new tool - Netflix Remote Controller - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 44Likes

post #1 of 341 Old 09-12-2015, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Arrow new tool - Netflix Remote Controller

I've created a new tool to allow Windows users to control the official Netflix app with a remote.

It runs in the background whilst you're watching Netflix, remapping your remote button presses to allow you to navigate through Netflix.

Features:
  • requires the official Netflix app (AKA Metro app) from the Windows App Store
  • this utility runs on Windows 10 and Windows 8.1 PC's
  • only 1920x1080 and 1360x768 resolutions tested so far, but may work on others
  • tested with standard Media Center Remote (Philips branded).

More info and download link:
http://sticky-ux.com/apps/NetflixRemoteController/

As this utility is in early stages, it needs your feedback if you wish development to continue.
When posting feedback, please include your:
  • NetflixRemoteController version number
  • Windows version
  • display resolution
  • remote

Last edited by mholgate; 09-14-2015 at 05:24 AM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 341 Old 09-12-2015, 06:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Awesome! I'll download this in the morning. I've been using my phone and the Unified Remote app but would love to use my WMC remote control.
post #3 of 341 Old 09-12-2015, 09:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hey Mholgate.

Great work!

I will post here going forward instead of pm'ing.

After downloading 0.01 from link I also tried 0.02.

The pause/play bug seems to be resolved, however the skip forward and previous still do not work for me. The previous takes me to the beginning.

I am using 1360x768 resolution.

post #4 of 341 Old 09-13-2015, 05:30 AM - Thread Starter

updated to version 0.03

I've updated the tool to add the following features:
  • Keys are only mapped when Netflix app is running - you no longer need to quit Netflix Remote Controller after you've finished with Netflix!
  • Added Ctrl-Alt-Q combo if you wish to manually quit this utility
  • MEDIA_NEXT button now skips the movie forward in big jumps, instead of FFwd button
  • MEDIA_PREV button now skips the movie back in big jumps, instead of Rwd button
  • When playing, press '0' to rewind back to beginning
  • Kodi support - added Kodi-friendly keymappings. Needs "MCE Remote" Kodi addon with default keymappings:
    Info button (ctrl-d), Red btn (ctrl-alt-1), Green btn (ctrl-alt-2), Yellow btn (ctrl-alt-3)

It's available at the same link mentioned in my first post above.
jmsnyc and jhughy2010 like this.

Last edited by mholgate; 09-13-2015 at 05:38 AM. Reason: typo
post #5 of 341 Old 09-13-2015, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mholgate View Post
I've updated the tool to add the following features:
  • Keys are only mapped when Netflix app is running - you no longer need to quit Netflix Remote Controller after you've finished with Netflix!
  • Added Ctrl-Alt-Q combo if you wish to manually quit this utility
  • MEDIA_NEXT button now skips the movie forward in big jumps, instead of FFwd button
  • MEDIA_PREV button now skips the movie back in big jumps, instead of Rwd button
  • When playing, press '0' to rewind back to beginning
  • Kodi support - added Kodi-friendly keymappings. Needs "MCE Remote" Kodi addon with default keymappings:
    Info button (ctrl-d), Red btn (ctrl-alt-1), Green btn (ctrl-alt-2), Yellow btn (ctrl-alt-3)

It's available at the same link mentioned in my first post above.
Just download and tried .03. Awesome work and thanks for putting the time into this!
The good news - the skip and prev buttons work! They do skip between 3-6 minutes each way however - on my 1360x768 resolution using a 720p tv.

Pressing 0 key does not go back to beginning on my pc though.
post #6 of 341 Old 09-13-2015, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsnyc View Post
Pressing 0 key does not go back to beginning on my pc though.
Strange as it works for me when I set it to your resolution. Are you pressing '0' (zero) on your keyboard or remote? Also, try waiting 10secs after playback has started and then try pressing '0' a few times.
jhughy2010 likes this.
post #7 of 341 Old 09-13-2015, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Just download and tried .03...
Also, make sure you just have one copy of the utility running at any one time - no old copies. You may need to restart to be sure.
jhughy2010 likes this.
post #8 of 341 Old 09-13-2015, 12:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Really nice work!!!! It works really well for me so far.

"0" doesn't do anything on the remote, however, it does work on the keyboard. It brought the show back to 39 seconds or something like that. I'm running 1080p.

Skip forward or chapter skip on the remote has big jumps as others have mentioned.

The pause button seems to be more reliable. I have had mixed results in the past with it working/not working. Usually, I use my remote anyway because it has the little pad on it. This tool has made life easier for sure. I'm using the Ortek remote.

The Ortek has a back button. This seems to work great... also the OK button works as well.

Is there a way to get the rewind/fast forward buttons to have functionality? A 30 second skip would be really great.

Anyhow, this tool is especially helpful with the Ortek remote because the Ortek has that mouse pad that can fine tune the mouse cursor after this tool has done its job at getting you across the screen quickly. My TV has a lot of input lag for the mouse so again, this tool is really helpful for that.

Really good job!!! If I could give you a 100 thumbs up I would!
mholgate likes this.
post #9 of 341 Old 09-15-2015, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

Future features

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010 View Post
Really nice work!!!! It works really well for me so far.
"0" doesn't do anything on the remote, however, it does work on the keyboard.
Seeing as it works via your keyboard I'm assuming that '0' on your remote is being received differently. I'll send you an update by PM to see if it fixes that for you.

Quote:
Skip forward or chapter skip on the remote has big jumps as others have mentioned...
Is there a way to get the rewind/fast forward buttons to have functionality? A 30 second skip would be really great.
Will be looking at these two issues in a future update so stay tuned.

Also, I plan to get the script working with Large* app tiles mode (which looks great on a TV when viewing Netflix from a distance in Windows 8.1) as soon as I can figure out how to enable this setting in Windows 10.

*Large tile mode can be enabled in Windows 8.1 if you go to:
PC settings > Display > More options > "Change the size of apps, text, and other items on the screen (only applies to displays that can support it)"
and change "Default" to "Larger"
jhughy2010 likes this.
post #10 of 341 Old 09-15-2015, 01:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Great work! "0" on the remote now brings me back to the beginning (about the 30 second mark). Skip forward has about a 4 minute 20 second interval (very doable).

"large" has no effect versus "small" I wonder if I am improperly enabling this. The only thing that gets bigger are desktop icons and text. Netflix in-app looks the same.

EDIT: I figured it out... I was using the display settings and not the PC settings. PC settings just changes the apps and doesn't effect the desktop. Display settings does the opposite. Netflix does look good bigger. Remote functionality doesn't work though... please let us know when this feature happens I never knew Netflix would look better by changing this setting.

Last edited by jhughy2010; 09-15-2015 at 01:53 PM.
post #11 of 341 Old 09-15-2015, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
"large" has no effect versus "small" I wonder if I am improperly enabling this. The only thing that gets bigger are desktop icons and text. Netflix in-app looks the same.
This doesn't change Netflix on my Windows 10 setup at all, perhaps because I'm running it in a virtual machine environment, so I'm keen to see how Netflix looks on a system where it works.
Quote:
EDIT: I figured it out... I was using the display settings and not the PC settings. PC settings just changes the apps and doesn't effect the desktop. Display settings does the opposite. Netflix does look good bigger. Remote functionality doesn't work though... please let us know when this feature happens I never knew Netflix would look better by changing this setting.
  • Can you send me some screenshots of how your fullscreen Netflix looks in the largest display mode?
  • Also, can you send me a screenshot of how your Windows' Display Settings dialog looks? - the one with the "Small" > "Larger" setting? Mine doesn't even say Small/Larger.
post #12 of 341 Old 09-15-2015, 03:07 PM

Just downloaded .004 version

Still same issues - skip forward and back skips about 11 minutes, 0 on keyboard and 0 on remote skip back too but not close to beginning

key echo software shows 0 on keyboard as 0) key and on remote shows as numpad0
post #13 of 341 Old 09-16-2015, 06:50 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
I've created a new tool to allow Windows users to control the official Netflix app with a remote.

It runs in the background whilst you're watching Netflix, remapping your remote button presses to allow you to navigate through Netflix.

Features:
  • requires the official Netflix app (AKA Metro app) from the Windows App Store
  • this utility runs on Windows 10 and Windows 8.1 PC's
  • only 1920x1080 and 1360x768 resolutions tested so far, but may work on others
  • tested with standard Media Center Remote (Philips branded).

More info and download link:
http://sticky-ux.com/apps/NetflixRemoteController/

As this utility is in early stages, it needs your feedback if you wish development to continue.
When posting feedback, please include your:
  • NetflixRemoteController version number
  • Windows version
  • display resolution
  • remote
thanks for this! any chance you will create something similar for Windows 7?
post #14 of 341 Old 09-16-2015, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
This doesn't change Netflix on my Windows 10 setup at all, perhaps because I'm running it in a virtual machine environment, so I'm keen to see how Netflix looks on a system where it works.
  • Can you send me some screenshots of how your fullscreen Netflix looks in the largest display mode?
  • Also, can you send me a screenshot of how your Windows' Display Settings dialog looks? - the one with the "Small" > "Larger" setting? Mine doesn't even say Small/Larger.
I couldn't get screenshot to work with my HTPC keyboard. Here are some cell phone pics:

Here is a pic of the Display Settings (which doesn't have an effect on Netflix, only effects desktop icons and text on screen).

Here is the config screen that lets you adjust how big apps are... changing this setting to Large effects Netflix.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150916_085419.jpg
Views:	9274
Size:	246.1 KB
ID:	943202   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150916_085338.jpg
Views:	8079
Size:	207.6 KB
ID:	943210   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150916_085403.jpg
Views:	8017
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	943218  
post #15 of 341 Old 09-16-2015, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by freetvEE View Post
thanks for this! any chance you will create something similar for Windows 7?
My utility requires the Netflix app. The Netflix app is only available from the Windows Store AFAIK. To access the Windows Store you need Windows 8/8.1/10 AFAIK.
To summarise, if you can get Netflix app installed on your system then Netflix Remote Controller should work.
post #16 of 341 Old 09-16-2015, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Here are some cell phone pics
Thanks, but are these pics of a Windows8.1 system or a Windows10 one? I'm trying to get "Larger" display mode working on the latter.
post #17 of 341 Old 09-16-2015, 01:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks, but are these pics of a Windows8.1 system or a Windows10 one? I'm trying to get "Larger" display mode working on the latter.
Oh yeah... Win 8.1 sorry.
post #18 of 341 Old 09-16-2015, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

updated to version 0.05

Quote:
0 on keyboard and 0 on remote skip back too but not close to beginning
In ver 0.05, pressing '0' during playback should now go right back to the beginning of the movie.
post #19 of 341 Old 09-17-2015, 02:33 AM - Thread Starter

feedback info I need if you have an issue

If you are having issues with this tool, I'll need to know the following info when you submit your feedback:
  • version number of NetflixRemoteController you are using
  • Windows version
  • display resolution
  • remote name/type

Also, make sure:
  • you only have one instance of this tool running at any one time
  • you are running Netflix fullscreen, and in 100% display mode (see my 1st post in this thread)
  • try the corresponding button on your keyboard to see if it's a problem with your remote or not - see Keys/Buttons section.
jhughy2010 likes this.
post #20 of 341 Old 09-18-2015, 01:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsnyc
Quick question, is it possible to adjust the lengths of the jumps ?
Not yet - will be adding a feature to allow the Rwd/Ffwd buttons to jump small increments; whilst leaving Next/Prev buttons to jump large increments.
jhughy2010 likes this.
post #21 of 341 Old 09-18-2015, 08:19 AM

Thanks again. That would be great !
post #22 of 341 Old 09-18-2015, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Very interesting project. One of the main reasons I've steared clear of 8 is that the modern UI was just unusable with a remote control (especially Netflix). This has a lot of potential, as does the 'modern UI' as a HTPC interface. I'm just using plain Microsoft RC6 remote controls (the originals, not OEM versions) to control WMC. I'm assuming this is your base standard for remote support.

Do you also have plans to extend this application to support other Windows 8 'modern' media-type applications that maybe aren't as remote control friendly as they could be?
jhughy2010 likes this.
post #23 of 341 Old 09-19-2015, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tman247 View Post
Very interesting project. One of the main reasons I've steared clear of 8 is that the modern UI was just unusable with a remote control (especially Netflix). This has a lot of potential, as does the 'modern UI' as a HTPC interface. I'm just using plain Microsoft RC6 remote controls (the originals, not OEM versions) to control WMC. I'm assuming this is your base standard for remote support.
Yes, that sounds like the same remote protocol I have been testing with. Mine is Philips branded and it works very well.
Quote:
Do you also have plans to extend this application to support other Windows 8 'modern' media-type applications that maybe aren't as remote control friendly as they could be?
Netflix only at this stage I'm afraid.
post #24 of 341 Old 09-19-2015, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Updated to 0.06

See Changelog page on my site for details.
BaronVonBraun likes this.
post #25 of 341 Old 09-22-2015, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Working great from Kodi and advanced launcher. Only issue I have is how to exit the program via a remote? Do I just have to config a alt+f4 to close the window to a button?

EDIT:

Mapped Alt+F4 to one of my remote keys (I have a Harmony hub/remote) and it will exit out of the Netflix app and back to Kodi and Kodi is still running BUT it's not the active Windows anymore and I have to grab the mouse in order to click to bring the Kodi program to be the active Window.

EDIT 2:

Mapped the button in Harmony to send Alt+F4, wait 2 second, then send Alt+Tab to bring Kodi back to the Active window. Works like a charm.

Last edited by getochkn; 09-22-2015 at 06:13 PM.
post #26 of 341 Old 09-23-2015, 12:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by getochkn View Post
Working great from Kodi and advanced launcher. Only issue I have is how to exit the program via a remote?
Do you need to exit the program? Glad you got it working anyway.
post #27 of 341 Old 09-23-2015, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Do you need to exit the program? Glad you got it working anyway.
Yes, I run Kodi as my main media center, so using a kodi add-on called advanced launcher, I launcher netflix with my remote from a shortcut on my home screen, so if I'm done watching netflix and wanted to return to kodi, which is still running, then I needed a way.

Video demo of it working.
jhughy2010 likes this.

Last edited by getochkn; 09-23-2015 at 11:21 AM.
post #28 of 341 Old 09-23-2015, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

updated to version 0.07

Added more command-line parameters: "netflixstart" and "netflixquit".
See main page for details.
jhughy2010 likes this.
post #29 of 341 Old 09-24-2015, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

updated to version 0.08

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsnyc
Quick question, is it possible to adjust the lengths of the jumps ?
This feature has now been added.
More details & download link via the Netflix Remote Controller website: http://sticky-ux.com/apps/NetflixRemoteController/
jhughy2010 likes this.
post #30 of 341 Old 10-05-2015, 08:58 PM

Hi, havent been on here in awhile. My remote has a close command button. That one won't close your app, right? Only ctrl-alt-q.? Or does your app close when Netflix closes (without the quit parameter )? Thanks.

Also, nextflix start isnt working for me. It gets an error asking how to open netflix (with lowercase n)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
app , control , htpc , Netflix , remote

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page