Custom Resolution Guide for 1080i HDTV-HTPC-POWERSTRIP-RADEON - Page 55 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1621 of 1734 Old 03-08-2007, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

Joe Q makes a point (don't need pwrstp for rezez anymore) regarding the fact that vid card makers have finally woken up to the fact that their products speed and features are not exclusively of value to Gamers.

I use a PC card vid scaler built late 02. At that time it took an ISF'r to give us scoped settings in Overlay for our ATI cards in combination with Powerstrip and a vga to component transcoder to create a stable 1080i rez.

On the back of Powerstrip, Ashley Seldana has built www.entechtaiwan.com into a multi product company which is positioned to help a broad spectrum of retail as well a programmer needs.

Having used ATI from the getgo as a non gamer, the improovments to their UI for HT clients makes the handshake between pc & display much easier.

BTW for those of you still using component inputs, and even though the newer card don't mention it in their How To, the Component Dongle (with the dip switches) has worked with all cards from the AIW8500dv forward to my present Rad1300.

I plugged in their comp hose once and got icons the size of a lamp. Obviously theirs a way to correct that but if you still have a comp Dongle from either VGA or DVI you may want to try it. The only inconvenience prior to the Catalyst program with the "swap between displays" HotKey was I was unable to use an A/B switch box as with the KD transcoder because the Dongle had to be plugged directly into the card.

I should mention here that I know NVid makes great vid cards for all uses but the convenience of having ATI a short drive from me has hepled out on a number of occaisions.

Next year I'm planning to trade in my behemouth 65" CRT RPTV for a front projector. I hope to continue to use my PC based VidScaler since it still performs the computations that BlackBox scalers do but I noticed a significant increase in PQ when I went from the 8500dv to the 850. I now have the 1300 and feel that a 1080p native display will be an interesting challenge for the next gen of Vid Cards.

Peter M.

dyslexia "for a cure found"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1622 of 1734 Old 03-12-2007, 04:23 PM

I have a HDTV Panasonic tv but when I hook up my ATI 1600 pro card through a dvi connection , the display is cut off a little on the bottom and top. Also on both sides , it is no more than 1/4 of an inch but regardless of the resolution and video card setting I cannot get it right. Would Power Strip be my choice of software to resolve this issue.
post #1623 of 1734 Old 03-12-2007, 06:41 PM

You can adjust this in the ATI "Catalyst Control Center" now.

-Jay

post #1624 of 1734 Old 03-14-2007, 09:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Update: 4/7/07 -- Well, crap -- Did a little checking, and noticed that the DALCVunderscan registry hack detailed farther below causes (probably undesireable) pixel mapping changes to occur vs the "standard"(or catylast "created" custom resolutions) 1080i/720p resolutions ... Update 4/13/07 - Thinking about it more, I suppose that's not a big issue for my particular display, so for now I'll have to live with it, as I find it more tolerable than the alternative with the underscan ....

Although another option for me would be to set overscan as desired in display's service menu, the problem with that is, with this display, I can't do that seperately for the input used for HTPC input -- So, If I were to say, set IT at say, 0%, that would give me 5% overscan for my other HD sources(HD STB), or DVD player/etc ... 5% is not to bad, but for various reasons, I actually need a bit of overscan for my HTPC input(DV CRT's do not have "perfect" screen geometry) and would actually prefer the HTPC overscan to be at about 4%, which would give me WAY too much overscan(about 9%) for my other devices!!! Aaargh!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Using X1600 and A/V out to component(Y,Pb, Pr) dongle I noticed :

#1). On at least one of my HD sets(Toshiba 34HF84 - DV-CRT, with a genesis/farojuda proccessor in it), trying to set *ANY* custom "HD" Resolution with Catalyst results in the display "thinking" it's a 480i signal. And therefore the display is scaling those custom resolutions(say 1776x1000, or 1912x1076) to 480i, and also is, for example, using the color decoder settings+color matrix as I have it set up in its service menu for 480i signals vs. what is needed/what I have set up for 720p or 1080i signals ...

In other words, with this set, If it isn't *exactly* 1920x1080 or 1280x720, I get 480i instead on screen .... as you might imagine that just won't work for me ..... And, in this case it's also not possible via it's service menu to set up *different* Overscan/underscan settings on one component input vs. another, or for that matter for any input -- On this set, Those particular settings are global to all inputs(except perhaps HDMI input, I haven't checked that one yet) - which usually isn't a problem, as most equipment actually does output pretty much, a properly formatted signal, such that every DVD player, analog VCR, satellite receiver, HD Receiver/STB I've ever used has pretty much had output which matches each other "overscan/underscan wise" ....

So, More importantly :

#2) I noticed using Catalyst "1080i30 standard", or "720pstandard" settings that the component video output from the card was roughly 4~5% underscanned vs. other HD sources(HD STB's/ATSC receivers, internal test pattern generator on one set - Sony KD34XBR960) I've had hooked to 2 different sets --- EXCEPT *temporarily* only when you press the "add" button in Catalyst/Component Video properties/advanced to "set up" a customized "resolution" --- For example, I could press the "add" button(leaving the "white" - accept/cancel "customized resolution screen up on the 2nd, HD display) play a HD MPG file(via VMR7 overlay onto the 2nd, HD display, therefore covering up the "White Custom resolution setting/adjustment screen"), and during that time(until I stop the playback+restart it, at which time it would begin underscanning again) it would "magically" match the overscan of other HD sources I use (HD STB's/etc) ....

So, I did a little digging, and found that setting the binary values for the following registry Keys to "all zeros"(as shown) results in the X1600 outputting a "properly formatted for a TV/HDTV" 1920x1080x30hz, 1280x720p, or for that matter a 1920x1080x60hz signal (using those "standard" resolutions exactly via the catalyst desktop settings, or applying the 108030i or 72060p "standard" settings from Component video properties) -- or in other words, so that the overscan/underscan that results exactly(pretty much) matches other sources of HD (HD STB's/etc) I can/have hooked up to these sets ...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SYSTEM\\CurrentControlSet\\Control\\Vide o\\{F8CCD589-731B-4F2B-9554-B899BDB7541B}\\0000\\DALCVUnderscan1920x1080x1920x1080x0x0

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SYSTEM\\CurrentControlSet\\Control\\Vide o\\{F8CCD589-731B-4F2B-9554-B899BDB7541B}\\0000\\DALCVUnderscan1280x720x1280x720x0x0

The values for those I have set up with sixteen "sets" of zeros - like so :

00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

Note that the registry entries in CurrentControlSet\\Control\\Video\\{******]\\000[x]\\ beginning with "DALCVUnderscan" will only be present if you have previously used one of the preset "underscan" modes in Catalyst(1776x1000 or 1152x648), and presumably are using Component video out from a dongle attached to the card.

I've tested this with both 7.1+7.2 Catalyst/driver releases+ it works, haven't checked earlier versions(although I've noted the problem exists at least as far back as 6.4), but suspect it probably would work back to at least version 6.4. update - Almost forgot - Except, if I recall correctly I don't think it worked for 1920x1080x60HZ with 7.2 (it does with 7.1 which is what I'm using, currently)

Changing those to "all zeros" doesn't seem to effect/cause any problems for any "customized" modes you set up *after* you change it to zeros - I don't know about before -- Setting customized resolutions later may(probably will+did when I tested it) change some of those zeros to something else -- However, that did not "undo" the underscan fix for the 1920x1080x30hz or 60hz or 1280x720p "standard" resolution settings by adding the zeros --

Also, I noticed that I really only had to change *only* the "tenth" value(10th set of values out of the 16) in the string to Zero to apply the fix for either "DALCVunderscan1920x1080x1920x1080x0x0", or DALCVunderscan1280x720x1280x720x0x0. But, doing so made the other values pretty "useless" for any control of anything ... It was like a "off on" switch - change the 10th set of values from the default of "06" to "00" (or say, change the 2nd value in the string to "08" instead of the default "00" for that value) and I got proper "overscan" and screen posistioning that matches output of other HD sources I have(HD STB/etc). At one point, I tried to figure out what each value did, and for instance, changing the first value of "4c" to "00" appeared to be a horizontal posistioning adjustment -- however, setting other values to say "00" (such as the 10th value, or say, changing "00" to "08" for the 2nd value in the string) made any adjustment to any other value apparently do nothing whatsoever, which turned out to not be necessary in any shape or form anyway ...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It seems to me that, at least for component video out via the A/V to component dongle, ATI is likely purposely setting up their drivers/catylast to *improperly* underscan the signals (and that's the case for 480i/p with the "standard" settings from catylast as well), probably so that people with TV's that overscan will be able to still see the "start menu"/etc. on their 2nd display when using "clone" or "stretch" modes ...

But, I wonder, why couldn't they at least have added a little "checkbox" in Catalyst control center to "fix it"(for 1080i/p, 720p AND 480i/p signals) for those of us who want to send *Properly formatted* Video signals to our HD sets(with the resolution+timings that are standard for HDTV - just like HD STB's, SD satellite, SD cable boxes, VCR's,/etc/etc/etc for OTA, satellite+cable do?), or for that matter any set with component video input ! If I want 0% overscan, I'll adjust the set or the monitor, I don't want the output from the video source(in this case the X1600) sending an underscanned signal to my HDTV when I choose the "1920x1080i standard" in CCC !!!! (sorry for the rant, this has been a frustrating issue for me to figure out! )

-----------------------------------------------

Anyway, the above fix works for me for 720p+1080i, but not for the underscan that is output by the card via component video via the A/V out component dongle with 480i+480p signals -- I can't seem to find a registry fix for this for 480i/p ... --- which of course include when you have catalyst setup for 1080i/720p output on the HD display for playback of HD signals, but when you're nevertheless playing back DVD's at 480i/p or say, recordings from a 480i ATSC source - as it "switches" to outputting 480i/p for those(and the display switches to scanning 480i/p as well) ...

So, unfortunetly, I haven't found a way to fix this problem yet for 480i or 480p signals other than to use a inconvienent workaround by switching to using a Catalyst "customized" so-called "underscanned"(funny how without the registry fix above, 1920x1080i "standard" is "underscan" but a "custom" 1912x1076 is OVERscanned, lol) 1080i or 720p format(even 1912x1076 works for proper "overscan" for 480i signals --- say a DVD "played back" at 480i when you have catalyst set up for 1912x1076) .... as, for example the overscan/underscan control available for a "generic Television" via S-video or composite" isn't available in Catalyst for component video .... Such a workaround is inconvienient, as at least in my case, I need to switch back to using the "standard" 1080i/720p with the registry fixed mentioned above to watch HDTV w/o the display scaling the customized resolution to 480i as described earlier .....

If Anyone does find a way to do this for 480i/p (I don't think powerstrip works for the Component dongle, If I correctly read earlier posts in this thread about it), I'd certianly appreciate hearing about it! Thanks!

--------------

Update 3/26/07 -- Thought I should mention that I have noticed setting up custom resolutions in CCC *does* work just fine on my setup with VMR9, and the display "sees it" as a 1080i or 720p "signal"(more or less) -- but, with VMR7(which is what I'm preffering for the most part for my purposes and "standard" overlay, what I described above is still correct+I need to use the registry hack I discoverd .... My display's hardware is "seeing"(or scaling) any of the custom resolutions sent by the card as 480i, and thus displaying it as 480i on screen ...

Jeff
post #1625 of 1734 Old 03-18-2007, 11:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Karnis did us a GREAT favr way back when, when he started this cutsom T&R sticky.

I know that personally, if it were not for his Direct help, I never would have gotten my Radeon to display diddly on my then Mitsubishi 46" HD RPTV.

So I want to offer my sincere thank you.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Folks reading this are probably wondering where this message is heading and here goes.

I preface all that I say below as this is MY opinion and WILL have some inaccuracies.

I could write a book on this subject because there is so much data now but the smart folks in here don't need all that. They just need a quick refresher of 'current state of the art'

With the passage of time, a lot of great things have happened on the CE front to make our lives alot easier in setting up a working HTPC.

Televisions:
All TV's sold today provide at least one HDMI input and if not , they provide at least one DVI input.

Examples: Vizio 47" (HDMI),Maxent 32" LCD (HDMI) ,Zenith Z50PX2D 50'' Plasma (DVI only)
I picked those models because you do NOT need to spend BIG bucks for full featured TV's. You just need the $$ for great PQ

Receivers:
All the major players produce receivers that will allow one to switch 'many to one' component inputs as well as 'Many to one' HDMI inputs.

Examples:
Yamaha,Denon 887,Denon 2807,...

and the list goes on.

With the advent pf the ubiqitous DVI/HDMI INterface, Video Card companies such as Nvidia are making a reference desgin that support Interfacing your PC with one of these TV's.

The exciting part is that the hassle of getting custom T&R's to work is now a thing of the past and does not cost much at all
I am a SW engineer and this remimds me so much of the early days when the advent of modern programming languages turned programming away from being an ART.

The ART was prgramming in Assembly Language and it really weeded out those who did not have the apptitude for programming.
That is why it reminds me of Custom T&R's because that is an ART that takes a lot of time to do and one must realy understand what they are doing.
Custom T&R's are not like that abomination ,VB ,where you point and click and out pops a buggy program

To give an example of the simplicitly and cheapness of how things have become, I have 2 PC's connected to 2 HDTV's

#1 is a 720P 50" Zenith Plasma. I have an EVGA Geforce 6500 that one can pick up for $45 these days and is connected via DVI to the Zenith.
I pulled up the TV wizard and it detected a "Zenith PDP" and it let me set this to 720P.
Thjere was no overscan BUT the included device driver has a tool that allows one to resize (shrinkor grow) the picture in both dimensions in case there is some oversan and have it stick between reboots

#2 is a 1080P 52" Sharp LCD. I have a PNY Geforce 7200 GT (paid a lot more for this because VISTA recommended it)
The TV is recognized as a "SHARP HDMI" from the Nvidia control panel.

The control Panel gave me a list of the standard HDTV timings to choose from and it let me set the picture to 1902x1080 Progressive!!

I have not had to correct for any overscan and the Windows Destop display at 1080P is Astonishing. I can get 2 inches away and see no flaws.

OT, I know, but anyway - I have never been into computer games because they always looked cruddy to me. Lousy resolution and they all looked like cartoons.
I am in the middle of downloading a demo of a 1080P game that an avsforum member suggested to me to try out since my attitiude about games may have just been changed

Summary:
I purposely ignored other aspects of HTPC's such as audio,IR control.etc. since this thread is about getting the HDTV to display properly from an HTPC.

At the risk of annoying some folks, After having just described all the advances that I talked about in this post and after giving 2 examples of how simple TV connectivity has become , I am left wondering why people keep fighting the T&R battle?

I must be missing something and it would be appreciated if thoughts/comments were posted in

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&#post10060154

Sure I talked about Modern HDTV's but I am sure that If I had still had my 2003 46" MITS 1080i RPTV, I could have gotten it to display properly today without barttling with custom T&R's.

Here is a quick 5 minute study that I just did to see if that statement is true.

That 2003 MITS TV supported RGBHV, Component and VGA. Forget the VGA because it was limited to 640x480 BUT:

For the RGBHV inputs, I would try this:
http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=3178

and I bet the Nvidia driver would have given me a choice of 1080i or 480P

For the Component Inputs, I would try this:
http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=3178

and I bet the Nvidia driver would have given me a choice of 1080i or 480P

Granted , one could do Better wIith price and cable types,etc. . but I ONLY allowed myself 5 minutes to see what I coulld come up with.

I understand that people use Custom T&R's to try to get 540P (aka 1080I only progessive).

I was one of those that used Karnis's greate Custom T&R guides back when I had that Mits TV.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sounds GREAT but what my about my Older TV that is limited in their display abilties

You could still use the cabling that I indicated above and stay with the mode that the TV supports eg. 1080i

OR, read on:

All of the discussion that I have had so far have been with using the Nvidia Control Panel's 'Idiot Proof' HDTV wizard.

Nvidia Control Panel does have another mode that lets you have more control over the TV signal and hence it is a type of a Power Strip for Custom T&R's.

I tried it recently with my 720P Zenith and was able to finagle a bunch of 'custom T&Rs out of it.

Joe
post #1626 of 1734 Old 03-24-2007, 06:37 PM

Sorry if this is too noobish of a problem....
I have a Dell GX620 with an ATI Radeon X600 card.
I am trying to connect it, via ATI's DVI-to-Component dongle, to a Sony WEGA KV-32XBR400 CRT 4:3/HDTV set.
No matter what I do, all I get is gibberish on the screen. Setting it to 640x480 is a bit better, but that is all relative.
Has anyone gotten this type of setup to work, and can I use Powerstrip to fix this problem?
I am still not sure I have the right adapter, but this is one of the options ATI gave me.

Thanks!
post #1627 of 1734 Old 03-26-2007, 09:13 AM

Hi. I have a similar problem to the poster above. I have a Vista HTPC connected to my Sony KDF-55WF655. My video card is a Radeo X1950Pro. Each edge of the desktop extends slightly beyond the HDTV screen. I thought this could be corrected by adjusting the overscan, but when I bring up the Catalyst Control Center, it is in basic mode and there are no overscan controls. There are also no buttons visible for switching to advanced mode. I am using the most recent Vista drivers and Catalyst Control Center. I was hoping to be able to make the adjustments from within Catalyst, rather than messing around with Powerstrip.

Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Kevin
post #1628 of 1734 Old 03-26-2007, 02:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hi,

Back in 2001 I decided I wanted to connect my PC to HDTV. Everyone suggested Pwerstrp to give nice tigt reses. I also needed a cable which would do VGA to Component since my tv is analog. For $143.00US I bought a VGAS to component connector. IT DID NOT WORK

Anyone who has an ATI card should purchase their Component Dongle preferably DVI. ATI siggests it doeant work with the newer cards and provides a hose.

I found the hose iommediately created huge icons & ovescan so I went back to the Dongle in combination with pwrstrip and =catal;yst program.

What these plugs do in the analog world is transcode the PC signal to component.

My set only has component so I can't commrnt on DVI.

I use the HOLO3D vid scaler in my PC and have always had succes using the ATI Plug (make sure to turn off 540p) on the dongle.

Good luck,
Peter M.

dyslexia "for a cure found"
post #1629 of 1734 Old 05-01-2007, 09:47 PM

Hi, sorry if this sounds pathetic, but powerstrip looks scary... i already made my monitor do some strange things. and i'm not game to yet connect it to my TV... what i'm trying to do is connect my new HTPC to my rear-projection 1080i Toshiba 57VW9UA. I have been told that powerstrip can make amazing improvements to PQ. Is there someone out there that has the timings for this model RPTV? or, is there a link to a primer of some sort anyone has come across on the web? Thanks in anticipation.
Wal
post #1630 of 1734 Old 05-02-2007, 05:32 AM

I have posted several times before that I use the ATI component dongle and had better results with component, and I would like to update/change that. Over time my picture has gotten worse and I couldn't figure out why, it was to the point where I was about to have someone come out and look at my tv. Then while changing the component cables out to see if that was the problem (last ditch effort), I saw that one of the connectors on the dongle was loose, it was basically coming apart.

So since I didn't have another dongle, I grabbed a dvi cable, and hooked up my mitsubishi rptv that way. After quick adjustments (using the stock ATI software --- no powerstrip---) I now have a MUCH better picture than I have ever had. Some more work with Avia showed me that the picture adjustments (color, contrast, sharpness) were different for the dvi input, which I believe was my problem previously. Now adjusted properly, the interlacing at 30hz is much less noticeable, colors are better, and the picture is more crisp and clear than it ever has been. I am amazed at how much better it looks.

-Jay

-Jay
post #1631 of 1734 Old 05-17-2007, 03:16 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
has anyone been able to get a setup of 1920x1080i@60hz to work with a Samsung hln4365w? the preset that they have in the catalyst control center @30hz has a too much flicker. and i'm a big noob with powerstrip and htpc scene. i've tried a few things with no success. thank god the 3 key combo to get back to the default setup. thanks in advance for any input
post #1632 of 1734 Old 06-23-2007, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitewatchman View Post

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SYSTEM\\CurrentControlSet\\Control\\Vide o\\{F8CCD589-731B-4F2B-9554-B899BDB7541B}\\0000\\DALCVUnderscan1920x1080x1920x1080x0x0

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SYSTEM\\CurrentControlSet\\Control\\Vide o\\{F8CCD589-731B-4F2B-9554-B899BDB7541B}\\0000\\DALCVUnderscan1280x720x1280x720x0x0

The values for those I have set up with sixteen "sets" of zeros - like so :

Note that the registry entries in CurrentControlSet\\Control\\Video\\{******]\\000[x]\\ beginning with "DALCVUnderscan" will only be present if you have previously used one of the preset "underscan" modes in Catalyst(1776x1000 or 1152x648), and presumably are using Component video out from a dongle attached to the card.

You saved me man!
post #1633 of 1734 Old 07-09-2007, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Q View Post

To give an example of the simplicitly and cheapness of how things have become, I have 2 PC's connected to 2 HDTV's

#1 is a 720P 50" Zenith Plasma. I have an EVGA Geforce 6500 that one can pick up for $45 these days and is connected via DVI to the Zenith.
I pulled up the TV wizard and it detected a "Zenith PDP" and it let me set this to 720P.
Thjere was no overscan BUT the included device driver has a tool that allows one to resize (shrinkor grow) the picture in both dimensions in case there is some oversan and have it stick between reboots

#2 is a 1080P 52" Sharp LCD. I have a PNY Geforce 7200 GT (paid a lot more for this because VISTA recommended it)
The TV is recognized as a "SHARP HDMI" from the Nvidia control panel.

The control Panel gave me a list of the standard HDTV timings to choose from and it let me set the picture to 1902x1080 Progressive!!

I have not had to correct for any overscan and the Windows Destop display at 1080P is Astonishing. I can get 2 inches away and see no flaws.

OT, I know, but anyway - I have never been into computer games because they always looked cruddy to me. Lousy resolution and they all looked like cartoons.
I am in the middle of downloading a demo of a 1080P game that an avsforum member suggested to me to try out since my attitiude about games may have just been changed

Question for JoeQ: Do you know which nVidia-based cards have the capabilities you've noted above? I'm thinking of an EVGA 7600GT (this exact card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130073 ), but it's hard to find any definitive answer about exactly what capabilities the nVidia drivers will allow. I've read numerous posts that say the newer 8xxx series cards do NOT have the simple adjustments you've noted ... and all I care about for the HTPC I'm building is a reasonable and EASY-to-Adjust card. I'll be connecting it to the HDMI input on a Sony A2020, so it will definitely need some compensation for the overscan.

By the way ... how'd the game demo go? Are you now playing games on your HDTV?? ... and if so, were there any video issues generated by the games??
post #1634 of 1734 Old 09-13-2007, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
My new Nvidia 8400 card with very latest drivers (XP) will not let me select the custom resolution I need for my CRT RPTV (1350x1080), so I'm going to swap it out with the 7600GT i'm using on this machine as soon as I finish this post and see if that will work. it never ends...
post #1635 of 1734 Old 09-13-2007, 03:22 PM

ok, was able to get 1350x1080 with the 7600GT, but somehow this isn't even remotely close to what I need. I need to learn more before posting. may not even be the right resolution for my TV - just what one person posted. sorry if this is a Radeon thread, one person was asking about this card and wanted to help.
post #1636 of 1734 Old 09-13-2007, 06:22 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1289 Post(s)
Liked: 1352
Quote:
Originally Posted by mingus View Post

ok, was able to get 1350x1080 with the 7600GT, but somehow this isn't even remotely close to what I need. I need to learn more before posting. may not even be the right resolution for my TV - just what one person posted. sorry if this is a Radeon thread, one person was asking about this card and wanted to help.

See this thread (I think post #85 is probably the most comprehensive) for some info you'll probably find useful with your GeForce card, assuming you can sort through the too many cooks trying to cook different things .

It would probably also be useful to be more specific about which brand and model of RPTV you're working with. Note that custom timings that work on my Mitsubishi may not work on other brands/models.
post #1637 of 1734 Old 09-15-2007, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

See this thread (I think post #85 is probably the most comprehensive) for some info you'll probably find useful with your GeForce card, assuming you can sort through the too many cooks trying to cook different things .

It would probably also be useful to be more specific about which brand and model of RPTV you're working with. Note that custom timings that work on my Mitsubishi may not work on other brands/models.

Its an Hitachi 51F59A set. I spent quite a bit of time with it today and have some screen captures of various screens etc. with the "older" 7600GT card I was able to select 1350 x 1080 but it only stays a short time, looks very smooth and sharp but *way* larger than my screen.

there are so many settings it's mind boggling. bits per pixel?

The Newer 8400GS card would not allow the change to custom resolution.

Going to research ATI cards.
post #1638 of 1734 Old 09-16-2007, 05:34 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1289 Post(s)
Liked: 1352
Quote:
Originally Posted by mingus View Post

Its an Hitachi 51F59A set. I spent quite a bit of time with it today and have some screen captures of various screens etc. with the "older" 7600GT card I was able to select 1350 x 1080 but it only stays a short time, looks very smooth and sharp but *way* larger than my screen.

there are so many settings it's mind boggling. bits per pixel?

The Newer 8400GS card would not allow the change to custom resolution.

Going to research ATI cards.

Quite honestly, ATI cards will just present you with a different (or possibly the same) set of problems. The 7600GT and 8400GS cards should both be capable of doing what you need if you're patient enough to work things out. With the ATI cards, you most likely will also need to get Powerstrip to get to where you presumably want to be as the custom resolution capabilities in ATI's control panel are not as advanced as in the GeForce control panel (I have 1 system with a GeForce card and 3 systems with ATI cards).
post #1639 of 1734 Old 09-26-2007, 12:05 PM

can a custom refresh rate be added to the standard display control panel without powerstrip?
post #1640 of 1734 Old 09-26-2007, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susu2k View Post

can a custom refresh rate be added to the standard display control panel without powerstrip?

Not that I am aware of.

Not sure why you would need one though... I gave up on powerstrip a *long* time ago. You can adjust the resolution in the ATI control panel as much as you want now.

-Jay
post #1641 of 1734 Old 10-18-2007, 05:18 PM

Hey Guys,

Need a little help here: I got a new projector and I'm using a notebook PC with ATI mobility radeon 9700 (latest Omega Driver + powerstrip) connected through DVI-to-HDMI to the projector.
The native resolution of the projector is 1280x720 and it works fine at 60 Hz or 50 Hz (respectively for watching NTSC and PAL DVDs)

Now I'm trying to find a way to output at 48 or 72 Hz, for 'true' 24 fps.
The projector is presumably capable or synchronizing at 48 Hz, but so far I could not find the right parameters in powerstrip to make it work.

What should I try?
What is the correct way of tweaking and testing frequencies with powerstrip?
There are so many parameters in powerstrip,so many possible combinations and I'm lost...
post #1642 of 1734 Old 10-23-2007, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitewatchman View Post

... HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SYSTEM\\CurrentControlSet\\Control\\Vide o\\{F8CCD589-731B-4F2B-9554-B899BDB7541B}\\0000\\DALCVUnderscan1920x1080x1920x1080x0x0

... The values for those I have set up with sixteen "sets" of zeros - like so :

I would like to thank you for that. I just swapped my old crt based RPHDTV for a Toshiba 40RF350U, which has a native 1920x1080 display mode. When I switched from my old 1696x960 custom setting to 1920x10980, my ATI x1900GT was underscanning. Your fix worked, and got rid of the underscan.

To add to your gem, I had a lot of video keys from several driver re-installs and updates. I determined the current primary video display (I only have the HDTV hooked up), by looking in:

HKey_Local_Machine\\Hardware\\DeviceMap\\Video

and got the GUID (global unique identifier assigned by Windows), which is the long string in brackets { } at the end of the entry "\\device\\video0".
post #1643 of 1734 Old 10-24-2007, 04:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReaper View Post

I would like to thank you for that.

Your Welcome, Glad it was of some use

Should say, I "switched" from using Component to DVI (using DVI to HDMI cable+HDMI input on the Toshiba 34HF84), btw, and the problem "went away" for me/I can now use the "custom resolutions" in Catayst control to control the under/overscanning ... my guess is, Apparently, it's "finding" the EDID info/etc for the display via the DVI/HDMI connection which it didn't find via a component connection through the "dongle" ....

Jeff
post #1644 of 1734 Old 10-29-2007, 02:22 PM

I have the Sharp Aquos LC-46D64U from the FF sale they had and just recently built a HTPC.

I am using the Abit F-I90 HD M/B and it let me select 1920x1080 in the settings for the onboard graphics. I am using the built in hdmi connection too. The problem is it doesn't quite look right, the screen has like a 2 inch border with no picture around it so it is not using the full screen. And it does not look as sharp as a hidef tv show and the colors seem a little over saturated. Also I see the sharp show it as 1080p when the abit MB says it only does 1080i output on the hdmi.

Anyone use the LC-46D64U tv and hooked it up via hdmi have any pointers? This was/is my first HTPC build.
post #1645 of 1734 Old 10-30-2007, 03:19 AM

NO I managed to blank out my screen and I can not get into powerstrip to fix it. As soon as I go into it it sets me to a custom setting and the screen goes blank. Is there a way to disable this so I can go in and try another setting?
post #1646 of 1734 Old 11-04-2007, 02:18 PM

OK I'm tired, after trying for 2 days, I still cannot get my Sony 40S200 TV show full screen with my MSI 2600XT

The Sony KDL-40S2000 specified the 1360x768 as supported resolution, it worked fine with my NVIDIA 7600GT, now I just got a MSI 2600XT, the only thing I can get is 1280x768, if I select 1360x768, I get blank screen.

I installed the Powerstrip, and tried those pre-defined 1360x... settings, none of them worked.

Can someone give me a clue, which setting may work? I read from somewhere else, somebody said it worked with the following Linus Modeline, but how can I convert this into the Powerstrip parameters?

HorizSync 30-66
VertRefresh 30-61
Modeline "1360x768" 85.500 1360 1432 1544 1792 768 771 777 795

ToLive
post #1647 of 1734 Old 11-07-2007, 03:17 AM

I Like this posting.
post #1648 of 1734 Old 11-12-2007, 01:17 PM

Hey guys, I'm sort of new to the whole HTPC thing and have recently built and installed a rig to play DVD's and (hopefully) record HD shows through the firewire port of my Comcast STB.

So far most of the little problems I've had are fixed. One of the issues I was having at first was being able to get the right resolution for my HDTV (a Philips 30PW8402 30" CRT) using HDMI from the onboard video of my motherboard. At first the picture was horribly distorted and discolored and looked to be damaging my TV in fact. I was able to run a program called MonInfo.exe or something and it gave me some recommended resolutions and timings to try. 2 of them were 1920x1080 (30hz & 60hz), and one was 720x480. I decided to go with 720x480 because putting it at 1920x1080 froze the computer and made everyone unreadable on the screen (I guess that'll happen at such a resolution)

My query is this: DVD's I play on my HTPC don't look very good compared to the upconverting DVD player I used beforehand. Does this have something to do with the resolution of my screen, or should that be an independent variable that video players can technically overstep? Or do you think I could need an actual video card in order to really up the detail of my video? Because from what I understood onboard video with a good processor would be enough to push even HD content, so I wasn't afraid of not having enough power to simply "sharpen" regular DVDs.

Sorry if my question seems a little vague, but what I'm getting at here I guess is can Powerstrip be used to sharpen the detail of my video without using a true video card? I'm pretty dumb when it comes to it and only really used the program to set my resolution, so I have no idea about timings and what-not, but the MonInfo.exe program I used gave me a lot of info on my TV. It looks like some of it can pertain to the timings and whatnot in Powerstrip, can someone confirm this or offer a tutorial for calibrating a TV using the app? Hopefully I'm not having misconceptions over this, I'm just eager to know all I can about HTPCs and Vista so I can find my way out of problems on my own in the future.

Thanks in advance.
post #1649 of 1734 Old 11-15-2007, 04:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Wow...its amazing this thread still exists!
post #1650 of 1734 Old 11-15-2007, 10:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

This is one of the most useful threads on AVS...

Thanks, Karnis.

Diogen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page