Desktop support question - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-16-2015, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Desktop support question

Last night I left my desktop on to finish a Handbrake encoding queue of 6 or 7 DVDs and when I woke up this morning the computer was off, even though Handbrake was set on "do nothing". Then it wouldn't power on. Checked to make sure it was plugged in to the UPS securely, and the UPS to the wall outlet, etc. Still nothing. Opened it up, checked all internal connections from the PSU, etc. Still nothing. Then I tried clearing CMOS and this time it started to power on for just a second and then died again. Finally I removed the motherboard battery and cleared CMOS again and this time when I powered on I got a CPU over-voltage error, press F1 to enter BIOS setup, but when I did that I only got BIOS up for a second or two before everything shut down.

Googling around a bit it sounds like this is most likely a problem with the power supply however I've also seen recommendations to re-apply CPU thermal paste and cooler in case overheating is the culprit. My question is where should I start? I don't have another PSU lying around but if the safest course is to start with that then I suppose I don't mind having another one around as a spare if the problem turns out to be something else. I just want to make sure I don't fry my processor (or hopefully anything else) if I haven't already.

Components:
board: ASUS H97M-plus
CPU: i7-4790
PSU: Cooler Master V550 Gold
RAM: G Skill Ripjaws X 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-16-2015, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Fried PSU is primary suspect, I would quess. It is possible that motherboard or even CPU is gone too, though.
That DVD encoding queue has put 4790´s all cores 100% for extended period of time (many hours), drawing power and generating heat so much that something finally snapped. Extreme CPU-stress, almost like running Prime95 for that long... was it (4790) overclocked? Intel´s emergency thermal shutdown should have been worked and prevented its suicide, if accident was triggered by CPU overheating. That is, of course, if you have not bypassed that mechanism from BIOS by OC´ings... motherboard is in danger zone too in this kind of situation.

So, for starters, begin troubleshootings with new PSU.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-18-2015, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sladi75 View Post
So, for starters, begin troubleshootings with new PSU.
Thanks. Installed a new PSU yesterday and was able to boot up just fine. When I did I noticed that the Handbrake queue had completed. So whatever caused it to die before, it wasn't with the CPU pegged but after that when it wouldn't have been doing anything. Anyway, left it on at that point since I was planning to go back and run some diagnostics then just got sidetracked with other things. When I did go back after several hours, it was the same thing as before: the computer was powered off and wouldn't power on again.

So I still don't know what's going on but at least now I know the problem isn't the power supply. So I'm RMA'ing the motherboard and will hope that takes care of it.

If anyone else has experienced anything like this or has any other thoughts or suggestions, let me know. Thanks.
post #4 of 6 Old 08-19-2015, 08:36 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJimador View Post
So I'm RMA'ing the motherboard and will hope that takes care of it.
Yes. Replacing mobo would be my next move too. Sorry to hear faulting component wasn´t PSU.
Those kind of hardware problems are sometimes tricky i.e quite a quess work to locate without full computer lab / repair workshop testing spare parts selection.
post #5 of 6 Old 08-19-2015, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 736 Post(s)
Liked: 684
It might be a bad UPS.
post #6 of 6 Old Today, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
It might be a bad UPS.
No. That might explain the computer powering off on it's own (if there was an outage while I was out and the battery backup didn't kick in). But it wouldn't explain why the computer wouldn't power back up again afterward. Besides, I was home both times it powered off on it's own and there weren't any outages.

Hopefully the replacement motherboard will fix the problem, if I ever see it from Asus. I submitted the advance RMA on Tues and they tell me they're still checking if they have a replacement in stock. Not that I didn't expect it. I got the same foot-dragging and generally incompetent support when I had to RMA my monitor with them too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page