Custom Resolution Guide for 1080i HDTV-HTPC-POWERSTRIP-RADEON - Page 17 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #481 of 1734 Old 06-13-2003, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You should be able to easily do a 1920x540P. The fonts are really small, but very tight. Nothing like trying to see a 1/2 inch desktop icon on a 65 inch screen from 15 feet away. It's practically a dot until you look closer, but it is clear.
Anyway try some of the 540P timings

vegggas

Helpful Links
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 1734 Old 06-14-2003, 07:19 AM

Re: Custom Resolutions
Hi Karnis,

I am readintg with great interest these threads about custom resolutions

But sometimes I get confused how to find the best resolution for my display.

I am using a Hercules powered by ATI Radeon 8500LE on my Seleco SDG 900.

I've set up my desktop 16:9 through power strip in a 1376 x 774 16:9 resolution in a refresh rate of 50hz according to Power Strip.

I've play my TheaterTek DVD in full screen mode to display this 16:9 resolution.

Does this mean that I am not actually displaying 16:9 in dvd mode? Or do I have a wrong set up from the beginning to the end?

How can I make a 16:9 desktop and play dvd in other 16:9 resolutions?

I appreciate your help regarding this problem. Also I prefer any suggestions for the best 16:9 display.

I look forward to your reply.

Regards
rgald
post #483 of 1734 Old 06-14-2003, 09:43 AM

Karnis - you stated "use application profiles to start TT DVD at 1920x1080i....it switches back to my desktop rez of 856x480p".

How do you set up and application profile?

I'm using Zoom Player and Win2000. Can I make it so that running ZoomPlayer will switch to a higher resolution - and change back when it exits?

Thanks, Les Caudle
post #484 of 1734 Old 06-16-2003, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Originally posted by lescaudle
Karnis - you stated "use application profiles to start TT DVD at 1920x1080i....it switches back to my desktop rez of 856x480p".

How do you set up and application profile?

I'm using Zoom Player and Win2000. Can I make it so that running ZoomPlayer will switch to a higher resolution - and change back when it exits?

In options...preferences...check the "application profile" module
Next, save your DVD playback rez as a display profile
Then, in application profiles, select the program you want to control and then select the display profile you created. Done. You can either choose to use this app profile everytime that program starts, or save it as a desktop shortcut so you can start it selectively (make sure you uncheck "disable shortcut prompts" in the preferences screen). I use the shortcut method.

Powerstrip will switch to your playback rez, launch the program, and switch back to the previous rez when the program quits.
post #485 of 1734 Old 06-16-2003, 01:10 PM

Karnis,

I read about the MP-1 Radeon Enhancement here on another thread. Basically, this company takes the VGA or DVI connector on the back of the Radeon card and adds a 5 bnc output to connect to RGBHV inputs on compatible HDTVs. Some in the thread have suggested that a VGA to RGBHV cable would accomplish the same thing. Can Powerstrip be used with this type of setup instead of a transcoder or the component video adaptor?
post #486 of 1734 Old 06-16-2003, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by PillPu$her
Karnis,

I read about the MP-1 Radeon Enhancement here on another thread. Basically, this company takes the VGA or DVI connector on the back of the Radeon card and adds a 5 bnc output to connect to RGBHV inputs on compatible HDTVs. Some in the thread have suggested that a VGA to RGBHV cable would accomplish the same thing. Can Powerstrip be used with this type of setup instead of a transcoder or the component video adaptor?

Yes, all you need is the VGA to BNC breakout cable to connect your PC to your compatible HDTV with RGBHV inputs, and then use Powerstrip to lock all your resolutions to HDTV-safe timings.
Use the latest CAT 3.4 drivers and you'll have the widest variety of resolutions to use, both progressive and interlaced, as listed in this guide.
You don't need the MP-1 mod to accomplish this, it is a filtering and impedance matching enhancement desgined to improve picture quality, of which it does an excellent job.
post #487 of 1734 Old 06-16-2003, 01:54 PM

Thanks Karnis,

I know some people were having trouble using a transcoder connected to a DVI port with a VGA adaptor. Can I still use the DVI to VGA adaptor with the RGBHV cable? And will the RGBHV picture look as good as it does with the ATI component adaptor (which looks fantastic once it's set up )?

I know that noone NEEDS an MP-1 mod, but IYO, can it greatly improve the picture quality even if I'm only running about 6 ft of cable?
post #488 of 1734 Old 06-16-2003, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by PillPu$her
Thanks Karnis,

I know some people were having trouble using a transcoder connected to a DVI port with a VGA adaptor. Can I still use the DVI to VGA adaptor with the RGBHV cable? And will the RGBHV picture look as good as it does with the ATI component adaptor (which looks fantastic once it's set up )?

___________The problem with using the DVI port is that you have may less custom T&R control, resulting in more virtual desktops than you would outputting from the VGA port. Once you have your custom T&Rs set in Powerstrip, you can experiment yourself by powering down and swapping the outputs on your video card. I do prefer the PQ of the adapter vs. RGBHV...it's slight, but there's something about it that I can quite define except for "hhhmmmm?!"

I know that no one NEEDS an MP-1 mod, but IYO, can it greatly improve the picture quality even if I'm only running about 6 ft of cable?

_________"Greatly improve" is a relative term . I have used an MP-1 modded 9000 in the past, and IMHO I saw cleaner blacks and slightly improved background detail. However, the amount of "dramatic" improvement may not be as noticeable due to the relatively low scan rates HDTVs run at....as I understand it from Mike P., the higher scan frequency, the more the improvement is appreciated.

_________Break it down: an adapter with shipping is about equal to the price of a good breakout cable. That will give you the most control, but the adapter may have slightly better PQ. Aaarrrghhh!!!

post #489 of 1734 Old 06-16-2003, 02:34 PM

Hi all, I have recently purchased a Philips 43PP6360 43" RPTV.

THe TV has a 25 point convergence system plus many picture enhancement tools for perfect picture (Like all of them I guess

The Philips is a 50HZ tv and has S-Video Input on the back, plus the YUV DVD three RCA plugs on the back as well.. In the manual it states that the YUV inputs are 480i / 520i compatible.. I don't think its an HDTV. But it was very very cheap (about $1400 US) and looks great.

Now, I have been running a HTPC for a couple of years on an old TV with S-Video and was intending to do the same here. I was intending on buying a top quality S-Video cable too.

1. What is the resolution I should run the Graphics card at through the S-Video cable... 800 x 600 or 1024 x 768 .. ? Willl signal be interlaced or prog?

2.How many lines of res will my HTPC DVD player put out?

3. Should I worry about getting an adaptor so I can use the component ports from VGA to YUV? Or because the TV is only 50Hz and not HDTV, will it not matter?

4. Should I just buy a standalone DVD player to run through the component inputs?

5. I am just after the best picture here using this RPTV, in the brochure it states that the RPTV has over 800 lines of resolution, how can that be?

Any suggestions would be very appreciated

CREATE, DEFINE, REFINE, MAINTAIN

Tminus, Auckland, New Zealand
post #490 of 1734 Old 06-16-2003, 02:35 PM

LOL! Thanks again Karnis. I'll try connecting with both the component adaptor and a breakout cable for comparison and let you know if I can tell the difference.

As for the MP-1 , I don't have disposable funds, but I do occasionally have birthdays. Maybe a better upgrade would be to connect my incoming sources to a Holo3dgraph and upconvert their signals before passing it along to the AIW and Powerstrip. That way, I'm improving the quality of my input and, hopefully, the ouput as well. Besides, I hear that the holo3dgraphs may be about the same price as the MP-1 soon.

Speaking of improving input signals, how would Powerstrip factor into using an MDP-120 with the AIW cards?
post #491 of 1734 Old 06-17-2003, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I think one thing that makes the ATi adapter look a little better is because the component outputs are rated at 75 ohms,which is matched exactly with the component inputs of an HDTV, where the VGA output is not. This is one of the crucial parts of an MP-1 mod, true 75 ohm BNC outputs (along with the clarity filter), so considering that your set has RGBHV inputs, an MP-1 would probably look as good and probably better than the adapter due to the filtering and proper impedance matching.
post #492 of 1734 Old 06-17-2003, 08:15 PM

It sounds like you're a real fan. I'm more impressed with the MP-1 now that I know you're impressed with it. It's still quite a kick in the wallet.

My first problems to tackle with my HTPC are cleaning up my source signal (satellite) and displaying it at desirable T&Rs, then I'll worry about finetuning the PQ output.
post #493 of 1734 Old 06-18-2003, 07:54 AM

There seemed to be a lot of excitement over the Cat 3.4 drivers because of it's interlacing fixes. Using the ATI adaptor, I have found that progressive outputs look a lot better on my HDTV than interlaced. But maybe I'm missing something. Are there certain applications or instances where interlaced provides a better image? When is it best to use progressive or interlaced?

Also, can anyone point me to the post discussing the advantages of TheaterTek's aspect ratio controls?

Thanks.
post #494 of 1734 Old 06-18-2003, 08:03 AM
Advanced Member

Good question PillPusher. That is something I am still wondering myself.

Another thing I don't understand is how folks correct overscan on a 16:9 television.

Dan Bennett

Learning something new every minute.
post #495 of 1734 Old 06-18-2003, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Interlaced rez should only be used for media playback like DVDs, or for gaming. Normal desktop apps should use progressive.

Heres what I do for overscan correction:

856x480p at 540p timings results in a perfect 16x9 desktop.

1776x1000i: has some vertical overscan, so I adjust the horizontal overscan to make another perfect 16x9 desktop. Its overscanned some, but who cares? Its only used for file/DVD fullscreen playback and still has less overscan than a typical DVD STB.

1920x1080i: here's where TT AR controls come into play. I fit 1920 horizontal correctly, and use TT AR control to set the vertical to 960i. This fixes overscan, gives me a perfect 16x9 image for TT playback and gives me perfect 2x vertical scaling and no horizontal scaling errors as confirmed in AVIA.

More on TT AR controls:

Define the 4 default AR flags, 16x9, 4x3, 4x3 letterbox and 16x9 P&S (menus) relative to your display device so they all fit perfectly and automatically.

Create custom ARs, like a 16x9 zoom to remove black bars on 2.35:1 movies, or a 4x3 zoom to remove side bars on 4x3 material.

Custom rez for the oddball DVD like 1.66:1 Barton Fink or poorly positoned DVDs like Blade Runner R1.

Freedom to position the image anywhere for those with constant height/ width or constant variable screens.

All custom ARs remember on a per disc basis.

Thats just for starters.

I understand that ZP has some AR controls as well, but I don't use it so I can't comment on it.
post #496 of 1734 Old 06-18-2003, 02:36 PM

Thanks Karnis. You said a lot in that post, all of which I will commit to memory. One concept that still eludes me: why is 1080i (or any interlaced T&R) better than 720p? I mean, if 540p and 1080i are roughly equivalent, wouldn't 720p be akin to 1440i? Does the higher resolution of interlaced signal do better on calibration tests like AVIA than lower resolution progressive signals? If I was trying to sell someone on a system that uses a HTPC that can display DVDs at 1000i vs. one without a HTPC that uses a DLP projector that upconverts to a native resolution of 720p, what would be the benefit of the HTPC?
post #497 of 1734 Old 06-19-2003, 12:06 AM

Hi,

Can someone tell me about 1376 x 774p desktop resolution. Is it a good 16:9 resolution?

Since I play theatertek in a full screen mode would it retain a good dimension for 16:9 dvd's.

I'm using a Hercules powered by ATI 8500LE on my Seleco SDG 900.

I appreciate any advice or suggestions for a better set up.

post #498 of 1734 Old 06-19-2003, 02:14 PM

I'm using an 8500 DV with the ATI component adaptor, Cat 3.4, and the latest Powerstrip set to 856*480p on a 16x9 HDTV. This resolution fits perfectly on my screen, just like Karnis said. But last night I noticed that the top and the bottom of the display are curved inward in the middle (they bow towards the middle of the screen). It's not a huge problem, but now that I know it's there, it's very hard to ignore. Anyone else have this problem or know how to correct for it in Powerstrip? TIA.
post #499 of 1734 Old 06-19-2003, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Pill:
Could be your set needs a little geometry work, its not unusual for RPTVs to have sloppy geometry settings. If you have any other HD sources like a STB, see if you notice here as well (try looking a a menu or on screen guide). If it doesn't try adjusting the refresh rate a tick or two.
post #500 of 1734 Old 06-19-2003, 07:54 PM

I may have caused it myself. Once I got the image looking good at 856*480p, I locked the scan frequency and used the arrow buttons to increase the size to the borders of the screen (just a few clicks to enlarge and a few to slide the image into tap center). I may have forgotten to lock the aspect ratio. Would that have caused it?

On another note, I was having a hard time finding resolutions other that 640*480p to play games in. Some of my games, like Jedi Knight II, change the resolution and none of these are ATI adapter "safe" with no overscan. Others may already have figured this out, but I increased the resolution to 1776*1000i in Powerstrip, then selected to play the game at 1280*1024 IN A WINDOW. I'm not getting full 16x9 game play, but I am getting great graphic without the blocky 640*480 stuff. I hope that helps someone else.
post #501 of 1734 Old 06-20-2003, 03:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

You can't change the vertical size like that, because it changes the vertical line total. Locking scan frequencies and using the size buttins only works for horizontal adjustments.
post #502 of 1734 Old 06-20-2003, 11:38 AM

Karnis,

I tired applying your new 1920x1080i timings for the Cat 3.4 drivers, but my RPTV doesn't like those. The previous timings work but I have overscan (which I was hoping the new timings would fix). How can I take your new timings and adjust them so that my set will accept it? The overscan really kills me. I have a Radeon AIW 8500DV going through the ATI dongle into a 47" Panasonic RPTV (PT47WX42).
post #503 of 1734 Old 06-20-2003, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

If the previous timings worked better, use thise a starting point, then check "lock scan frequencies" and adjust for horizontal overscan only. To correct for vertical overscan you must creat a custom rez and reduce the vertical pixel count, example use 1920x960i.
post #504 of 1734 Old 06-21-2003, 12:21 PM

Karnis,

I'd like to have a suggestion from You or pls, if somebody could help me I'll appreciate a lot it.

I'm from Italy and I've received a couple of days ago from States an ATI component video adapter (VGA->component).

I've a NEC 42MP4 (1024x768) that should accept HDTV through component and a Radeon 9700Pro with Catalyst 3.4, win XP.

The NEC is normally connected with DVI and I'm very satisfied about it, but I'm curious to test how could work HDTV, with my HTPC and the new Catalyst 3.4 interlaced feature.

My intention is to maintain the primary XP display connected via DVI and I've defined a secondary XP display VGA that works fine (DVI is extremely better than VGA in my situation), using the same NEC monitor with both DVI and component inputs connected. Switching them, I'm able to test differences.

After this, I've connected the ATI adapter to 9700Pro VGA out and the component cables to my NEC component input, but XP doesn't see any YPbPr monitor, and continues to have a secondary VGA monitor and I'm not able to use component.

Now, I haven't installed any ATI driver for the component adapter, because the CD provided by ATI contains Catalyst 2.1 and my impression during installation process (I've interrupted it), was that it was going to install the 2.1 ATI DD and Control Panel. The ATI installation manual is very poor and confused. I also checked on ATI web site for a specific DD upgrade for the component adapter, but I didn't found anything. Currently I don't know if this DD is already included (and installed) with Catalyst 3.4 or not.

My problem could be connected to the fact that the adapter DD is not installed or not?

Is it correct my assumption to maintain the DVI connection (primary display) and use a component connection on the secondary display?

Thanks in advance to everybody that will help me.
Cheers.

Riccardo
post #505 of 1734 Old 06-21-2003, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Using the latest drivers are fine. Adapter support is built-in to all the drivers. Try booting up from a power-off state with just the HDTV adapter connected and nothing else. I don't think you can have the YPbPr as a secondary monitor, I'm not sure, I've never tried that.
post #506 of 1734 Old 06-23-2003, 02:06 PM

Hello guys.I am new to this HTPC game, and by the looks of it, you are the only people that could help me!

1. I run my geforce 4 mx on the Sharp 9000 with 1280x720p, using Powerstrip.Do I need to adjust any timings, as everybody here seems to 'play' with those settings!
2. Which software would give me the best picture?

Greetings from Greece...
post #507 of 1734 Old 06-23-2003, 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Karnis
If the previous timings worked better, use thise a starting point, then check "lock scan frequencies" and adjust for horizontal overscan only. To correct for vertical overscan you must creat a custom rez and reduce the vertical pixel count, example use 1920x960i.

Ok, it's the vertical overscan that is killing me. I tried creating a custom 1920x960i rez by loading the 1920x1080i rez that works, clicking lock total geometry, then changing the vertical rez to 960, then adding it. However, my RPTV is not accepting it. Any suggestions on how to tweak this so it works?

yekat
post #508 of 1734 Old 06-23-2003, 08:10 PM

Yekat,

I couldn't get that res to work either...it came out heavily overscanned. But 1776*1000i works VERY well with the tweaks Karnis listed. I was able to lock the scan frequency and adjust it to fit my screen very well, with little overscan. Try that one, but follow Karnis' directions closely (no more than 2 clicks). Good Luck.
post #509 of 1734 Old 06-24-2003, 04:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

yekat:
It could be that when "locking total geometry" the timings are not EXACTLY correct. Test first on a PC monitor to make sure the scan rate, refresh rate and vertical line total are correct....33.75KHz, 30Hz and 1125.
post #510 of 1734 Old 06-24-2003, 07:24 AM
Advanced Member

Sum it up for me so I don't have to read through the thousands of posts. I ust found out that there is a new cat driver. I have a Radeon 7200 running 720p on a NEC 6PG crt projector. I just set it up on windows 2000 to do 1920 by 1080i and all went well. I am using the theatertek player with ffdshow and reclock.

Am I up to date now as far as my htpc goes or are there any more developments that I am missing?
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page