Effective backups for Windows 7 Media Center with copy-protected recordings? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old Yesterday, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Effective backups for Windows 7 Media Center with copy-protected recordings?

My Windows 7 HTPC uses a HDHomeRun Prime with CableCard to record cable TV channels. I have the OS installed on a 64GB SSD and a larger spinning hard drive for recordings.

From what I've read around the web, I understand that the OS partition must be disk imaged and restored in order to preserve the ability to watch copy-protected shows after the disk is formatted, and after restoration I will only be able to view the recordings that were made before the disk image. I also understand that moving all the disks to a new computer won't enable the protected recordings to be viewed on that other computer.

However, I still have a couple questions on some points that I'm not 100% sure of.

If the disk with the OS is replaced and the OS disk image is restored to the new disk, will I able able to watch the protected recordings? Will the new OS drive have to be the same size or can it be larger and still keep the recordings playable (provided that my backup/restore software knows how to restore to a larger drive than the original)?

For the hard drive with the recordings, is it sufficient to back up the files or will I also have to disk image it to be able to restore successfully?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Yesterday, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Your question is really convoluted. And hard to understand.

But, if you make an image of your C:/ drive, and then restore it onto another HDD, you are back to where you started. All the crap about different sizes and protected content doesn't matter.
Old Yesterday, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 779 Post(s)
Liked: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by grittree View Post

But, if you make an image of your C:/ drive, and then restore it onto another HDD, you are back to where you started. All the crap about different sizes and protected content doesn't matter.
Not entirely true. Any copy protected recordings made since your image/backup was created won't be playable. I've confirmed this using backup/restore from WHS2011. Other than that a typical disk image or backup should work fine regardless of drive size. So making a single image of your system to restore in the event of a failure, might get your system online again, it isn't very useful for your DRM'ed recordings. Traditional backup done frequently is a much better solution in that scenario.

Recordings don't need to be part of the image (or in a separate image) As long as they are still present and PlayReady is still happy all should be well.

RAID protection is only for failed drives. That's it. It's no replacement for a proper backup.

Last edited by ajhieb; Yesterday at 07:27 PM.
Old Yesterday, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by grittree View Post

Windows ties the copy-protected recordings to (some of) the hardware, and my main concern was whether that included the drive with the OS or the other one with the recordings -- which would make restoring to a replacement hard drive useless.
Old Today, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 51
There is no problem with non-OS drives. You can plug in a usb drive, move a copy protected file there, and play it in WMC.