I turned it on and had to reboot.
post #288 of 1734 Old 03-20-2003, 04:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Tim: a reboot is required. If you already have the "DisableRadeonTiling" switch in the pstrip.ini remove it & control tiling thru the "new rez" button.
post #289 of 1734 Old 03-22-2003, 11:54 PM

I have a 9700 pro with an ATI HDTV Component Video Adapter. FYI, I found this on the ATI site explaining an overscanning issue.

Here's the link:
http://www.ati.com/support/infobase/4050.html

Here's the text:
Images on the TV are overscanned when using an ATI HDTV Component Video Adapter

When outputting video via an ATI HDTV Component Video Adapter, the TV image may appear enlarged or cut off.
TVs overscan images, typically 5%, and this can result in part of the image being cut off the display. The amount of the image not seen will vary with each HDTV and between each timing chosen, for example more overscanning may be noticeable with 1080i than 480i. The effect is minimized with 720p, therefore, if your HDTV supports 720p, it is recommended to use this mode.

As of CATALYST 02.4 Display Drivers, there is an added YPbPr adjustment feature which accommodates for differences in HDTV sets.

Selecting an Optimized Format will compensate for this overscanning, for the chosen HDTV format, and allow the entire desktop to fit the viewing area.

INFO-BASE file # 4050
Keywords: HDTV for PC LARGE SCREN BIG IMAGE VIRTUAL DESKTOP
post #290 of 1734 Old 03-23-2003, 03:55 AM

psilent,
last I knew what that did was take a 640X480 resolution and crop it to whatever fits, 640X420 or something like that.
post #291 of 1734 Old 03-23-2003, 03:56 AM

And by the way, it did work ok and I did use it for a while, til I got up to speed with Powerstrip.
post #292 of 1734 Old 03-23-2003, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member

bump for Funky guy.
post #293 of 1734 Old 03-24-2003, 06:01 PM
Advanced Member

I hope someone here might be able to help me get this working. I have a self-made RGBHV to Y-Pr-Pb transcoder I finally finished building over the weekend. It was built with a tested and working schematic so I know the design should at least support 480p timings with no problem. I am having a hard time getting it to display though. I am using a Geforce4 ti4600 from Visiontek (43.30 drivers) on a WinXP Pro SP1 machine with Powerstrip 3.30 with known good quadshield RG6 for the compenent cables on a Sony 36XBR800.

When first plugged in and the PC set to the standard 640x480 (31.5 and 60.00) with negative syncs (the design requires negative sync rather than positive), I noticed that the video label (i.e. Video 1, 2 ,3 , etc) in the top left-hand corner would go out for very short moments as if it were trying to do something or other. I played around with the settings for quite some time with very limited results. At one point, I was able to get a flickering horizontal line across the screen that seemed to move up and down the screen between blinking but nothing more than that. I then tried (don;t ask why cause I don't even know) the 640x400 preset at the main menu of powerstrip and then adjusted and messed around until I got the 75-or-so Hz default down to 60 and then played with settings from there trying to find something that would make the TV respond (I also had to make one of the syncs negative because by default one was pos and one waws negative). With that I was able to get some kind os strange display. It was garbled and I couldn't make out a thing nor tell what was happening in order to troubleshoot what might be causeing this. I was able, however, to adjust the 60Hz up and down to resize the height of the screen it seems...although still unusable and not what I wanted anyhow. I am sure when I am getting a response from the TV at all, I do not have the correct "total lines". What are the correct total lines for a 640x480p 4:3 resolution? Also, can someone give me tips on what to tweak and when and a general idea how I can diagnose the results I am getting in order to come closer to a proper display? Thanks.

Dan Bennett

Learning something new every minute.
post #294 of 1734 Old 03-24-2003, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The correct vertical line total for 640x480p @ 31.5Khz scan rate is 525. I strongly recommend you get it working with your PC monitor first. I might also suggest you get a consumer transcoder so you know your timings are correct before you try to use your DIY transcoder. Sorry, I can't help you with GF cards as all the timings listed here are ATI based.
post #295 of 1734 Old 03-24-2003, 07:31 PM
Advanced Member

Karnis,
What would the advantage of getting a 640x480p resolution at 31.5 and 60 (negative pulses) be over displaying it on a TV? By default, the setting works fine on the monitor and does not on the TV. How did you determine what settings were ok for the Radeon card (i.e. what method did you use to determine what the resolution, porches, sync width, etc. should be in order to properly display on a compatible television)?
I have also heard through the grapevine that some folks have trouble with a store-bought transcoder (AA included) with powerstrip and their Radeon cards even after refering to your guide...so much so, that they also cannot get a 640x480 image to display. The reason I ask about your methods is to find what settings are ok (i.e. combinations of sync width, back and front porch, pixel clock, etc) together and what are not. I realize that each affect the total lines and that one would have to compensate one for the other but how do they interact? Also, are there cases out there where the total line had to be adjusted up or down a notch or two in order to get a proper display? Thanks, I'm just trying to understand.

Dan Bennett

post #296 of 1734 Old 03-24-2003, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

HDTV sets differ from PC monitors as they require specific timings, scan rates, refresh rates and sync widths....whereas PC monitors are multiscan and multisync....they also want positive sync pulses from my experience. All the timings I posted work on a variety of HDTVs, but not every set is the same.
The timing strings posted simply emulate either a HD STB or a progressive scan DVD player. In fact, Windows default 640x480p @ 60Hz should be able to display on an HDTV without PS.
Again, as a matter of common sense, I highly suggest you learn Powerstrip very closely, read the guide very closely, then test the timings strings on a PC monitor, and try a transcoder to test them out on your set. Then you can try your DIY project box. You have to have a baseline to start with, or else you'll never be able to effectively troubleshoot where your problems are.
The vertical line total is crucial for HDTVs...a line or two adjust can cause the set to lose sync. Good luck on your project!
post #297 of 1734 Old 03-24-2003, 09:51 PM
Advanced Member

Karnis,
I took your advice and tried the default 640x480 setting at 60Hz using the main menu of powerstrip's slider (it is negative synced by default by the way..at least on my PC). I then confirmed I was dealing with a near 31.5 and 60 animal before I hooked up my home-brewed transcoder. When I hit went to press the video input for the correct input on the television, I accidently hit the button that launches the myHTPC app I have running and then hit the correct button to the correct input on the TV. The picture attached below is the result. Don't mind the big letters, I have myHTPC setup on my scan converter at 1024x768 earlier. When I exit this app back into windows I lose the picture...the same is true while in myHTPC and I display anything with artwork or video. Do you have an explaination for this enomoly? As you can see, even what I have been able to display isn't perfectly lined up...the blurriness is due to my unsteady hands. Thanks for any help.

screenshot

Dan Bennett

post #298 of 1734 Old 03-24-2003, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Sorry, I'm not much help here as you are using a GF card.
post #299 of 1734 Old 03-24-2003, 10:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Sorry, I'm not much help here as you are using a GF card.

Let's say I was using a Radeon card, what would you suggest or would you think the problem might be that the windows desktop is not displaying yet this menu will?

Dan Bennett

post #300 of 1734 Old 03-25-2003, 05:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm confused about what you are doing.
First, may I suggest this be discussed in your DIY thread and not clutter this thread as it is off topic.
Second, I can't tell from your description whether or not your are using your DIY or your PC monitor or scan converter or what. When I get home this evening I'll check your DIY thread again. Thanks!
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page