What is needed exactly to get SBS 3D MKV playback from an HTPC? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 11-24-2015, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 16
What is needed exactly to get SBS 3D MKV playback from an HTPC?

Previously using a Mede8er for some 3D MKV playback to my Epson 6030 projector, but thought I'd experiment with moving to Plex running on an Intel NUC.

I tried switching the NUC through my HDMI 1.3 receiver, which I know technically does not pass through 3D, and after manually switching my projector to SBS 3D (which I had to do with the Mede8er as well) the picture is stable but is not in 3D.

Is this due to my HDMI 1.3 receiver, or does something have to be configured in Windows to output 3D? I've read some threads that indicate HDMI 1.3 receivers should be able to pass through SBS 3D but I'm not certain if that's true...

Any help appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-24-2015, 06:53 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 413
SBS 3D puts two frames (squeezed horizontally) side-by-side in a normal video frame so that it can be passed through any device or playback software until it reaches TV. Then you will have to manually setup TV to SBS 3D mode (there is no way for any device to know if this is SBS 3D or not automatically). Before you switch your TV over, you should see two squeezed pictures side-by-side on screen. There is also top-n-bottom 3D. Make sure your TV 3D mode is set to match the picture frame.
post #3 of 9 Old 11-24-2015, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
SBS 3D puts two frames (squeezed horizontally) side-by-side in a normal video frame so that it can be passed through any device or playback software until it reaches TV. Then you will have to manually setup TV to SBS 3D mode (there is no way for any device to know if this is SBS 3D or not automatically). Before you switch your TV over, you should see two squeezed pictures side-by-side on screen. There is also top-n-bottom 3D. Make sure your TV 3D mode is set to match the picture frame.
Thanks. That's what I thought too, but something in my path is affecting it.

I normally used a Mede8er player to play 3D MKVs on my Epson 6030. This device is hooked directly to HDMI 2 on my projector, and an optical cable outputs audio to my receiver. When playing back a SBS 3D MKV the picture looks split like you say. I go to my projector 3D mode options and change it to SBS, and the picture combines but there is a "judder" to the picture. I then turn on my 3D glasses and when I put them on the "judder" is replaced with a stable 3D picture.

As a test, I passed the HDMI output of my Mede8er through my receiver instead. With this setup I still get the split screen video. I turn on the SBS 3D mode on my projector and the picture still combines, but there is no longer a "judder" to the picture - it looks stable without 3D glasses. Turning on and putting on my 3D glasses has no affect - it's still a 2D image.

I know the Mede8er works fine, so my only guess is that my receiver is affecting the signal somehow. For the record, it's a Yamaha RX-V1800.

Does this make any sense?

post #4 of 9 Old 11-24-2015, 07:41 AM

Turn off the video processing on your Yamaha and see what happens.
post #5 of 9 Old 11-24-2015, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I looked for any kind of video processing option and the only thing I saw was a 'video conversion' option which I believe allows me to upconvert component to HDMI and also convert lower res HDMI to higher res. It was set to pass through HDMI. I went ahead and disabled the whole option anyway and had the same issue - stable 2D picture when the projector is in SBS mode...

I also replaced the cable going to the receiver since it was an older one but that made no difference.
post #6 of 9 Old 11-24-2015, 08:40 AM

If you are using HDMI and actually saw the pictures, the cable won't make any differences. The only thing I can think of is making sure the receiver is outputting a progressive signal, e.g. 1080p. Otherwise, you will need to ask question in your receiver's owners thread.
post #7 of 9 Old 11-24-2015, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well, I ended up buying a new receiver. Problem solved (the expensive way).

I MAY have been doing something stupid with my projector, however. I was using a universal remote so did not see the full array of buttons available on the projector remote. After the fact I noticed that, in addition to the 3D MODE button there was a 2D/3D button that kicks the projector in and out of 3D mode in general. I'm wondering if perhaps the projector remembered the state of the sources outside of the receiver switched input, causing it to be in 3D mode. Perhaps the receiver switched source was in 2D mode, despite whatever I was setting with the 3D MODE button and maybe I needed to hit the 2D/3D button to kick the projector into 3D mode.

I'm not interested in switching everything back to test at this point, but wanted to mention it just in case someone else runs across a similar issue.
post #8 of 9 Old 11-25-2015, 11:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Boulanger View Post
Well, I ended up buying a new receiver. Problem solved (the expensive way).

I MAY have been doing something stupid with my projector, however. I was using a universal remote so did not see the full array of buttons available on the projector remote. After the fact I noticed that, in addition to the 3D MODE button there was a 2D/3D button that kicks the projector in and out of 3D mode in general. I'm wondering if perhaps the projector remembered the state of the sources outside of the receiver switched input, causing it to be in 3D mode. Perhaps the receiver switched source was in 2D mode, despite whatever I was setting with the 3D MODE button and maybe I needed to hit the 2D/3D button to kick the projector into 3D mode.

I'm not interested in switching everything back to test at this point, but wanted to mention it just in case someone else runs across a similar issue.
Yes, I have an Epson 5020, and you do need to turn 3D on in order for the SBS bit to work.
post #9 of 9 Old 11-25-2015, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yes, I have an Epson 5020, and you do need to turn 3D on in order for the SBS bit to work.
Just not sure why I never needed to turn it on when using my Mede8er or HTPC on HDMI 2, and 2D looked fine. Oh well. Was thinking of a new receiver anyway so not going back, but perhaps my other receiver would have been fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page