Custom Resolution Guide for 1080i HDTV-HTPC-POWERSTRIP-RADEON - Page 31 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 1734 Old 11-14-2003, 11:31 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:

Originally posted by bensteph
I guess I will have to decide between a not so perfect desktop picture or using the a RDBHV switcher like you suggested. I probably will try the passthrough method and then bypassing the AccessDTV alltogether to do a little comparison. Just to see if the small degradation in using the passthrough justifies purchasing the switcher.

I would definitely give that a try so you can make an informed decision.

Quote:

In the mean time, I will research the switchers and see if it is cost affective. Is there a paticular model RGBHV switcher you recommend?

Pretty much any RGBHV or VGA switch from Extron with a bandwidth of 200MHz or higher should do. They have some models with 15 pin VGA connectors and others with BNC connectors. The cables you use will have an impact on your choice as will the number and type of sources you have or anticipate adding. There's an Extron SW2-VGA switch on ebay now that would certainly be suitable. If remote control of the switcher is important to you, you'll need to research your options. Most of the Extron models are remote controllable, but will often require an add on unless you have a high end control system that can interface directly with the switcher.

You should be able to get a used, but in excellent condition, Extron, Kramer, Inline, etc. switcher that will suit your needs for under $200 off of ebay. If you decide to purchase new, what you would need would start at around $500.

Another option is to use the video side of a computer KVM switch, but the video quality you end up with probably won't be quite as good as a switcher from the companies I mentioned.

Either way, the cost of an accessDTV card plus a video switcher will be well below the rumored cost of the HD Tivos. Regardless, I suspect you would still need a video switcher if you get an HD Tivo instead of the accessDTV card assuming you still plan to use the PC for DVD playback.
Let us know what you end up doing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 1734 Old 11-14-2003, 09:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, I did a little research on the RGBHV switchers. They aren't as expensive as what I was expecting, but they are a little more than what I was wanting to spend. I did like the Zektor HDS4. It isn't very expensive ($299 new), but more importantly it is controlled by IR (must have) and appearance wise it will integrated well with my other components. I also read several good reviews on this board.

I figure I have 2 options:

1) Have my Radeon 9700pro and AccessDTV card go to separate inputs on the Zektor via RGBHV breakout cables, or
2) Use the passthrough on the AccessDTV.

Concerning quality, I think option 1 will be the best. But I will do some testing on that. Concerning price, I'm not sure. Everything that I have read about using the passthrough on the OTA HD cards state that a transcoder is required if you want to toggle between HD and the desktop. If I decided to use a RGBHV breakout cable from the accessdtv card directly to the tv, will I still need a transcoder if I wanted to view both sources? I haven't read anything about that, it's always VGA to component via a transcoder. I'm not sure technically what RGBHV is compared to component. I know that they are different. But is one better than the other? I'm assuming RGBHV is better, because there is less conversion of the original signal as opposed to a transcoder converting to component. I'm probably wrong on that, so please feel free to correct me.

After my last post, I realized that if decided to get the HD Tivo instead of the accessdtv, I will still be in the same situation as I am now. That is one of the reasons why I'm leaning toward using a switch instead of the passthrough. If I decided to get the HD Tivo in the future, which l probably will (Big TiVo fan ), then it will easily migrate into my home theater. The other reason being, I will get the best possible picture out of all the sources.

Ben
post #903 of 1734 Old 11-14-2003, 09:13 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:

Originally posted by bensteph
Everything that I have read about using the passthrough on the OTA HD cards state that a transcoder is required if you want to toggle between HD and the desktop. If I decided to use a RGBHV breakout cable from the accessdtv card directly to the tv, will I still need a transcoder if I wanted to view both sources? I haven't read anything about that, it's always VGA to component via a transcoder. I'm not sure technically what RGBHV is compared to component. I know that they are different. But is one better than the other? I'm assuming RGBHV is better, because there is less conversion of the original signal as opposed to a transcoder converting to component. I'm probably wrong on that, so please feel free to correct me.

I transcoder is only needed if you don't have an RGBHV input on your TV. You have an RGBHV input on your TV, so there's no need for the added expense of a transcoder. RGBHV and component are similar in capability, but use different color spaces. A transcoder converts from one color space to the other. Just keep everything RGBHV and you'll be good to go - the VGA output from your video card and the accessDTV card are both RGBHV compatible. The VGA output of the accessDTV can also optionally output component video, but that option isn't needed in your case.
post #904 of 1734 Old 11-14-2003, 11:43 PM

Thanks gsr, I guess I will hold off on the switch for now. Atleast until I can do a little comparison between using the passthrough or not. If I see any noticeable difference, I will get the switch then. I appreciate you help.
post #905 of 1734 Old 11-14-2003, 11:44 PM

Oops...double post.
post #906 of 1734 Old 11-16-2003, 10:15 AM

For photo viewing, I like to crop my pix in photshop to fit my widescreen. What television resolution can/should I drive the viewer application and what image resolution (size and pixel count) would give me the best picture? Would a 1080i still image look good on the screen, or do I need to stick with non-interlaced resolutions?

Skip
post #907 of 1734 Old 11-16-2003, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

I think still images are fine for interlaced resolutions, you don't notice the problems with interlaced with still images. Right?

Go Broncos!
post #908 of 1734 Old 11-16-2003, 03:51 PM

You'd think, but my windows desktop looks like crap at any interlaced resolution. I guess I could get off my lazy butt and just try it out

Skip
post #909 of 1734 Old 11-16-2003, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

My desktop looks ok, just not with moving images at interlaced resolutions. 1080i looks good, I can almost read everything even though it's extremely small, but the desktop itself looks great.

Go Broncos!
post #910 of 1734 Old 11-16-2003, 06:56 PM

Hi folks, I am new to HTPC but having a great time so far.

I recently have built myself a new HTPC and am using the Radeon 9600SE.

I have a Optoma DLP projector with recognizes 1920x1080i @ 33.75khz on my HD inputs.

I can get ZoomPlayer to output at 1920x1080i @ 33.75khz on my VGA 17" Viewsonic and it looks great, but when I try using the DVI output from the Radeon to the Optoma it will not sync up.

I get HD from my other receiver through component at 1920x1080i @ 33.75khz, so was wondering if I am missing something in my configuration?

Any help/tips appreciated as I am still swimming in readme's/faqs/and other voluminous configurations.
post #911 of 1734 Old 11-18-2003, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Why isn't this stuck to the top of this forum?

"Test everything; hold on to the good."
post #912 of 1734 Old 11-18-2003, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Originally posted by eswrite
Why isn't this stuck to the top of this forum?

When I quit moderating, at that time there had been little activity in this thread for some time, so I unstuck it. I'm sure if you contact either PP or Bob Sorel, they will stick it back up top if enough members feel the need to have it there.
Perhaps you could start a poll & see if the need still exists to have it stuck up top.
post #913 of 1734 Old 11-19-2003, 06:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just installed a Radeon 9000 and after reading the eswrite post tried my hand at setting up powerstrip with the xbr910. Overscan in both directions. So I came looking for someone who has found a good resolution for this TV in hopes of pasting-in some tried and true settings. I figured that since this TV can do 720p, that would be the best, but maybe not? My first attempts were going to be without going into the service menu, since I didn't want to mess-up 'regular tv'.

I've been at it for a few hours, but don't see what I'm looking for. Can someone help me out? Thanks.

--Dale--
post #914 of 1734 Old 11-19-2003, 07:10 PM

I am a novice at this and I have read your post regarding tips for the first time user. All instructions start with the Powerstrip menu. In other words getting to the Powerstrip menu is the beginning of getting anything done.
When I execute Powerstrip I never see a menu. Is there something special that needs to be done to get to this point?

I am using the following:

ATI 8500DV
ATI HDTV adapter
Mitsubishi WS-65311 HDTV

Thanks
post #915 of 1734 Old 11-20-2003, 07:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by s_grubbs
When I execute Powerstrip I never see a menu

There should be a small icon near the clock on the task bar - bottom right of your screen (if you have the Windows taskbar where it 'normally' is). Right-click on that bad-boy and you're off to the races.

--Dale--
post #916 of 1734 Old 11-25-2003, 09:59 PM

I've gone through this whole thread and still very confused about 4:3 480I.
Sorry I'm not the most technically savvy guy, but I am trying really hard to understand.

I have a 27inch JVC AV-27430 4:3 non HDTV
ATI 8500LE
ATI DVI Component Dongle

Is there anyway I can get the image non overscaned on this TV, using a specific timing or setting? from what I understand 480I/480P are not the same thing.

The reason for the must use of the dongle is for an output to my mame cab.
There is about 5% Overscan.

Thx Guys,

Any help you can give to this poor soul is very welcomed
post #917 of 1734 Old 11-26-2003, 12:55 AM

Liked: 11
Suckerfish:

If you don't have component inputs (YPbPr), which I personally would not expect to find on a non HDTV ready set, I don't see how you're planning to use the ATI dongle. Sorry!
post #918 of 1734 Old 11-26-2003, 01:04 AM

Zewt what refresh freq are you trying to use? If your proj likes 33.75 scan rate (most hdtv's like 33-34) then the other thing that will bone your sync is your refresh. Try to stay in the 60 range for prog and 30 for interlaced.

To quote Karnis from a previous post :

1920x1080i should be:
33.75KHz
56 HSW
1125 vertical line total
30Hz refresh rate
post #919 of 1734 Old 11-26-2003, 01:41 AM

Yes 33.75, I have been keeping my refresh rates at that when I try new resolutions.

I still cannot get anything to work well except 1024x768. Even though 1920x1080i looks great from my HD receiver.
post #920 of 1734 Old 11-26-2003, 06:10 AM

Guys,

Here is a link to the TV I have

jvc.com/product.jsp?modelId=MODL027041

STD 4:3 480I - 1 component input

I really hope someone can help, thx burticus

Would the new Cat drivers have new overscan rez for 4:3 480I?

Or are there timings someone can help me with?

Thx again!
post #921 of 1734 Old 11-26-2003, 06:13 AM

futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&dept=11&WLBS=fs%2Dweb6&sku_id=0665000FS10027163&catid=&newdeptid=11

Here is the full spec page for the TV

Says 600 lines of resolution, I thought most tvs were 500?
post #922 of 1734 Old 11-26-2003, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Here is a link to the TV I have

jvc.com/product.jsp?modelId=MODL027041

STD 4:3 480I - 1 component input

I really hope someone can help, thx burticus

Would the new Cat drivers have new overscan rez for 4:3 480I?

Or are there timings someone can help me with?

huh?

Dan Bennett

Learning something new every minute.
post #923 of 1734 Old 11-26-2003, 08:49 AM

Check my last post on the previous page

Wondering how to get the dongle to work with 4:3 non hdtv without the overscan problem

Those are my tv specs :P

I hope im making some sense ... how embarrasing
post #924 of 1734 Old 11-26-2003, 11:05 AM

Karnis, is there any way you can make this thread a "sticky" so that it stays at the top of this forum?

I'm always having to dig for it, and by the incredibly high number of views this thread has seen (126,000+ as of today), it only makes sense.

Hint: I found it today by sorting this forum by "Thread Starter" and then scrolled down to the K's.

Thanks,

Dave
post #925 of 1734 Old 11-26-2003, 11:19 AM

suckerfish --

I'm not sure your going to find a lot of help here .. I have never heard of such a thing (component input on a standard tv). component input while it IS analog and it IS capable of displaying 480i so the technology is compatable .. it just is never (or i should say has never) been used this way. Component is for 480p, 720p, 1080i (i..e DTV resolutions) and that is what most if not all others in this forum is using it for.

I would just use the svideo out to your tv and crank the resolution to what you want and resize so no overscan/underscan. Your not going to get much better picture with component 480i and svideo is much easier to adjust via driver tab settings.
post #926 of 1734 Old 11-26-2003, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Karnis,

I was looking for this thread yesterday and couldn't find it.

It should be sticky, thanks.

Good time to buy computers and computer parts: NEVER
post #927 of 1734 Old 11-26-2003, 11:29 AM
Advanced Member

I've seen loads of SD tv's with component video inputs. They were around just as long as HDTV in the states has been around. I think the only advantage is the color separation and am not sure if it will accept progressive inputs only or SD inputs only and furthermore, if there is such a thing as a SD component-video player/STB of any kind. Regardless, they do exist. In fact, when I bought my previous television (Panasonic 32SF36A or something like that), there was a JVC that was in the same price range (just under 1000) that I was eyeing up that DID have component video. Go into BB and look around at the 27-32" tv's. You'll find at least 1.

Dan Bennett

post #928 of 1734 Old 11-26-2003, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member

Actually, now that I think about it. My first DVD player had the component video outputs but was by no means a progressive output. Therefor it is safe to say that these SD TV's with component video inputs most liekly only work with SD component video input devices. I'd be curious to see if one can use the compoennt video outputs on a newer progressive-scan DVD player while the player is in SD mode...

Dan Bennett

post #929 of 1734 Old 11-26-2003, 11:41 AM

Many new tv's use 480I with component inputs, and for all of us trying to build mame cabs with ATI 8500 with component dongles.

There is a pic here of 4:3 480I sdtv using component inputs.

Here is the link

http://www.arcadecontrols.org/yabbse/index.php
board=4;action=display;threadid=4531;start=40

(I'm not trying to forum jump, just get some help)

In threory couldn't we get a way for this to work on 4:3 480I without overscan?

S-video in my opinion for mame is really bad, I can't stand it, kills my eyes
I prefer regular rca inputs :P

You'll all be making many people very happy thx!
post #930 of 1734 Old 11-27-2003, 12:16 AM

Suckerfish:

Ok, after digging I see that it has a YPbPr (compatible) input. What I don't know is if it will do a 480p signal (the website suggests it does, because it mentiones progressive dvd). Considering the price of the TV, I doubt that it's a true progressive input and merely 'accepts' one and converts it into interlace. I have no idea why they would market something like that.

So for grins I'd try something like this :

----------------------------------------------
640x480 in a 540p timing
----------------------------------------------
PowerStrip timing parameters:
640x480=640,50,56,46,480,38,30,14,26730,1

Generic timing details for 640x480:
HFP=50 HSW=56 HBP=46 kHz=34 VFP=38 VSW=30 VBP=14 Hz=60

Although I doubt it will work. You might need to start a dialog with JVC to see what kind of timings it wants.

OH - I doubt the new drivers will do anything either. Sorry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page