Budget HTPC for local content only - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-26-2015, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Budget HTPC for local content only

Hi,
I am looking to build a budget HTPC to basically just play movies offline with a external hard drive. (do not need access to any other online tv or streaming capabilities) I already have an apple tv and fire TV at home that I use to stream content across my network... but I am looking to build a small htpc that I could set up with my external drive and movies to work without internet to make the wife happy (she gets frustrated when there is any delay or the network causes problems) but also I would like for this to be portable, and allow me to take it in our camper when we go on road trips, and clearly I dont have internet there- nor a way to have my network set up to stream to things like my fire tv.

I have been looking around- and while I used to be a computer nerd, I am clearly now only a nerd because as I read I realize I know next to nothing of this generations options. I am tech savy enough that looking at the guides I could get open elec running on a re-purposed chromebox- I just dont know if that would be the best solution or if there would be something else cheaper or better for me to use if I only want to play movies off a hard drive.

Thanks for any advice.

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-27-2015, 04:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I would say to install KODI on your FireTV and you can use that, but I think it fails if you are not internet connected even though you only want to play local content. But since you have one, you can solve your home solution that way.

Cheapest solution is probably a Raspberry PI2 with OpenELEC (KODI) installed.. total about $70 after you buy SD card, & remote,. If you want to spend more consider a Chromebox and install KODI (see their wiki/forum) That'll run you closer to $160
post #3 of 5 Old 07-27-2015, 05:57 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by veldrake View Post
Hi,
I am looking to build a budget HTPC to basically just play movies offline with a external hard drive. (do not need access to any other online tv or streaming capabilities) I already have an apple tv and fire TV at home that I use to stream content across my network... but I am looking to build a small htpc that I could set up with my external drive and movies to work without internet to make the wife happy (she gets frustrated when there is any delay or the network causes problems) but also I would like for this to be portable, and allow me to take it in our camper when we go on road trips, and clearly I dont have internet there- nor a way to have my network set up to stream to things like my fire tv.

I have been looking around- and while I used to be a computer nerd, I am clearly now only a nerd because as I read I realize I know next to nothing of this generations options. I am tech savy enough that looking at the guides I could get open elec running on a re-purposed chromebox- I just dont know if that would be the best solution or if there would be something else cheaper or better for me to use if I only want to play movies off a hard drive.

Thanks for any advice.

Matt

I loaded our laptop's 500Gb drive with all of our kids' movies for my son to watch during a long road trip we recently took. We used windows media center for it. A charge lasted about a day, so we just plugged it in whenever we had a chance. It worked out pretty well. I like to try to use the tech I have on hand rather than running out and buying some niche thing that scratches whatever the particular itch is.
post #4 of 5 Old 07-27-2015, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked: 155
I bought a little bare-bones PC during a sale at Fry's, cost me $70. I put an old laptop hard drive in it, 2GB of RAM I had laying around, installed OpenELEC, and away I went. Has been working flawlessly.
post #5 of 5 Old Today, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think a little bare bones system might be my ticket. Or maybe I will try out a chromebox to run openelec.... decisions decisions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers