AVS Forum banner

New Build Advice - especially for Video Card

314 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Riggae 
#1 ·
Dear Forum members,

Request your help/inputs to decide on the video card for a multipurpose desk top (my first one) i am planning to build shortly.

Usage: HTPC/ Photo Video Editing/ Storage

Software - Emby/Lightroom /Photoshop/Adobe Premiere Pro/ Cyberlink Powerdirector

Proposed Build:

MSI Z97 Gaming 6 Motherboard
i7 4790k
16gb RAM
500 Gb SSD
4TB HDD

I need suggestion for the video card

Will GTX 750 ti suffice my requirements or GTX 970 is preferable.

Any help appreciated.

Regards,
Kenny.

See less See more
#2 ·
Ehh forget the 750 Ti, it was never all that great and is overpriced (well all cards are these days but that's another story). Might as well go for a GTX 950 instead of that given much improved gaming performance over the 750 Ti (950 is just slightly faster than an HD 7870/R9 270X) and it has some "future proof" features like HEVC decoding and HDMI 2.0 output. I think in the US the 950 is only like $20-30 more than a 750 Ti, so there's really no point in the 750 Ti anymore, IMO.

OTOH not even a 750 Ti is really needed for what you seem to be using it for (no gaming, no madVR, etc.). Lower end cards aren't worth buying anymore either, because the iGPU in the CPU will be as good as anything below this level anyhow.

So, might as well just stick to built-in graphics. Either that or go for a 950, but it's still overkill unless you plan on doing at least some gaming or using stuff like madVR.

#4 ·
Thank you so much ES_Revenge, possibly I will go for GTX 960.

Thank you so much Slosh, Z170/6700 combo would increase my budget, moreover already purchased DDR3 1600 RAM, hence will settle for the same MB/CPU combo.

Once again thanks for your time and suggestions.

#3 ·
Your proposed build is nearly the same as my primary desktop PC that I use in my bedroom, which also does HTPC duty (I have a dedicated HTPC in my livingroom as well). You'll also need a decent CPU cooler as the 4790K will quickly ramp up to thermal throttling when you put a load on it even without an overclock if using the woefully inadequate (for this CPU) stock Intel cooler. I have a $35 Cryorig H7 cooler on mine that I'm happy with (runs cool and is quiet with the CPU fan set to normal, plus it doesn't block any of my RAM slots). FWIW, I'm overclocked to 4.6 GHz at 1.24 volts. I'm just using the integrated graphics and have no complaints (I'm not a gamer) but will look into a GPU if/when I replace my current TV with a 4K model.

I built my PC in 2014 and it is definitely overkill for my current needs and it will likely be several years before I outgrow it, but if I were doing it today I would be using a 6700K, a Z170 motherboard, and DDR4 RAM. The increase in cost is marginal plus you have an upgrade path, whereas with an 1150-socket motherboard the 4790K is already as good as it will ever get. I know the 6700K performs about the same the 4790K but I doubt this will end up being the ultimate 1151-socket CPU. Plus the Z170 chipset has some nice upgrades over Z97 which may prove to be useful down the road (such as more PCI express lanes and USB3.1).

#6 ·
Don't bother with a card right now. Just stick with the Intel HD Graphics. Next year, Nvidia will be releasing Pascal GPUs, which will have everything you want for future-proof media use, plus a good amount of GPU power for gaming and content creation with lower power consumption than present Maxwell GPUs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.