AVS Forum banner

Internal sound card vs. external DAC

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  lespurgeon 
#1 ·
If this is not the right place to post this please let me know where to go. I have a windows pc that I essentially use only for playing mp3s or streaming analog music throughout my house. I currently use a Asus Xonar Essence STX card > analog outs > multiple splitters, very long cable runs, and/or multiple amplifiers > speakers. I had an older sound card previous to the Xonar and there was considerable distortion when the signal finally reached the speakers. The Xonar was a big improvement and is more acceptable but I am replacing the computer due to age and it is time to reconsider my options.

Here is my question: I know many people prefer USB DACs for headphone use, opinions on whether one of these would provide me a stronger/cleaner signal (that would be amplified before it reached the sets of speakers) than an internal sound card?

#2 ·
If you are happy with the Xonar, i would just integrate it into whatever new computer you go with. I'm using ASUS Xonars in several HTPCs directly into power amps, and to my ears, i cannot hear any difference between the sound card analog outs versus a source through a preamp to to power amps. I have a Xonar HDAV1.3 Deluxe, a Essence ST and a STX, and a Xonar D1...

#3 ·
I currently use a Asus Xonar Essence STX card > analog outs > multiple splitters, very long cable runs, and/or multiple amplifiers > speakers. I had an older sound card previous to the Xonar and there was considerable distortion when the signal finally reached the speakers. The Xonar was a big improvement and is more acceptable but I am replacing the computer due to age and it is time to reconsider my options.

Here is my question: I know many people prefer USB DACs for headphone use, opinions on whether one of these would provide me a stronger/cleaner signal (that would be amplified before it reached the sets of speakers) than an internal sound card?
No, a USB DAC will not likely provide a signal suitable for long cable runs. Not the dongle type anyway. That's not what they're made to do.

I prefer to use a sound card with AES3 or S/PDIF output to a DAC over using the USB port. Your card has a Toslink connector, which would be the best choice for long cable runs. Your card doesn't appear to support any balanced line out so you would want to use a powered splitter for Toslink, or RCA XLR interface boxes to convert analog output to balanced line for long cable runs.

With Toslink, at the least you'll need a DAC and volume control at each destination. You'll also need various lengths of Toslink cable, and splitter(s). With analog audio you'll need a pair of DI / splitter boxes (or a single stereo one) to convert the line level output from the card to balanced line for the long cable runs. You'll also need something to convert back to home stereo type RCA plugs if your gear doesn't support XLR or TRS balanced line directly. And you'll need the balanced cable in various lengths times 2 for stereo. (You can send surround sound over Toslink; the card doesn't appear to have enough analog outputs to support more than 2, maybe 4 channels.) If you have more than 2 destination locations, you should use a distribution amp to drive each long cable run separately. Splitters will give you only 2 outputs with standard DI boxes and passive Toslink splitters.

#4 ·
For multiroom use you're probably best off moving the decoding/DAC to each room. Something sort of network music player in each room, like a Sonos, Squeezebox, etc. It would eliminate all the problems of long cable runs.

Further, the next best way to improve your audio is to improve your source, replace your MP3s with FLAC or some other lossless format.

Frankly, it's just not worth talking about the minuscule differences between DACs when you're handicapping yourself with lossy MP3s.

#5 ·
You might also want to look at Raspberry Pi2 solutions (with a proper DAC card with an i2s or USB connection), as a substitute for Sonos/Squeezebox official hardware.

This being said, using MP3, as indicated above, is less than optimal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.