Would video card upgrade help with S-video out? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By springmaker

post #1 of 12 Old 11-05-2015, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Would video card upgrade help with S-video out?

Hi
This is probably an odd ball question but maybe somebody might know.
Thanks.

Would upgrading the video card offload the cpu somewhat? I have read that it will when using HDMI but I don't know about when using S-Video.

I have an HTPC using old hardware that I had laying around. The video jerks about once a second when playing back mkv files that I have copied from my blu-ray disks.
MKVs copied from DVDs work fine and after transcoding the blu-ray mkvs to smaller mp4s works good.
I can log in through ssh and watch the cpu usage and it tops out at 100% when the jerk happens. I am going through S-Video to an old crt tv.

IBM pc P4 3.2Ghz, 1 GB ram, GeForce 7200le (pci-e) HP mce remote
Running headless, except for the S-Video of course.
PCLinuxos LXDE, KODI with Plexbmc streaming through DLNA from plex server over wired 100Mb.

Does everything I need it to except that. I would rather not have to transcode all the files. I found a cheap GeForce 9500 GT but I didn't buy it because i wasn't sure if it would make any difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-05-2015, 02:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1287 Post(s)
Liked: 579
First, you will almost certainly lose S-Video on any upgrade, I don't recall seeing that on any video card for ages.

Second, why are you even bothering with Blu-ray when you're using S-Video to a CRT?

Though, if you can find a 9500 with S-Video, it should help so long as whatever player you're using supports hardware acceleration with that card still. Though I would not be inclined to put any money into anything that old, especially if it's just feeding S-Video to your TV.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #3 of 12 Old 11-05-2015, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.

I had been buying disks and I figure why buy DVD if blu-ray is available since the prices have come down. Kind of cash strapped right now so can't justify putting a lot of money in to hardware.
Also (WAF)
Probably will get an HD tv within a year or so.

So unless the player supports hardware acceleration a video card upgrade won't help.
I'm just using the default Kodi player.

I had found a used 9500 for $8.00 on craig's list but it is gone now.
Just wondering if it is worth it to keep looking.

I guess I will get to transcoding and when we get an HDTV I can always re-copy the files since I will be deleting the old ones to save disk space.
post #4 of 12 Old 11-06-2015, 12:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 114
I hate to say it but you really ought to buy a new TV.

When I read S-Video I thought I'd gone back in time about a decade or someone had bumped an old thread from the dead or something, for some irrelevant reason. Imagine my shock when I found out that wasn't the case at all

Your CPU is much much too slow to decode AVC or similar (which is what you'd be ripping a BD to in most cases); a P4 has no hope of decoding 1080p video, not even MPEG-2 and unlike any modern CPU it has no ASIC-type decoding ability to do so. A C2D running around 3Ghz can just barely do high quality 1080p AVC, and that's a CPU that's like 5x faster than yours, lol; not to mention quite old itself now.

Any modern GPU (even the cheapest of the cheap HD 5450s and GT 730s) will do the decoding fine but the problem there is S-Video--nothing has S-Video out anymore and the quality is terrible anyway that I'm not sure why you'd want to use that (S-video out from a PC looks horrible as I recall).

Can't you get a decent 720p 32" TV these days for less than $200? Even that would likely be larger than your CRT and be much better suited for what you're trying to do. And with BF coming up, you'll probably find 40-50" 1080p sets for like $300.
post #5 of 12 Old 11-06-2015, 03:25 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The latest videocard with S video was the 4000 series Amd cards so a Amd 4350 with S video would be perfect as it has full hardware acceleration for all the supported Bluray codecs (except 3D) and will playback your mkv rips. The 7200 card you are using only has partial acceleration for bluray codecs vc1 and mpeg 4 that is why its maxing your cpu.
The Nvidia 9500 also has full hardware acceleration if you can find one with s video.
lespurgeon likes this.
post #6 of 12 Old 11-06-2015, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 33
You could upgrade your video card to a current model and get an external HDMI to S-Video converter like this http://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Composi...ideo+converter
post #7 of 12 Old 11-06-2015, 05:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1287 Post(s)
Liked: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by springmaker View Post
The latest videocard with S video was the 4000 series Amd cards so a Amd 4350 with S video would be perfect as it has full hardware acceleration for all the supported Bluray codecs (except 3D) and will playback your mkv rips. The 7200 card you are using only has partial acceleration for bluray codecs vc1 and mpeg 4 that is why its maxing your cpu.
The Nvidia 9500 also has full hardware acceleration if you can find one with s video.
The big question is does his software (Kodi) support it. I know the latest OpenELEC's nVidia drivers don't support cards that old anymore. Maybe the OP should look into a media player of some sort with S-Video (if there are any).

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #8 of 12 Old 11-06-2015, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I do agree it is time to give up the CRT. A 30" 1080p TV is <$500. A new low-end capable computer at $300 or so would save its cost in electricity savings over the P4 over time, but you might need to get a room heater in the winter that would negate those savings.
post #9 of 12 Old 11-06-2015, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all your comments. I appreciate it.
I get it.
This really started out as just kind of a fun project to see if I could set up a Kodi client streaming from a Plex server. I wanted to see if I could get it simple enough for the wife to use. We haven't bought an HDTV yet but I hope to in the next year or so. We are on a fixed income so there is not a lot of disposable income. I don't want to spend $200 on a 34" tv now which would take money away from what I could spend on a larger one later. I would like to go 50" +.

My Plex server is actually a capable HTPC ( I3-2120 with a GeForce GT 630) so I should be covered when I get an HDTV. Unfortunately I can't put the 7200GS card in it because it is a small server motherboard (got a good deal on it) and it only has a PCI-e x8 slot.

So I just wanted to see if there was a cheap solution to the stuttering on the old one. I have thought about adapters etc., but they would be $30 and up and I don't want to put a lot in to the old system that can't be reused on something newer. I figured if I could find a solution around $10 I would go for it but that old system isn't worth putting a lot more money in.

"The Nvidia 9500 also has full hardware acceleration if you can find one with s video."
You guys made me start thinking and researching more and yes, the 9500 does have full vdpau support and the Kodi player does support it also. I should have bought the one I found for $8. In the mean time I will just have to transcode and keep looking for a 9500. No big deal. Just a bunch of extra work. Except for that, it is doing almost everything that I want it to. The only other thing that I want to iron out is that when I put it in to sleep mode I have to walk over and hit the button to bring it back. I want to be able to bring it out of sleep mode with the remote. I may have to get a little ir switch to go between the power switch and the mother board.

Thanks again for all your comments.
post #10 of 12 Old 11-07-2015, 06:47 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 21
A Raspberry Pi sounds perfect for you. It runs Kodi (Openelec), has analog video out, and would probably perform better (video wise) than the pc you are using. Would also use a whole heck of a lot less electricity.
post #11 of 12 Old 11-29-2015, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Hi
Sorry to bump this thread but I thought I would share my solution for the one or two people in the universe who might be interested.
Now I feel really stupid. All I had to do was go in to the plexbmc settings on the client, check force transcoding and then pick the setting I wanted.
10Mbs 1080P seems to be the best trade off between quality and smooth playback. The CPU usage stays around 50% with an occasional rise to 70%. Surprisingly, 1.5 Mbs 480P looks a lot worse, even on the 27 year old 27" TV. Actually the old TV looks pretty good at about 6' back. especially with blu-rays.
Itching to get a big screen when finances permit. I hope OLED prices come down a lot in the next year.
post #12 of 12 Old 12-02-2015, 01:21 PM

Liked: 10
I understand

I understand. You just wanna see a vision through. I reccomend one of the lower Radeon HD cards (2000,3000,4000). The "HD" implies that it supports high def video resolutions on the card itself. I have a 3870 card laying around just for testing and "let's see" purposes. See your project through man! :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page