DVD Rip with Menus - This is a quick question - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 09-10-2015, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
DVD Rip with Menus - This is a quick question

I have a nice home theater and use MakeMKV for all by Blu-Ray rips. I then use Plex for distribution to other devices. Normally with MakeMKV I just rip the main movie. I have a great home theater setup and everything is working fine but I have forgotten how to do something very basic.

I need to rip a few home exercise DVDs with the Menus for my wife. There are several in this package, but I just need to make sure the menu stays intact.

What software is best for that? If I use makemkv is it going to have multiple titles. Also, once I rip, can Plex be used?

If anyone reading this can just point me in the right direction I can probably take it from there.

Thanks in advance,
Stephen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-10-2015, 04:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Menu only work if you rip the entire disc as ISO files. Then, your choices for playback software will be extremely limited. Menus are not part of video at all.
post #3 of 11 Old 09-10-2015, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post
Menu only work if you rip the entire disc as ISO files. Then, your choices for playback software will be extremely limited. Menus are not part of video at all.
Thanks. That is exactly what I thought. I have been using one method for so long I almost forgot why. Menus were never and issue until this one case.
post #4 of 11 Old 09-10-2015, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1544 Post(s)
Liked: 1242
To be clear, menus are usually separate videos on a DVD: they have their own VOB files that contain the looping video and music for the menu. As Foxbat said, you lose all menu functionality if you convert to any other format. The menus only work if you keep the original VOB files.
post #5 of 11 Old 09-10-2015, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
To be clear, menus are usually separate videos on a DVD: they have their own VOB files that contain the looping video and music for the menu. As Foxbat said, you lose all menu functionality if you convert to any other format. The menus only work if you keep the original VOB files.
I think what I am going to do is rip it with MakeMKV and then put each DVD in a folder system that Plex will recognize like a tv series. That would probably work just fine for her.
post #6 of 11 Old 09-10-2015, 04:17 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Your other option would be to rip the DVD to .iso and then set up a RaspPi2 running Kodi in the exercise room. Just set up Kodi to read the shared folder with the .iso. You'll get full menu support that way.
post #7 of 11 Old 09-10-2015, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitbret View Post
Your other option would be to rip the DVD to .iso and then set up a RaspPi2 running Kodi in the exercise room. Just set up Kodi to read the shared folder with the .iso. You'll get full menu support that way.
Hmmm...That sounds interesting and I get to do a fun project! I might take a look at that. I haven't done anything yet with the RaspPI yet...but for, what, $35, seems like that could be some fun.
post #8 of 11 Old 09-10-2015, 06:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by smdavis1004 View Post
Hmmm...That sounds interesting and I get to do a fun project! I might take a look at that. I haven't done anything yet with the RaspPI yet...but for, what, $35, seems like that could be some fun.
That's assuming you've already got a remote control, IR Receiver and an old microSD card lying around. Just install OpenELEC. Make sure it's a RaspPi2, although the original Model B works pretty well if you overclock it and scale back the resolution for the home screens and menus.
post #9 of 11 Old 09-11-2015, 06:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Generally, what I have done in the past, is not bother with menus at all. Rip the disc, let mkvmerge break it up by chapters (and chapter information is generally there) and create separate MKV files. The chapters almost always sync up with the menus. (an e.g. is the Insanity series, which my wife uses everyday. Me? I'm a lazy slob).
post #10 of 11 Old 09-11-2015, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitbret View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapone View Post
Generally, what I have done in the past, is not bother with menus at all. Rip the disc, let mkvmerge break it up by chapters (and chapter information is generally there) and create separate MKV files. The chapters almost always sync up with the menus. (an e.g. is the Insanity series, which my wife uses everyday. Me? I'm a lazy slob).

This is exactly what I am going to do. I have always just used MakeMKV and now I am just about to use mkvmerge. I just tried it and didn't get it to separate correctly - so I did something wrong and will play around with it.

As for lazy slob - completely understand!
post #11 of 11 Old 09-11-2015, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Here is what I was able to do - any help is appreciated:

Rip DVD with MakeMKV. Then I was able to separate into the chapters for which there are 28. This is an exercise video. I normally use Plex to view and here is what I am trying to do:

The exercise videos are divided into these 28 chapters to provide a workout series. Each day you do a different combination of the chapter. So for example, day one may be chapters 1 through 10 and day two may be chapters 11-20. But then day three could be chapters 1,2-5, 6-10. etc.

Can I create a playlist of some sort that would just work in Plex? Or does anyone have another idea? I know I could do a merge program for each of the 7 days, but then I would end up with 7 larger mkv files when really I just need a way to change the order they play.

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page